Author Topic: Any takers for Scalabrine?  (Read 18674 times)

Re: Any takers for Scalabrine?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
To the cynical Scal detractors with their deep thoughts:

How many NBA veterans, no matter how good or how bad, could bust their butt in practice and in what sporatic times he's inserted in the lineup for a whole regular season?  Be effective in his role in those minutes.  Then be put on the inactive roster for the playoffs.  And not be a disruption for his team?

.....Some of you guys want Bonzi Wells instead of this guy?  Try doing a visual of Wells filling Scal's role.   ;D

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 08:16:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Anybody participating in the Celticsblog draft should have a better appreciation for Scal's role after seeing the dregs that are left after 13 rounds.  The guys rounding out the 13, 14, and 15 spots on NBA rosters just aren't that good (relatively speaking).   

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
To the cynical Scal detractors with their deep thoughts:

How many NBA veterans, no matter how good or how bad, could bust their butt in practice and in what sporatic times he's inserted in the lineup for a whole regular season?  Be effective in his role in those minutes.  Then be put on the inactive roster for the playoffs.  And not be a disruption for his team?

.....Some of you guys want Bonzi Wells instead of this guy?  Try doing a visual of Wells filling Scal's role.   ;D

That may be true.  But it doesn't matter.  It doesn't change the fact that a) no team wants him (especially in this day and age when stars' salaries are dominating teams salary caps and teams are having a hard time paying players who actually play) and b) the C's would have won the title without him.  So while you can praise his ability to sit on the bench, cutting him outright would have achieved the same effect.   

I don't hate Scalabrine, but I do hate this lingering notion that he has value in a trade.  MAYBE next year some team might show interest, but even that's a long shot.  There are very few teams that clearing 3 million dollars could really help all that much. 

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 09:58:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Scal was much better his first two years heret han last.  He went 38%-40%-31% in FG% and 36%-40%-33% 3FG%.  It seems as though he would have better shot opportunities playing on a better team.  Beyond the stats, he just never looked comfortable on the court last year.

You can only suit up 12 guys a night and I doubt he will be one of the 12 very often.  You might as well have Scal on the team and being a practice body.  I also think that Scal will have a bounce back year and be better than last (which isn't saying much).

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 10:13:29 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i'm fine with having scal around. he was a true rotation player last year for us.

i wish i could find the vid of him starting a game last year (or i believe it was last year) and nailed like 3 back to back 3 pointers or something like that. tommy was screaming "you can't stop him, you can only contain him."

Become Legendary.

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 11:20:34 PM »

Offline Geekneck

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Listen, Scalabum stinks. He's the worse PF to come along on the C's since vinny baker. Nobody wants him, let's just try to stay positive minded and hope nobody gets injured this year. I do not want to see this guy on the court at all unless we're up by 40 with 2 mins left in the 4th. the reason people even say he defends well is becuase he's so unorthodox and clumsy, he confuses his opponent. Once they realize he's the dunce, its pretty much lights out. Get him out, Scalabum is the worst. the only reason we keep its cause, like it was said, he's a cheerleader with a red head.

Deep thought there.  Another poster who has never seen him play and just read the BS. 

No matter what a person could say about Scal, the idea that he's a poor defender has to have been made by somebody who has never seen him play basketball and been reading all of the crap written about him.  It's the area where his superb effort pays off the most.  Scal wouldn't be in the NBA without his defense.

Scal is a horrible rebounder for an NBA player.  Let alone an NBA player of his size.  He is a poor shooter.  Last season a light shined on Scal and it dawned on him that he can't shoot.  So he didn't.  He became an asset in spots because of his defense. 

I am no raving fan.  But this guy is no bum.  We've had players like Scal on every great team we've had.  Players who will do whatever they're asked to do and play hard. 

I'm thinking that maybe Danny sees what we don't see and doesn't want to trade him.

[Edited.] Did u even read what i wrote or just the first line?
The guy stinks, at least in the top ten worse players in the league. His defense is comparable to walter mccarty's a few years back. He would just do these goofy, jerky movements that weird out his man on offense. Some players caught on and adjusted, other players didn't. That's where people got this notion of his "great defense". His shot selection is horrible, he can barely box out, and has absolutely no post game.Did i mention his passing game? Check the dunk gerald green did on the pass from Scal 2 season ago. Pure Luck. He stinks.He was an energy player off the bench in New Jersey and fizzled out. His biggest asset now (as mentioned in another post) is the fact he can sit out and not become a distraction. I don't read anything buddy nor do i need someone else to call it how I see it. Don't be quick to jump to conclusions and try to make me out to be a fairweather fan because I hit the nail on the head about the celtics token red-head. I bleed green like the rest of youse, but when a guy stinks, he stinks. What's next? You gonna tell me Rick Brunson was a solid PG for the C's?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:29:11 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 11:28:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Let's try to avoid directly insulting other members please.  Opinions are ok, name calling not so much - Redz
Yup

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Anybody participating in the Celticsblog draft should have a better appreciation for Scal's role after seeing the dregs that are left after 13 rounds.  The guys rounding out the 13, 14, and 15 spots on NBA rosters just aren't that good (relatively speaking).   

