Author Topic: Joe Smith wants to sign with the Celtics!!  (Read 14330 times)

Re: Joe Smith wants to sign with the Celtics!!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 01:07:05 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
am i the only one that thinks Marbury and Joe Smith bring way more to the table than Sam and PJ did last year?....not to take away from Pjs game 7 v. Clev

Joe Smith, definitely.  He's essentially a younger P.J., who is already in game shape.

Marbury, I'm not sure.  He hasn't played all season, and isn't exactly known for his team-building skills.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 01:08:20 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
and if this were to happen, i don't see why this couldn't be a fix for the next couple of years.

Although im sure he wouldn't resign for veteran's minimum

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 01:09:22 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
am i the only one that thinks Marbury and Joe Smith bring way more to the table than Sam and PJ did last year?....not to take away from Pjs game 7 v. Clev

Joe Smith, definitely.  He's essentially a younger P.J., who is already in game shape.

Marbury, I'm not sure.  He hasn't played all season, and isn't exactly known for his team-building skills.
agreed on marbury, although sam didn't do much more then give us something to talk about for a month or so

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 01:13:55 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
going off of the last 4 posts....

at this point last year everyone was pumped about the c's chances

and we added PJ and Sam

even if Marbury is a spaz (which i think KG would control) he's bring more than Sam did in the playoffs

and its agreed that Smith would bring more than PJ could....so i'd be ecstatic if thats how things go down
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 01:14:56 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
So if both Joe Smith and Marbury are bought out , who do the Celtics waive? They only have 1 open roster spot at the moment. My guess is they waive POB.

They still could do a 2-1 deal to open up a spot i suppose?

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:03 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

Well, Tony isn't going to play for the rest of the year more than likely and Marbs is a better player talent wise... and he did play well with KG in Minnesota but he is a little kookier than one would like, and that could be a concern but right now, I don't really see any other options than for us to add Marbury.

And the Joe Smith thing would be huge. Hopefully we can trade Giddens or Pruitt for a pick and add Marbs and Smith if they're both bought out. That would be huge, indeed.

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:20 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
So if both Joe Smith and Marbury are bought out , who do the Celtics waive? They only have 1 open roster spot at the moment. My guess is they waive POB.

The Celts should try to do a deal similar to the Cassell one to dump POB.  Basically, cut him, but save some money in the process.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 01:48:54 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Smith would be the perfect fit for this team. Sign him and Marbury and waiving or trading POB with Giddens for a wing maybe... or just give Walker some of Tony's minutes

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 01:51:04 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I agree that Marbury and Smith would be better than PJ and Cassell from last year.  I also think we need it more this year.  I think we need both to bring home 18.  This day went from bad news with the trade to very good news with the rescinding and rumors tonight, thank you Tyson.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 01:55:08 AM »

Offline I Love Getting Rondod

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • Vitaly Potapenko Has Ups!
Everyone should remember there are formerly valuable free agents out there like Damon Stoudamire, Ruben Patterson [who could still be a poor man's Ron Artest], and Antoine "Team Player" Walker.
Vitaly Potpenko has ups!!!

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 03:38:45 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Everyone should remember there are formerly valuable free agents out there like Damon Stoudamire, Ruben Patterson [who could still be a poor man's Ron Artest], and Antoine "Team Player" Walker.

Patterson ranks quite high on the list of "Guys I want no part of having to root for."

But I don't deny that if he's in shape, he can defend on the wing a bit and add a few points to boot.

Still wouldn't want him though.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 03:43:50 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10

Pass, pass, and pass. I'd rather take my shot with Smith and Marbury, in case they are bought out soon. I agree with the other posters that this would be our PJ and Sam for our title run this year. Besides, I can't think of other potential FA's who can fit our needs for this year nicely.

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 06:39:49 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
This needs to happen.  Please no trades.

Please.

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 07:38:27 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

The Celts should try to do a deal similar to the Cassell one to dump POB.  Basically, cut him, but save some money in the process.

+1 End the O'Blount disgrace.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 07:40:33 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

agreed on marbury, although sam didn't do much more then give us something to talk about for a month or so

Mar probably brings more to the table as a player, but after watching Sam on the bench all year, I think Sam brings more as a teammate. and for me, I would rather have the teammate at a position that isn't as much of a need from my perspective....

As for PJ, i have a real hard time voting against him in respect to Smith. Clearly, PJ didn't have big box score numbers, but he was right in the grill of every big all throughout the playoffs. I mean, he didn't back down a smidge and that was huge for us.

That said, Smith is right there in that category and him coming here wanting a ring and with younger legs....I'd just be extremely excited to have him.

If it came out that PJ did in fact want to come back and I had to choose between the two....well, let's just say that i would love to have that decision to make...