Author Topic: Ray Allen 6th Man!  (Read 3944 times)

Ray Allen 6th Man!
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:37:12 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Tonight's game, especially the start, against the Nets--defense and flow with Pietrus and Bass starting, should show Doc the way.  Doc,  "Ray we need you to come off the bench, and be the man, with the 2nd unit.  You will get your minutes and finish games but the 2nd unit starts too slow and  lacks firepower."
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:08:46 AM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

Re: Ray Allen 6th Man!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:55:20 AM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
just suggested the exact same thing in another thread.   Team is way more athletic right now with this lineup.  Ray would get more looks his way on the second unit..  Like pairing him with Avery...

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I feel like this would be so perfect. Let him take over that Eddie House type role where he comes in and just fires away against backup wingers.

The starting lineup is SO much better with Pietrus' athleticism and defense.

Rondo-Pietrus-Pierce-Bass-Garnett

Dooling-Bradley-Allen-Johnson-Wilcox

I can't count on having Jermaine O'Neal.

Not a bad idea.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The Cs certainly need another offensive gun on the court with the second unit.  If it's RA or PP, they're still going to be on the court at the end of the game when execution and experience count for more than athleticism.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:38:20 AM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Another thing to consider is Pietrus is bigger than allen with crazy long arms.  Since Bass is in our front court is on the small side so Pietrus length at the 2 would help on the boards.  Ray doesn't get his nose dirty much, never has really. 

ray needs to just come in and fire away..  He doesn't do much else well anymore and is turnover prone

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 01:49:53 AM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Ray Allen is my favorite player in NBA history after Michael Jordan himself, and I couldn't agree more. I think Ray would be perfect as this team's 6th man off the bench. It seems like a role that would fit him perfectly.

We get Pietrus' defense and speed and athleticism, and then we still have Ray's 3 point shooting and point production. This would be a wise decision for the team to make, I think. He neesd to have a similar role as the one that novak on the knicks has.

The thing is just that Ray has a lot of trouble creating his own shot nowadays, and it is a serious problem for him. He isn't as quick as he needs to be when he has the ball in his hand, and teams are regularly taking advantage of this.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 02:12:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Ray Allen, 6th Man, probably will result in Ray Allen, primary ball-handler, on the floor with Avery Bradley.  Don't you just love it when Ray Allen plays like he thinks he can play like a point guard?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 02:26:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I thought about this after seeing Pietrus affecting the defensive end the way he did.
For me, the factor that tipped me over the edge whilst deciding on this was Pietrus rebounding ability and his size.

Against Lebron, Rip Hamilton and Landry Fields, Pietrus size will become a huge factor.

I also think that Ray is better at creating his own shot than Pietrus. Meaning Ray can penetrate much better whilst getting open shots against weaker second string defenders.

I'm not 100% on this, and would have to see him perform similarly against some tougher competition. (New York and Fields next game would be a great test, then Kobe a few games later even better).

This gives me confidence in Ray being traded for another piece, preferably a big man.
I wonder if Chicago or Dallas would give up Odom or Williams, or the Bulls would give up Asik for his services.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 02:43:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Mickael Pietrus 6th Man!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
The C's Offense is Light-Years better when they actually run in transition. Rondo to Wilcox!

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:24:25 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 177
Love the idea... dont think Ray would
So much for Ubuntu

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Ray already said this off-season that he would be willing to come off the bench .

* On the possibility of coming off the bench next season: “To me, however I can help the team, it’ll figure itself out. One thing in regards to Jeff is, whatever I can do to make him better and to push him and play the best that he can. It’s weird that guys have always looked at it like coming off the bench is such a bad thing. I know we went through the situation with [Allen] Iverson, he didn’t want to come off the bench. But, you’ve always worried more about who finished games, but more importantly, when you’re on a winning team, winning the game is the ultimate objective, so that’s my primary concern. I want to win. I looked at our record this year. It was sad that we didn’t get to 60 wins, and we should have had 60 wins, based on the games we lost, and that would have gave us home-court advantage throughout the whole playoffs, East and West.”

I made a thread about it at the time

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=48701.0

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Ray already said this off-season that he would be willing to come off the bench .

* On the possibility of coming off the bench next season: “To me, however I can help the team, it’ll figure itself out. One thing in regards to Jeff is, whatever I can do to make him better and to push him and play the best that he can. It’s weird that guys have always looked at it like coming off the bench is such a bad thing. I know we went through the situation with [Allen] Iverson, he didn’t want to come off the bench. But, you’ve always worried more about who finished games, but more importantly, when you’re on a winning team, winning the game is the ultimate objective, so that’s my primary concern. I want to win. I looked at our record this year. It was sad that we didn’t get to 60 wins, and we should have had 60 wins, based on the games we lost, and that would have gave us home-court advantage throughout the whole playoffs, East and West.”

I made a thread about it at the time

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=48701.0

That's good; so it's up to Doc to experiment with Ray coming off the bench then since he won't resist it.

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline Bingbangbarros

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
I was always against Ray coming off the bench but I think it might actually help us. There are times when he doesn't take  enough shotes but honestly, he is too unselfish with the first unit. Even though he's slowed down I think that with the second unit, they can run more plays for him and if he's more aggressive the shots will come. It will give him a chance to get it going altough I'm still skeptical about the looks he will get.

I'm not 100% convinced but I just don't think he does enough anymore to play 35 minutes per game. If Pietrus plays more like he's been playing lately and stops strictly shooting 3's (aggressively) I am all for it.

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
TP to you Feckless for this post. I made a post late last year or during this past summer that were I coach, I would give serious, serious consideration to starting Jeff Green this year, with either Pierce or Allen come off the bench.

I  would have told Pierce to slim down and be prepared to play more Off guard, bring Ray off the bench.

1. Gives Rondo someone to really run with
2. Gets Green integrated faster
3. Thought it would help our rebounding with Pierce and Green rather than Ray and Pierce...
4. Increased athleticism - Vet presence off the bench.

We need to be forward thinking at this point with who's going to be carrying the load next year and beyond - that is not Ray.

Naturally, I got roundly skewered for a completely assinine suggestion to bench Ray Allen.

Bottom line - I'm the coach, your the player. "Ray, your going to be our sixth man now. You don't like it, we can trade you, no problem, grow up, you're making $10mil a year and you're an employee..."

Obviously, you can do it more tactfully than that, but the underlying sentiment is exactly that and the result if not taken graciously by the employee would in fact be a trade, period."

Anyway, this team needs a real injection of youth and energy mixed in with the vets, it's time. I LOVE KG, Ray and Pierce - but, it's time.

If we don't trade Ray for Josh Smith, this would be a no brainer for me as coach. Team becomes much stronger.

I'd still like to get another big man banger though. Where I don't know...

Again, TP.