I don't know about his numbers. It's hard to rate..let's say his numbers versus..Rasho Nesterovic. The minutes that Scal gets with the rebounds he gets, is usually when our team is up by 30 and its the 4th quarter and the other team could care less about rebounds at that point, or that team has a bunch of rookies out there that are more focused on throwing up 3's. I hate having to compare a players #s in garbage time as good #s
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 09:26:17 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I don't know about his numbers. It's hard to rate..let's say his numbers versus..Rasho Nesterovic. The minutes that Scal gets with the rebounds he gets, is usually when our team is up by 30 and its the 4th quarter and the other team could care less about rebounds at that point, or that team has a bunch of rookies out there that are more focused on throwing up 3's. I hate having to compare a players #s in garbage time as good #s

Why would you compare Scal to Rasho?  One's the 13th man on our roster.  The other was a starting center for the Toronto Raptors.  Odd choice.

That's why I said when assessing Scal, compare his to other 13th men.   

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Geekneck, Scal's defense is fundamentally very good. He has very good reaction time and, dare I say, quick feet, especially for a guy his size. I have watched him play for three seasons now, and he has never disappointed on defense. He also understands the rotations as a veteran is supposed to.

His shooting percentages went down alot last season because his minutes dwindled. He never got into any rhythm with the team last year.

Scal is an insurance policy on the bench in case someone gets hurt. When Garnett was out last season, he stepped in and did well. I think we won 7/10 with him in the starting line-up. Something like that.

Scal's biggest issue is his conditioning. He should lose about 10 pounds. He also should take a cue from Posey and work on this 3 point shot most of his time he is shooting, including when his legs are tired.  Posey worked constantly on his 3 point shot, before games and during practices. Did he shoot anything else? Rarely. That is why alot of guys in the NBA are sub-par shooters from 15-20 feet. They work so much on their 3, they neglect the mid-range game. 

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
how about Scal for Troy Murphy??

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 10:13:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Troy Murphy is a very good player who is quite a bit better than Scal.  Again, this is the fundamental flaw in comparing Scal to other teams' starters.

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 10:19:26 AM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
Scal was much better his first two years heret han last.  He went 38%-40%-31% in FG% and 36%-40%-33% 3FG%.  It seems as though he would have better shot opportunities playing on a better team.  Beyond the stats, he just never looked comfortable on the court last year.

You can only suit up 12 guys a night and I doubt he will be one of the 12 very often.  You might as well have Scal on the team and being a practice body.  I also think that Scal will have a bounce back year and be better than last (which isn't saying much).

good points,
My biggest frustration with scal was how overweight he was when he signed his free agent contract with us.  That irked me, you would never see that in pro football, for example.  That mixed with all the hype from that brain doctor garbage, sure didn't do much for me at first.  then there was his penchant for "taking over games" and trying to dribble coast to coast with running half hooks off the glass in the seasons we were terrible and scal was "trying to do too much."
  However, scal (or Captain Cheeseburger as he became known in my living room) showed up in his best shape to date in celtics green last year, and I was really happy with how he played.  He was like the walking embodiment of "Gino" at games this year, and he had a great sense of humor about himself, too.  They put his face on the jumbotron talking about how you should vote pierce or him into the all-star game, (because he knows how to pass to pierce.) 
  Look how spreading the floor worked for us in the playoffs, I think scal can continue to be a fantastic situational player for us (read 10mpg. max)  I'm fine with his contract, it isn't crazy (and expires in a very convenient year.)  oh captain, my captain!

go celts!
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
then there was his penchant for "taking over games" and trying to dribble coast to coast with running half hooks off the glass in the seasons we were terrible and scal was "trying to do too much."
  However, scal (or Captain Cheeseburger...
[/quote]

Do these look like the actions of a man who had a brain doctor?
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 11:01:04 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Troy Murphy is a very good player who is quite a bit better than Scal.  Again, this is the fundamental flaw in comparing Scal to other teams' starters.

I wasn't trying to compare Rasho to Scal numerically, I was just comparing the types of minutes they play. But here are numbers to prove my point bout Scal's worthlessness of his numbers in garbage time.

Scot Pollard     minutes per game 7.9      rebounds per game 1.70
 Brian Scalabrine    minutes per game 10.7     rebounds per game 1.60

Both players for Boston played mostly garbage time, and Pollard even played less minutes and still took in more rebounds. I don't see the worth of this guy. I don't see his defense for the SF position, and even at PF, I'd rather see a stronger player like Powe on the floor, not Scalabrine.
Can't stop, Rondo!