Author Topic: Joe Smith wants to sign with the Celtics!!  (Read 14332 times)

Re: Joe Smith wants to sign with the Celtics!!
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 07:41:34 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
give me joe smith and mr marbury and lets go

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 07:49:31 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The negativity that surrounds POB blows my mind... Look at him the same way you look at Giddens and Walker, he's a young prospect who hasn't gotten a chance yet because he's on a vet team.

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
My Ideal 8 man rotation:

Starting 5 +

Trade:
Scal, Ta and powe/BBD
for
Bell

Sign:
Marbury
Smith

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 08:26:56 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The negativity that surrounds POB blows my mind... Look at him the same way you look at Giddens and Walker, he's a young prospect who hasn't gotten a chance yet because he's on a vet team.

Sorry, I completely disagree with your assessment of O'Bryant. He's a bust of nearly monumental proportions.

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
My Ideal 8 man rotation:

Starting 5 +

Trade:
Scal, Ta and powe/BBD
for
Bell

Sign:
Marbury
Smith

That would be beautiful.

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Sorry, I completely disagree with your assessment of O'Bryant. He's a bust of nearly monumental proportions.

HAHA! what? no player on a 1 year deal making under 2 million is a "bust of nearly monumental proportions." that's absurd.

explain your position.

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 08:55:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

HAHA! what? no player on a 1 year deal is a "bust of nearly monumental proportions." that's absurd.

explain your position.

Well, he's a top-ten pick who has basically failed to get off the bench in three seasons in the NBA.  He wasn't able to garner more than a guaranteed one year, minimum salary contract, and he hasn't even lived up to that deal.  He's had a former GM and former coach question his work ethic, and you've seen his current coach saying he's not playing at the same speed as everyone else.

He's still young, but to this point in his career, he's been a bust.  If his presence on the roster was the only thing stopping us from adding Joe Smith, I'd cut him in a cocaine heart beat.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

HAHA! what? no player on a 1 year deal is a "bust of nearly monumental proportions." that's absurd.

explain your position.

Well, he's a top-ten pick who has basically failed to get off the bench in three seasons in the NBA.  He wasn't able to garner more than a guaranteed one year, minimum salary contract, and he hasn't even lived up to that deal.  He's had a former GM and former coach question his work ethic, and you've seen his current coach saying he's not playing at the same speed as everyone else.

He's still young, but to this point in his career, he's been a bust.  If his presence on the roster was the only thing stopping us from adding Joe Smith, I'd cut him in a cocaine heart beat.
For the C's I don't think he's been a bust. We knew he was a project and unlikely to contribute much going into this season. For a lottery pick he's been a massive bust.

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2009, 09:03:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This is awesome news for the C's. I think with Tony Allen's injury we actually need a wing player more than another big, but this would be huge. I'd be very comfortable with our four backup forwards being Joe Smith/BBD/Powe/Scal.

If we could get him and a defensive 3 I think we're set for the playoffs.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

explain your position.

He's a draft bust but not "monumental" I don't think.  Olowakandi, Sam Bowie, Darko... those are monumental.  There are tons of players after 5 that haven't panned out.  The monumental busts are where there were superstars taken immediately after the pick.  If you look at who was taken after O'Bryant there aren't many guys you'd consider stars.  Rondo is easily the best one, and GS didn't need him with Baron Davis already on the team.

As far as Joe Smith, that's the guy everyone has wanted all year, so it would be a perfect scenario.  If they could sign Bonzi and Zo too I would be a happy camper.  We don't need Marbury.

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 09:37:20 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

explain your position.

He is a low-risk high reward move for the Celtics. You saw what the Celtics did in developing KP and Al jefferson, have faith that this staff can help POB too. I'm not saying he's a starter but I do believe he can be economical and servicable for this team in the future. He has a soft touch and a decent low post game and is a legit 7 footer. I'm going to be positive, optimistic and stick with him.

Roy and others, you seem angry at him, as if like we took him with a top ten pick. We didn't...

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 09:42:09 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
We're looking to win a title in 2009.  The players on the roster least likely to help us achieve that goal are Giddens and POB.  They're denying it because they have to, but I have little doubt that they're looking at trying to move Giddens either for roster flexibilty or to bring in someone who can help today.  The mere fact that he seems to have only disappointed one organization instead of two has got to help his trade value, relative to POB!

POB's got virtually no value; his contract's barely large enough to count as an expiring deal, and I'm going to go ahead and define "someone who doesn't seem to particularly like basketball" as being a non-prospect.  Not someone that anyone's going to look to trade for; I'd sign a kid busting his nuts in the D-League before trading for Mr. Apathy. 

If someone's got to go, it's The Notorious One. 

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 09:42:43 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't know how there is even discussion about POB in this thread.  Joe Smith would make this team exponentially better.  If they need to cut someone else to sign him (along with a guard), then POB is the obvious choice, because he is so far away from helping the team, and reportedly does not have a guaranteed deal next year.  If he does have some upside, it doesn't matter, because it doesn't equal the amount Smith can help this team right now.  

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't know how there is even discussion about POB in this thread.  Joe Smith would make this team exponentially better.  If they need to cut someone else to sign him (along with a guard), then POB is the obvious choice, because he is so far away from helping the team, and reportedly does not have a guaranteed deal next year.  If he does have some upside, it doesn't matter, because it doesn't equal the amount Smith can help this team right now.  

Exactly.  Win now, rather than speculating about what POB might be half a decade from now should he suddenly have an epiphany (which I doubt he will -- if he couldn't pick up his play / motivation in a contract year, then I doubt he ever will).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 09:50:40 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Haha, oh man. Believe me, I'm not going there with this... I agree, we should cut POB if we can bring in Marbury and Smith, but we not close to that position yet.

I'm just talking about the general hating on this guy.