Author Topic: Switch Pierce and Garnetts defensive assignments  (Read 9147 times)

Switch Pierce and Garnetts defensive assignments
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:12 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pierce is getting killed by Lebron. James had 35 points 7 boards 7 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks in game one.  If I was Doc I would switch Pierce onto Antwan Jamison and have KG guard Lebron.

When the subs come in have Tony replace KG and guard James and keep Pierce on the PF Varejoe or whoever. You could basically take Rasheed out of the lineup and play Baby backing up Perkins.

You want to make Lebron work as hard as possible covering Pierce on defense and then he has to deal with KG or Tony Allen when he is on offense. Playoffs are all about adjustments lets hope Docs up to the task. thoughts?

Re: Switch Pierce and Garnetts defensive assignments
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:27:35 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
KG would get DESTROYED by Lebron. Kg doesn't have the lateral quickness he once had and even if he did he still couldn't keep up with Lebron. Lebron is the best player in this league and the celts are not going to stop him they just have to slow down everyone else

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I don't even think prime KG would have been able to slow down Lebron.

Pierce did a pretty solid job. I just wish he would give him a little more room to shoot the jumper, but that might not be the game plan. It's clear that Paul needs a little more Lebron help throughout the game because that wasn't the Truth that we all know and love in the 4th quarter.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
KG would get DESTROYED by Lebron. Kg doesn't have the lateral quickness he once had and even if he did he still couldn't keep up with Lebron. Lebron is the best player in this league and the celts are not going to stop him they just have to slow down everyone else
News flash Pierce got destroyed by Lebron. I think Pierces legs were gone by the end of the game which contributed to him missing a few wide open shots at the end of the fourth. You dont want your best offensive player playing their best offensive player. The first five minutes of game 2 you let KG guard Lebron and see what happens. Doc needs to think outside the box.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:42:17 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
News flash Pierce got destroyed by Lebron. I think Pierces legs were gone by the end of the game which contributed to him missing a few wide open shots at the end of the fourth. You dont want your best offensive player playing their best offensive player. The first five minutes of game 2 you let KG guard Lebron and see what happens. Doc needs to think outside the box.
Apparently the caps on destroyed wasn't enough to make my point. Although Lebron had a huge game in game 1 I think with KG on him he would get to the rim anytime he wanted he would cause even more foul trouble than game 1 and he would be an even better facilitator because KG would need so much help. I honestly think with KG on him Lebron might go for 40+ with 10+ dimes and be sitting the last 6 minutes because its a blowout.

I'm not in the boat that we need to change something drastic on Lebron to try to stop him, I think we had a great chance to win that game even with the game Lebron had and that was in Cleveland. I say make slight adjustments instead of this overhaul of our defense on the cavs

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Lebron would have an easier time against KG because of speed.

And the smaller Pierce could get Jamison going.

Let KG keep doing what he is to their second option.  Give Pierce more help.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 09:45:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this is a bad idea.

Just leave things the way they are and force LeBron to go right. When he extends that right arm for the lay in hit it hard.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 09:47:08 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think this is a bad idea.

Just leave things the way they are and force LeBron to go right. When he extends that right arm for the lay in hit it hard.

Activate Scali the thug to give him that hard hit. 

Scali has the knack of dislocating shoulders.  Let's see what he can do with elbows.    ;D

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 09:56:17 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
"And the smaller Pierce could get Jamison going".

Jamison is 6'9 235 and Pierce is 6'7 235. The difference in size is negliable.

"Lebron would have an easier time against KG because of speed"

This is speculation. You have to try adjustments. Players get juiced for certain matchups. Also Pierce is just as slow laterally as KG. The way you give Pierce help is by taking the pressure of him of guarding Lebron. Obviously rotating off other guys to help with Lebron penetration is useless because he is such a good passer.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Hmmmm...

While I dont think KG can handle Lebron for the whole game I wouldnt mind seeing him defend Lebron on a few plays. KG loves that kind of challenge and I have seen him come up with stops on quicker guys.
Anything that could get KG fired up is okay in my book.

TP for the thought!

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:10:49 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

This is speculation. You have to try adjustments. Players get juiced for certain matchups. Also Pierce is just as slow laterally as KG. The way you give Pierce help is by taking the pressure of him of guarding Lebron. Obviously rotating off other guys to help with Lebron penetration is useless because he is such a good passer.

vs. KG who is 7 foot tall and seem to effect Jamison's shot. 

Why mess with that? 

And Pierce is still quicker then KG.  He still does one of the best jobs defending Lebron. 

If they want to give Pierce more of a break, then they need Daniels/TA to do a better job defending Lebron.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 10:12:31 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

When you say Pierce got destroyed, though, you're talking about a player who averages 30 a game (and who averaged 35 in the playoffs last year) scoring 35. 15% above your average doesn't constitute destroying someone.

Putting KG on LeBron is bad for a variety of reasons. He can't keep LeBron in front of him, he'll quickly get into foul trouble, and he can't help control the paint if he's on the perimeter. KG will also tire quickly.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Lebron is going to get his stats.  Let's forget about really curtailing that.

It is the other guys that will win the game.  It was when Williams went off that the Cavs got going. 

Yes, Lebron lead that team.  Lebron makes that team go. 

But, it is not until one of the other offensive threats step up and follow that the Cavs can beat the Celtics.

So, the defensive adjustments should be about limiting the damage a player like Williams can cause.   

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Maybe the Cavs should put Shaq or Z on Rondo. If they "get juiced" about it they'll have no problem keeping up with Rajon.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 10:19:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The main adjustment the C's need to make isn't how they're defending LeBron. Pierce did a solid job, he just needs to get some help from our bench wings. If the Cavs continue to defend Rondo like they did in the second half the rest of the team needs to make the open looks that generates.

Improved fourth quarter shooting and execution is all the C's needed.