Author Topic: Switch Pierce and Garnetts defensive assignments  (Read 9154 times)

Re: Switch Pierce and Garnetts defensive assignments
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
KG would get DESTROYED by Lebron. Kg doesn't have the lateral quickness he once had and even if he did he still couldn't keep up with Lebron. Lebron is the best player in this league and the celts are not going to stop him they just have to slow down everyone else
News flash Pierce got destroyed by Lebron. I think Pierces legs were gone by the end of the game which contributed to him missing a few wide open shots at the end of the fourth. You dont want your best offensive player playing their best offensive player. The first five minutes of game 2 you let KG guard Lebron and see what happens. Doc needs to think outside the box.

When you say Pierce got destroyed, though, you're talking about a player who averages 30 a game (and who averaged 35 last year) scoring 35. 15% above your average doesn't constitute destroying someone.

Putting KG on LeBron is bad for a variety of reasons. He can't keep LeBron in front of him, he'll quickly get into foul trouble, and he can't help control the paint if he's on the perimeter. KG will also tire quickly.

Cleveland made a adjustment on Rondo in the second half and it worked. They put the bigger Parker on Rondo and put Mo Williams on Ray. Though convential wisdom would have said Parker cant stay in front on Rondo.("Putting KG on LeBron is bad for a variety of reasons. He can't keep LeBron in front of him")  

You try adjustments in limited minutes and guage results. That what good coaches do. Once Mo Williams was guarding Ray how many times did we post Ray? Once? Twice? You cant keep going to the same failed plan and expect different results.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
LeBron is a much better outside shooter than Rondo, and he's also better at drawing fouls and getting quality inside shots. Those two attributes make this adjustment unlikely to be effective.

Putting KG on him isn't something we want to do, KG is our best help defender, we need him to help out on LeBron.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 10:27:03 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
LeBron is a much better outside shooter than Rondo, and he's also better at drawing fouls and getting quality inside shots. Those two attributes make this adjustment unlikely to be effective.

Putting KG on him isn't something we want to do, KG is our best help defender, we need him to help out on LeBron.

Yep.

If KG gets matched up on Lebron on a switch Im all for it but he probably cant take him as his main assignement.

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
The main adjustment the C's need to make isn't how they're defending LeBron. Pierce did a solid job, he just needs to get some help from our bench wings. If the Cavs continue to defend Rondo like they did in the second half the rest of the team needs to make the open looks that generates.

Improved fourth quarter shooting and execution is all the C's needed.

Ah improved execution they havnt been able to execute in the fourth quarter all year. You cant help on Lebron cause every other cavs player  Shaq,Jamison,Williams,Parker,Varejoe,West can all hit shots and score. Helping on Lebron is a failed concept.

What you need to do is run different looks at him and make him work all game. Make him guard Pierce on defense, play KG on him, when Tony comes in have him chase Lebron all over the court. Wear him down.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The main adjustment the C's need to make isn't how they're defending LeBron. Pierce did a solid job, he just needs to get some help from our bench wings. If the Cavs continue to defend Rondo like they did in the second half the rest of the team needs to make the open looks that generates.

Ah improved execution they havnt been able to execute in the fourth quater all year. You cant help on Lebron cause every other cavs player  Shaq,Jamison,Williams,Parker,Varejoe,West can all hit shots and score. Helping on Lebron is a failed concept.

What you need to do is run different looks at him and make him work all game. Make him guard Pierce on defense, play KG on him, when Tony comes in have him chase Lebron all over the court. Wear him down.
We also don't want KG cross matched on LeBron. Pierce would end up on PFs too often.

I'm all for different looks, I just don't like KG manning up LeBron.

If anything KG should come trap him, or stand outside the paint as the extra defender.

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

Ah improved execution they havnt been able to execute in the fourth quater all year. You cant help on Lebron cause every other cavs player  Shaq,Jamison,Williams,Parker,Varejoe,West can all hit shots and score. Helping on Lebron is a failed concept.

We also don't want KG cross matched on LeBron. Pierce would end up on PFs too often.

I'm all for different looks, I just don't like KG manning up LeBron.

If anything KG should come trap him, or stand outside the paint as the extra defender.

Nah we want Pierce guarding their Power Forwards. Pierce on Jamison, Pierce on Varejoe.  You have KG defend Lebron and give him plenty of space. Let him shoot jumpers. Its alot better than Lebron on the drive taking to the rim causing defensive collapses and dropping assists for easy layups. You cant trap him. The other Cavs convert easily.

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:46 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Ah improved execution they havnt been able to execute in the fourth quarter all year. You cant help on Lebron cause every other cavs player  Shaq,Jamison,Williams,Parker,Varejoe,West can all hit shots and score. Helping on Lebron is a failed concept.

Turning on the 4-quarters switch against good teams may be harder than they think, after playing 2 1/2 quarters all year.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't think you can worry about LeBron.  He's going to get his no matter what.  Even if you play good defense on him to slow him down, the refs are going to bail him out to let him get his points.  We need to worry about clamping down on the rest of the guys on the court.  The other things we need to do are get more production out of the bench, 9 points isn't going to cut it and we need to ATTACK the basket.  I understand KG's game isn't as a banger, but when you take 20 field goal attempts and you don't go to the line once, there is an issue.  I understand Pierce a little because LeBron covers him a lot and they just don't call fouls on LeBron, but Pierce should be going more than twice.  This team cannot turn into a jump shooting team and expect to win the series.  
do it

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I agree (TP) ... LeBron is nearly impossible to defend, for anyone, so the approach has got to be to limit the bleeding elsewhere. No matter what you do, he's going to get his average 30, and the Cavs have other weapons that can hurt us if ignited, (even JO has lit it up against us before, though that's a rare occurrance).

While it may appear to some that Pierce didn't do well against him, I actually think he did as well as most anyone can, and limited LeBron's ability to create more points for his team-mates, and prevented him from changing the momentum of the game, at least for the most part until late in the game.

KG has got to be used against Z and V, and Jamison and Shaq in the post, (In conjunction with Sheed and Perk), as there is just no one else that can be very effective at that assignment ... we just clearly can not afford to put him on LBJ, even if he was more effective than Pierce, (which I don't think he is).

I'm really not as worried about the Cavs as much as I was before Saturday's game ... I think the adjustments we need to make are slight, and we just plain did not get a good production from our bench. The match-ups were fairly even, though I would consider using Nate or TA on Mo Williams, and waste a couple fouls being physical with him.

They're going to be making more adjustments on Rondo, and I think that will tighten things up in the post, and keep the paint from being as fluid for LeBron as it was. I also just do not see anyone other than Tony being as effective defending the Cry Baby as Paul ... he also didn't have a very good game on Saturday, and we've all learned over the years that he usually responds in a big way the following game.

I think for that reason alone, LeBron will not be having the same kind of scoring night he did in Game One. Paul is the kind of player that loves to respond to negative press and a challenge like this ... I have no doubt we'll be seeing just that tonight.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:52:53 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
KG would get DESTROYED by Lebron. Kg doesn't have the lateral quickness he once had and even if he did he still couldn't keep up with Lebron. Lebron is the best player in this league and the celts are not going to stop him they just have to slow down everyone else
News flash Pierce got destroyed by Lebron. I think Pierces legs were gone by the end of the game which contributed to him missing a few wide open shots at the end of the fourth. You dont want your best offensive player playing their best offensive player. The first five minutes of game 2 you let KG guard Lebron and see what happens. Doc needs to think outside the box.

When you say Pierce got destroyed, though, you're talking about a player who averages 30 a game (and who averaged 35 last year) scoring 35. 15% above your average doesn't constitute destroying someone.

Putting KG on LeBron is bad for a variety of reasons. He can't keep LeBron in front of him, he'll quickly get into foul trouble, and he can't help control the paint if he's on the perimeter. KG will also tire quickly.

Cleveland made a adjustment on Rondo in the second half and it worked. They put the bigger Parker on Rondo and put Mo Williams on Ray. Though convential wisdom would have said Parker cant stay in front on Rondo.("Putting KG on LeBron is bad for a variety of reasons. He can't keep LeBron in front of him")  

You try adjustments in limited minutes and guage results. That what good coaches do. Once Mo Williams was guarding Ray how many times did we post Ray? Once? Twice? You cant keep going to the same failed plan and expect different results.

Parker *can't* keep Rondo in front of him. And he really didn't. Shaq staying close to the rim when Rondo had the ball was probably more responsible for Rondo not driving that Parker was, not to mention the fact that Rondo was trying to get the other guys involved.

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 10:55:30 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Besides Mo going off in the 2nd half, Delonte West had a similar mini run in the first half to prevent the C's from setting up a monster lead.

Two things contributed to both these runs:

1. Poor defense
2. Bad offense - TO's or quick missed (lower %) jumpers - that allowed CLE to push and get high % shots

Hickson also did some damage when their other big guys were out.

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

Parker *can't* keep Rondo in front of him. And he really didn't. Shaq staying close to the rim when Rondo had the ball was probably more responsible for Rondo not driving that Parker was, not to mention the fact that Rondo was trying to get the other guys involved.

So Rondo has 19 points and 8 assists in the first half then goes 8 points 4 assists for the second half. Switching Parker on him instead of Williams had nothing to do with it? cmon.  

"I think for that reason alone, LeBron will not be having the same kind of scoring night he did in Game One. Paul is the kind of player that loves to respond to negative press and a challenge like this ... I have no doubt we'll be seeing just that tonight"

He was worn down by the end of the fourth. Your primary offensive weapon cannot defend the other teams best player. Lebron is eight years younger than Paul.

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

So Rondo has 19 points and 8 assists in the first half then goes 8 points 4 assists for the second half. Switching Parker on him instead of Williams had nothing to do with it? cmon.  

"I think for that reason alone, LeBron will not be having the same kind of scoring night he did in Game One. Paul is the kind of player that loves to respond to negative press and a challenge like this ... I have no doubt we'll be seeing just that tonight"

He was worn down by the end of the fourth. Your primary offensive weapon cannot defend the other teams best player. Lebron is eight years younger than Paul.

So you bring your most effective post player out to the perimeter to guard LeBron? LBJ starts almost every move from outside the circle, and you HAVE to have someone who can be relatively effective both outside and inside ... KG can not. LBJ's going to burn by him every time, and the other huge post players they have are going to LOVE having KG pulled out from the box, and the paint being so fluid an area. As I stated before, LeBron's going to get his thirty, but you HAVE to limit the bleeding elsewhere ... that's the only way to beat this Cavs team. Having a 7-footer guard LeBron would be disaster.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 11:21:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics, as many players who have come and gone here can attest to, have a very complex and definitive defensive system in place. It's success relies heavily on each of the players playing at their position, knowing the rotational assignments and perfecting them at the position that they play.

That includes the proper way to defend high post pick and rolls and pick and pops, low post pick and rolls, transition defense, how to run defenders off the three point line and the proper switches thereafter, and especially help defense in the low post when players get past the first line of defense and the proper rotation that then occurs for rebounding assignments and preventing weak side offensive pass downs and weak side offensive rebounding.

The switching of KG to a perimeter position and Pierce to a post position weakens not only the one on one defense at those positions but puts two players into positions in the team defensive scheme they are not used to playing. It weakens the ENTIRE team defense as a whole due to the unfamiliarity of the positions being played and the proper rotational assignments at those positions.

KG and Pierce are probably both smart enough and familiar enough to make a valiant effort at making it work, but there is something to be said for instinctual repetitive reactions brought about by playing a certain position and knowing THAT positions correct moves at all times.

I just think this idea goes against everything this system and what good coaches would even think about doing especially at a critical junction of the season like the playoffs. Trust the system and trust the players playing the positions they have played in all year.

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
"So you bring your most effective post player out to the perimeter to guard LeBron?"

No you give up the perimeter and have KG give him plenty of space. You pack the paint and only have him D him up tight from 15 feet inward. You want Lebron shooting jumpshots.

"KG can not. LBJ's going to burn by him every time, and the other huge post players they have are going to LOVE having KG pulled out from the box, and the paint being so fluid an area. As I stated before, LeBron's going to get his thirty, but you HAVE to limit the bleeding elsewhere"

This post isnt about stoping Lebron and his 30ppg. This is about preserving Pierce and maximizing your roster. Did you read my last post? You cannot ask Pierce to defend Lebron then take all the clutch shots in the fourth quater. His legs were gone by the time we needed him to score.