Author Topic: Any takers for Scalabrine?  (Read 18667 times)

Re: Any takers for Scalabrine?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Boy, I just don't see Scal's skill set in the same sentence with Posey's at all. He's done all right defending the 3s, but he's never going to shut down Kobe for eight-minute stretches.

Yeah, he won't be able to cover SG's like Kobe (although to be fair, Posey wasn't great against SG's either...Allen and Pierce did a much better job against Kobe than Posey did).  The other, more important difference between  Posey and Scal is that Posey gave the team a lot more offensively. 

Scal has one NBA level skill...he is a big guy, who can defend on the perimeter, as well as inside.  That will come in handy as an 11th or 12th man, who is used in tough matchups, or in case of injuries.  He isn't a Posey replacement.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 09:21:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is the first year where Scal might actually have a role and some value for the Celtics. Kind of like a poor man's Posey. If Scal could improve his 3 by about 5% he'd be extremely valuable to us off the bench, for about 1-15 minutes. As Roy said, he defends very well. I think his downfall is that he can't hit the 3 more consistently, the way that Posey could.

No way Miami gives up Marion for Marbury. Come on.

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 01:41:48 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
His best luck would be to be traded somewhere that needs a shooting "PF" and doesn't play much D

Not to quibble too much, but Scal is actually an above-average defender.  In the past, he's played very effective defense against KG, Big Al, Rashard Lewis, and others.  It's on the offensive end that he struggles a bit.
Yep, he can help us and has done some nice defensive work in the past.  Does have 3pt range, expiring contract and a smart vet.  Yes he makes too much money but I don't seem him traded unless its for his expiring deal.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
How about this question, who is less likely to be traded between now and February, Ray Allen or Brian Scalabrine?  I'd give Ray the nod with a .0001% chance compared to Scalabrine's .0002% shot. 

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 03:44:56 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
This may be a Celticsblog record for the longest time between Scalabrine trade threads.

His best luck would be to be traded somewhere that needs a shooting "PF" and doesn't play much D

No matter what a person could say about Scal, the idea that he's a poor defender has to have been made by somebody who has never seen him play basketball and been reading all of the crap written about him.  It's the area where his superb effort pays off the most.

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 03:48:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rumor is the Oklahoma City Angry Pickles have already made a move on Scalabrine. He's now an important part of their squad.

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=21682.msg351636#msg351636

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Rumor is the Oklahoma City Angry Pickles have already made a move on Scalabrine. He's now an important part of their squad.

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=21682.msg351636#msg351636

The Ultimate Angry Pickle...Scal's conversion is complete

Yup

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »

Offline Geekneck

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Listen, Scalabum stinks. He's the worse PF to come along on the C's since vinny baker. Nobody wants him, let's just try to stay positive minded and hope nobody gets injured this year. I do not want to see this guy on the court at all unless we're up by 40 with 2 mins left in the 4th. the reason people even say he defends well is becuase he's so unorthodox and clumsy, he confuses his opponent. Once they realize he's the dunce, its pretty much lights out. Get him out, Scalabum is the worst. the only reason we keep its cause, like it was said, he's a cheerleader with a red head.

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
these guys might want scal, as a model for their Bro:

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Listen, Scalabum stinks. He's the worse PF to come along on the C's since vinny baker. Nobody wants him, let's just try to stay positive minded and hope nobody gets injured this year. I do not want to see this guy on the court at all unless we're up by 40 with 2 mins left in the 4th. the reason people even say he defends well is becuase he's so unorthodox and clumsy, he confuses his opponent. Once they realize he's the dunce, its pretty much lights out. Get him out, Scalabum is the worst. the only reason we keep its cause, like it was said, he's a cheerleader with a red head.

Deep thought there.  Another poster who has never seen him play and just read the BS. 

No matter what a person could say about Scal, the idea that he's a poor defender has to have been made by somebody who has never seen him play basketball and been reading all of the crap written about him.  It's the area where his superb effort pays off the most.  Scal wouldn't be in the NBA without his defense.

Scal is a horrible rebounder for an NBA player.  Let alone an NBA player of his size.  He is a poor shooter.  Last season a light shined on Scal and it dawned on him that he can't shoot.  So he didn't.  He became an asset in spots because of his defense. 

I am no raving fan.  But this guy is no bum.  We've had players like Scal on every great team we've had.  Players who will do whatever they're asked to do and play hard. 

I'm thinking that maybe Danny sees what we don't see and doesn't want to trade him.

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
It's tough to have the worst PER for PF's

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 07:37:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's tough to have the worst PER for PF's

PER measures statistics; Scal's contributions don't always show up in a stat sheet.

I'll tell you one area Scal probably doesn't rank last in, though:  PER differential.  He held opposing PFs to a PER of 10.4, and he was even better against SFs (albeit in limited minutes, Scal actually had a positive PER differential against small forwards.)  That's a very, very impressive defensive number.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Yea I know, he contributions aren't really calculated by PER.  He is much better than advertised if people actually watch him on the court.  He does shoot poorly though when in games.  But if you ever see him practice he does make around 80% of his shots, too bad they don't count for anything.  ;D

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 07:39:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Well since we're talking about pigs flying (someone taking Scal in a trade).  The people in his price range that I think would be a good fit at SF.  

Travis Outlaw 4 million a year.  Um Portland does it because him and Martell Webster are redundant and Scal can do a poor man's version of the bench for $800,000 less....(yeah I don't believe they'd do it either)

Damien Wilkins 6'6 with long wingspan (can play 1-3) and makes almost exactly what Scal makes for the next two years.  Um OKC does it because... they want a SF/PF instead of a SG/SF?  Yeah another stretch....

That's it I got nothing.

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Deep thought there.  Another poster who has never seen him play and just read the BS. 

No matter what a person could say about Scal, the idea that he's a poor defender has to have been made by somebody who has never seen him play basketball and been reading all of the crap written about him.  It's the area where his superb effort pays off the most.  Scal wouldn't be in the NBA without his defense.

[...]

Ditto.