Author Topic: Interesting Perspective on Rondo from Jazz fans...  (Read 7629 times)

Re: Interesting Perspective on Rondo from Jazz fans...
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 08:47:18 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Jazz fans have labeled Al Jefferson as a cancer; this isnt surprising in the slightest

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Jazz fans have labeled Al Jefferson as a cancer; this isnt surprising in the slightest

Well I'm surprised.  I always thought of Al as a great person.  Why is he considered a cancer?  I know he hasn't turned out as good as people thought, but what did he do that would consider him a cancer?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119

Well I'm surprised.  I always thought of Al as a great person.  Why is he considered a cancer?  I know he hasn't turned out as good as people thought, but what did he do that would consider him a cancer?

I dont watch many Jazz games to be honest so I dont want to judge his game in any kind of way; but Im taking this straight off the Jazz forum of another site that I frequent - and this is DEFINITELY the common opinion on that board;

"I would like to see him gone. Yes he can score, but, he hurts the Jazz in every other way. He doesn't even score efficiently (he takes a ton of shots). He stalls the offense, kills the momentum of games, and his defense is so bad it spreads to others. Everyone plays tougher defense when AJ is not in. The game flows much better without him, and while nobody can replace his scoring at the moment, I'm not convinced he's a net positive for the team. And I'm not even taking the big picture into consideration. With that, it's a no-brainer. "

Once again; not my words.  I havent seen Al play a game outside of his two a year against the Celtics in i dont know how long

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 09:59:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
http://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?9194-Celtics-fan-on-Rondo

Posted a thread over at a Utah Jazz forum and was very surprised with just how much they were all willing to give up for Rondo...And I quote...

"I think most of us would take Jefferson+Harris+GS pick for Rondo+random big. I don't think it's much of a rip off at all..'

...Am I the only one who does that in a second?

Jazz fans probably just watch Rondo play, as opposed to reading much of the negative nonsense on this blog and then watching him on an game by game (if not play by play) basis looking for things he does wrong, so they'd have a higher opinion of Rondo than many here. Just like people here don't watch players on other teams as critically as they watch Rondo, so they don't notice that other players are flawed or inconsistent.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
After the celtics the jazz are my second team. I've watched all Jazz games this year and Big Al is a pretty damm good player. The only thing i'm concerned with is his defense although. His rebounding is good but his defense is not that good.

Still he is the 2nd best center in the west after Bynum.

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think Cancer is the wrong word.  But I certainly do not think he adds anywhere near what his stats represent.  He is the modern day Shareef Abdur Rahim.  He puts up stats, but because he doesn't defend, and he doesn't always work efficiently within the offense, he ends up being about as effective as a role player, even though he puts up the stats of a star.

So, I think Jefferson can absolutely be part of a winning team...it just needs to in a smaller role than you would expect.

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I think Cancer is the wrong word.  But I certainly do not think he adds anywhere near what his stats represent.  He is the modern day Shareef Abdur Rahim.  He puts up stats, but because he doesn't defend, and he doesn't always work efficiently within the offense, he ends up being about as effective as a role player, even though he puts up the stats of a star.

So, I think Jefferson can absolutely be part of a winning team...it just needs to in a smaller role than you would expect.

The Jazz are 6 points worse with him on the floor than without, and his backup is a 19-year-old rookie with, according to Draftexpress, "fewer minutes of competitive basketball over the course of his career than possibly any lottery prospect we've ever evaluated."

That tells you a lot.

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

The Jazz are 6 points worse with him on the floor than without, and his backup is a 19-year-old rookie with, according to Draftexpress, "fewer minutes of competitive basketball over the course of his career than possibly any lottery prospect we've ever evaluated."

That tells you a lot.

OK, maybe I was being a little nice, with all the Jefferson fans on here  ;D

The bottom line is, his stats are VERY decieving. 

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

Well said -- especially the highlighted line

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I would like to add one thing though.  If the C's are going to tank and fully rebuild, I am 100% for trying to get Jefferson for a bargain this summer.  He is the perfect option for a team trying to tank (and I mean this in the nicest way).  He won't win you too many games, but he is an absolute pleasure to watch.  I am a huge fan of quality low post offense, and I have always enjoyed watching Jefferson go to work down there as much as anyone in the NBA today.  I don't think he is the answer for a team looking to win NBA games, but if I have to sit through a year of them losing, I would rather do it watching a guy like Jefferson.

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 03:19:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I would like to add one thing though.  If the C's are going to tank and fully rebuild, I am 100% for trying to get Jefferson for a bargain this summer.  He is the perfect option for a team trying to tank (and I mean this in the nicest way).  He won't win you too many games, but he is an absolute pleasure to watch.  I am a huge fan of quality low post offense, and I have always enjoyed watching Jefferson go to work down there as much as anyone in the NBA today.  I don't think he is the answer for a team looking to win NBA games, but if I have to sit through a year of them losing, I would rather do it watching a guy like Jefferson.

hahah..."I don't always like watching dumb movies that make me more stupid, but when I do, I watch Biodome."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

hahah..."I don't always like watching dumb movies that make me more stupid, but when I do, I watch Biodome."

If you're gonna suck, might as well be aesthetically pleasing.

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It kept people fairly entertained before the KG and Ray trades, that's for sure.

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
If you're gonna suck, might as well be aesthetically pleasing.

I might have to adopt this saying as my signature.  It really says it all. ;D

Re: Jefferson, I will say it's frustrating to watch someone who is perpetually a step slow on defense. 

"I don't watch many Jazz games, but when I do, I don't particularly enjoy watching Jefferson."--The Most Interesting Man in the World

"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark