Author Topic: name a player Danny has traded away or let go that exceled  (Read 13433 times)

Re: name a player Danny has traded away or let go that exceled
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 01:16:42 AM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
My definition of excel is taking a team to the top. None of the players mentioned have helped drastically in the win column for their respective teams. Most like Gomes, T.A. , etc. are role players. Their all replaceable and not solid rocks like the big four. You can upgrade everyone whose been traded. That includes Perkins and his Bernard King knees.

Since the addition of KG, Ainge has built a team who can flat out win anytime they play. Night in, night out. You take that all night long from a gm. No matter who he did or didn't  trade away. This current team can beat anyone.

What did they start the season ? Twenty something and 2 once again ? What happens when the bigs are healthy and Green is playing 25 mins off the bench, Krstic 10-15?

Another solid team who your not betting against in a 7 game series, that's what happens

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 01:18:16 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Delonte West... but we got him back!

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 01:19:27 AM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Chris Anderson and Al Jefferson probably. But we got KG for AL so how could we complain?

Chris Andersen was never on the Celtics.

If I'm not mistaken he tried out for the Celtics in training camp or something and got cut (same for Dahntay Jones).

Wasn't Dahntay Jones traded with former BC star Troy Bell on draft night for Perkaderk and Marcus Banks?

And I'm not sure how much Al Jefferson has excelled. Minnesota traded him for Kosta Kufos and draft picks and Utah has been very disappointed with him.

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 01:19:54 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Chris Anderson and Al Jefferson probably. But we got KG for AL so how could we complain?

If I'm not mistaken he tried out for the Celtics in training camp or something and got cut (same for Dahntay Jones).

Wasn't the D.Jones pick swapped on draft day for Marcus Banks?  

Ah, the memory is the first to go...

He was.

But Jones was also signed to a free agent contract during training camp before the 2007-08 season, and cut a month later.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 01:20:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Nope, there were rumors that the C's had interest in him a few years ago, but thats it.  A lot of people point to him saying he wanted to play for the Celtics when he was a free agent, but there was never any thing to suggest he would have even signed for what the C's had to offer (vet minimum).

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 01:21:32 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Gerald Green.

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 01:27:29 AM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Doesnt qualify as traded away or let go, but drafting Gabe Pruitt over Marc Gasol in 2007 turned out to be quite a mistake.  The younger brother wound up being key piece for the Lakers robbing Memphis for Pau.

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 01:28:33 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
As for the question, Delonte West was traded, and became an integral part of a VERY good team in Cleveland.  

Danny also traded the rights to Brandon Roy, and even though the injuries have derailed his career for the moment, he did a ton to revive the Portland franchise.

And while Antoine had some struggles after being traded, Danny didn't really win that one given what he took on.

I really don't think we should be focussing on what Danny gave up though.  You have to give up something to get something.  The question is, whether what he got makes the team better now and into the future.  Perkins could go on to be an All-star, and if the C's win the championship this year, and Green and the draft pick become integral parts of the future then it was a great deal.  And if Perkins doesn't go on to a lot of success, but it doesn't work out for the C's, its still a bad trade, because what Perkins does on another team has little to do with how much he would have helped this team.

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 01:30:27 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
By this logic he should trade away Rondo and be like "hey. Who have I ever traded away that excelled?"

that actually is a complete wrong extension of the argument. he is just saying that when danny trades people he knows what he's doing and has a good track record providing evidence as so.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 01:31:06 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
A lot of the players traded away weren't expected to excel.  AL J was and did. Gomes and Delonte are doing about what they were expected to do.

Green didn't, but he was a very young player. Everyone knew there was an element of risk there. No guarantees.

Bassy is still kicking around doing what he does. I don't think anyone thought he'd be an all-star.

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »

Offline jimmywolfrey

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Al Jefferson and Delonte West, and Brandon Roy, and the #5 pick (Jeff Green) are the only players that really come to mind.  Gomes is a good role player I guess.

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You folks and me have a different definition of excel.   

West hasn't excelled folks but he contributes nightly.  Same is truf Gomes.  Roy did for a while but he could be done now with career ending injuries.  He still plays and some nights well but father time and his knees are a ticking timebomb.  AJ is solid offensively but horrible on defense.  Since basketball is a game of two sides I think we did ok in the trade.

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

Nope, there were rumors that the C's had interest in him a few years ago, but thats it.  A lot of people point to him saying he wanted to play for the Celtics when he was a free agent, but there was never any thing to suggest he would have even signed for what the C's had to offer (vet minimum).

I remember Andersen saying in an interview that he was in Boston for a try-out. He even said he understood their decision - they eventually signed Patrick O'Bryant - because he was still a bit out of shape and the tryout didn't go too well for him.

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Al Jefferson.

Totally disagree. Al still can't guard a chair.

Nor can he pass, draw fouls or score efficiently. Jefferson has been very underwhelming since he left Boston. He may have regressed a bit, actually.

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 10:45:21 AM »

Offline jimmywolfrey

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
You folks and me have a different definition of excel.   

West hasn't excelled folks but he contributes nightly.  Same is truf Gomes.  Roy did for a while but he could be done now with career ending injuries.  He still plays and some nights well but father time and his knees are a ticking timebomb.  AJ is solid offensively but horrible on defense.  Since basketball is a game of two sides I think we did ok in the trade.

Dwest did excel as a starting PG and SG for one of the top teams in the league.  Roy was and is an all star dispite having the bad knees.  They both made their teams alot better.  Jefferson is a productive player in a lineup where he has a clone next to him in Millsap. 

All three exceled...  Its not about what about who got the better of the trades... Cs went to two finals winning one...that should end that talk.  But to say that those players haven't developed their games greatly and exceled is just being ignorant.