Author Topic: Trade Thought With Atlanta  (Read 13536 times)

Trade Thought With Atlanta
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:20:52 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Not sure if I'd do it, but Josh Smith is a great young player

To Boston: Josh Smith, Acie Law, and Mike Bibby
To Atlanta: Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, Brian Scalabrine, and Glenn Davis

Re: Trade Thought With Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Trade makes no sense.  Where would Smith play?  Backing up KG?  Backing up Pierce at the 3?

While it's generally a good idea to trade small-for-big, potential-franchise PGs are REALLY, REALLY hard to come by.  You'd think Celtics fans - after watching guys like Milt Palacio for too many years - would know that more than anybody!  Even ignoring the fact that you're throwing in Ray Allen, I'm not sure I'd do that deal.  Maybe I've over-rating Rondo, but I'll take my chances with him, rather than go through ANOTHER decade looking for someone to man the point (Bibby's not the answer, not is Acie Law).

You could also consider me EXTREMELY disinclined to part with the third and fourth best players on our championship squad for the second-best player (Joe Johnson's their best player) on a team that - while they gave us fits, still lost more games than they won.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Timepiece33 must be from atlanta....this weakens us in 2 spots and overloads us at forward

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Not sure if I'd do it, but Josh Smith is a great young player

To Boston: Josh Smith, Acie Law, and Mike Bibby
To Atlanta: Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, Brian Scalabrine, and Glenn Davis

Rondo ? why would we trade Rondo ? I wouldn't do Rondo straight up for Josh Smith. Rondo has been in the league for two years and is only 22, this kid is gonna be a top 3 PG in the league in 2 years. Only CP3 and Deron Williams will be better in my opinion than Rondo.
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:13:56 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The Big 3 was put together to get us a ring and revive the Boston Dynasty. How could we call it a dynasty if we break them up and take away our most important player for our future in Rondo?
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This is one of the rare trades you see that could possibly take us out of the playoffs next year.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:08:59 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Why do all these trade proposals include Ray Allen?

And we give up two starters from a championship team, one who is an all-star for two scrubs and a nice player? NO thanks.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:16:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess I would do Allen for Smith straight-up, but I agree with the others, not looking to deal Rondo- when there is no need.

I know you were just trying to match dollars, but doesn't total sense. I like the idea of building our young core, though- with a very solid guy in Smith. Pierce could move to the SG spot and all would be good.

But, Allen does fit the team we have currently and the best chance we have at a championship next year (not down the road) is with him at the 2-spot...

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
i'd do it for Ray Allen Straight up. Anyone remember Ray struggling at the end of last season? I know it worked out fine, but if anyone is going to have a tough year next year it will be Ray Allen. He is the oldest of big three and he is most likely to get injured

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd do that trade.  PG is the most overrated and overhyped position in the NBA.  I can only recall two teams winning championships with a PG as its best player Isiah's Pistons and Magic's Lakers and those incredibly deep teams with multiple HOFers.  Teams don't win with PG's, it is a complete and utter myth.

Josh Smith is an incredible talent, and just happens to be one of the most complete defenders in the league.  The C's could easily trot out a starting lineup of Bibby, Pierce, Smith, KG, and Perkins.  That lineup would be almost impossible for other teams to matchup against defensively and is skilled enough defensively to completely shut teams down.  Acie Law has some solid potential as a PG of the future as well so you don't completely lose out on that end either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Bad trade.  Josh Smith is one of the most over hyped players in the league. 

Celtics would be foolish to trade two pieces of the championship starting lineup for an undersized guy who plays the same position as KG. 

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

This is one of the rare trades you see that could possibly take us out of the playoffs next year.

****, TP tim, that was a good one. I was thinking of where to start with this goofball trade, but that sums it up nicely.

I second this post  :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 03:04:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I'd do that trade.  PG is the most overrated and overhyped position in the NBA.  I can only recall two teams winning championships with a PG as its best player Isiah's Pistons and Magic's Lakers and those incredibly deep teams with multiple HOFers.  Teams don't win with PG's, it is a complete and utter myth.

Josh Smith is an incredible talent, and just happens to be one of the most complete defenders in the league.  The C's could easily trot out a starting lineup of Bibby, Pierce, Smith, KG, and Perkins.  That lineup would be almost impossible for other teams to matchup against defensively and is skilled enough defensively to completely shut teams down.  Acie Law has some solid potential as a PG of the future as well so you don't completely lose out on that end either.

Chauncy billups pistons spring to mind, also i think those teams hondo ran, while certainly not utterly dependant on him, benifited quite a bit. cousy's teams, same boat, though of course not nearly as dependant on him.

I'm sure there's more, but those are just a bunch i can think of off the top of my head at work.

also, bibby isn't as good as rondo, thats a huge downgrade, and why on earth do we want  law? Smith is a good up and coming talent, but i'd like to see him do something worth praise before we anoint him the second coming. Thsi trade breaks down to ray allen and rajon rondo for josh smith, which is retarded. we gave up less proven talent for KG.

I thought mabey we had gotten passed these ridiculous "LETS TRADE RAY RAY! WEEEEEEEEEEE" threads, but i guess not.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
i'd do it for Ray Allen Straight up. Anyone remember Ray struggling at the end of last season? I know it worked out fine, but if anyone is going to have a tough year next year it will be Ray Allen. He is the oldest of big three and he is most likely to get injured

Love how people say this about ray, but all the slumps throughout the season KG and paul went through, those aren't indicators of anything.

remeber that slump KG went on for 2 weeks when he came back? clearly we should trade him for prospects. also, that ray allen slump is overblown, people act like he was 1-20 in 14 consecutive games. In some of those games, he barley shot. it was a slump, three point shooters go through them, and then they come back strong to destroy the pistons in games 5 and 6 and then the lakers  ;D

also, were baseing trades on potential to be injured now? lol. better get that perkins kid out of here for chump change then.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If I was Wyc I would trade my left nut for Josh Smith but unfortunatley wouldnt include both Rondo and Ray Allen in the same deal. Ray for Smith yes I would do it. To call Smith overhyped is ridiculous. He is a monster defender who can run the floor and guard 4 positions. Guys like these are hard to come by. And why couldnt he play back up to KG or in the three spot? Hes a starter in Atlanta but Imagine Josh Smith being the 6th man in Boston? Posey was good but Josh Smith is a star player. The possibilitys on this one are just ridiculous. If we could do Ray Allen and Glenn Davis for Smith and Law Id do it without thinking about it.