Author Topic: Doc says no talk of Rondo deal  (Read 11340 times)

Re: Doc says no talk of Rondo deal
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's contrary to other stuff they've said where they say everyone is always on the block, they're constantly evaluating, yadda yadda.

Either you're thinking about it because you're in a transition year or you aren't doing your job.

Doc and Danny both said that they aren't trying to trade Rondo, neither of them said he's not available at any price. If they get a great offer, they'll make the trade. But the rumors that they're shopping him seem to be false.

I'm 100% sure the Celts are talking trade with many teams as we come to the deadline. I'm 100% sure that Rondo's name comes up. I'm 100% sure Danny wants to know the value of Rondo. That's shopping.  You walk into a store. You look at what's there. You look at what's in your wallet. You possibly haggle. They say well you got this. You say no I've got that. Rondo's name pops up. Boom shopping.

Danny doesn't have to stand on a soap box and yell to the world "Rondo's for sale. Half off. Come and get it while it's hot" to be shopping, which he'd apparently have us believe.

If Danny calls other teams and asks them what they'd give him for Rondo, or calls them and proposes trades involving Rondo then you could say that he's shopping Rondo. If teams call him proposing trades for Rondo he will listen to them, and if he gets a great offer he'll take it. That's why "Danny's not shopping Rondo" and "everyone's available if a great deal comes along" are both true. He said that he's not trying to unload Rondo, not that Rondo's unavailable.

And for Doc to say Rondo's name never came up at all. Well that's just a bold face lie and sort of an insult to our intelligence. I bet his name came up for several years in a row. Possibly every year.

Did you read the article?

"Doc Rivers spent an hour and a half with president of basketball operations Danny Ainge before Wednesday's win over Milwaukee, but the Boston Celtics' coach says they never discussed trading point guard Rajon Rondo."

I see not trying to unload as different from not shopping. I definitely think it's possible that Doc and Danny didn't talk about this on Wednesday, but for Doc to say a Rondo trade idea has never crossed his desk is BS. If that's true it's only because they're in agreement as to his worth and Danny hasn't gotten that, so he didn't bother Doc about the non-deals. But it's not like Rondo is Tom Brady. If Kraft said "We have never discussed trading Brady" I'd believe that. But for members of the Celts to say they've never discussed trading Rondo.....well then they aren't doing their jobs. Or they aren't telling the truth. One or the other. I suspect they're doing their jobs.

The quotes in the article seem to imply Rondo as borderline untouchable. I highly doubt Doc really really just loves this point guard who often tunes him out, has a history of clashes, and hasn't improved his shot in years, especially while he has a 20 year old super defender right behind him. 

Again, Doc was talking about his meeting with Danny, not that they've *never* discussed trading Rondo. I highly doubt Doc has the same opinion of Rondo that you do, and I think it's extremely unlikely that he's itching to replace Rondo with a good defender whose pg skills don't extend far beyond bringing the ball upcourt after the opposing team scores.

Doc basically said they haven't discussed trading Rondo in a long time. I don't believe him. Also I bet Doc has some curiosity what he could get for him, and that requires shopping. I just think basically they're ok with him, maybe even like him. They seem to be saying they like him a lot, maybe even love him.  In fact they love him so much they hardly have even talked about trade scenarios involving him. Not buying it.

Is that you, Chris Broussard?  Now you are "betting" and "guessing" as to what Doc Rivers' relationship is with Rajon Rondo. 

Please don't believe what the man has to say when he's actually directly quoted.  Rather, base your opinions on unsubstantiated rumours and wild speculation.  That's always the smart thing to do. 
I can either believe Doc and Danny or my own lying eyes.
I admit with Doc saying he expects Rondo to be here he may be painting himself into a corner. in a way.

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It's contrary to other stuff they've said where they say everyone is always on the block, they're constantly evaluating, yadda yadda.

Either you're thinking about it because you're in a transition year or you aren't doing your job.

Doc and Danny both said that they aren't trying to trade Rondo, neither of them said he's not available at any price. If they get a great offer, they'll make the trade. But the rumors that they're shopping him seem to be false.

I'm 100% sure the Celts are talking trade with many teams as we come to the deadline. I'm 100% sure that Rondo's name comes up. I'm 100% sure Danny wants to know the value of Rondo. That's shopping.  You walk into a store. You look at what's there. You look at what's in your wallet. You possibly haggle. They say well you got this. You say no I've got that. Rondo's name pops up. Boom shopping.

Danny doesn't have to stand on a soap box and yell to the world "Rondo's for sale. Half off. Come and get it while it's hot" to be shopping, which he'd apparently have us believe.

And for Doc to say Rondo's name never came up at all. Well that's just a bold face lie and sort of an insult to our intelligence. I bet his name came up for several years in a row. Possibly every year.

What will he have us thinking next? That he pays only passing attention to Duke basketball?

Taking the word of National Enquirer type journalism as absolute proof that Rajon Rondo is already on his way out the door is much more of an insult to anyone's intelligence.
I didn't say he was out the door, just that they were shopping him. I highly doubt that when talking with other teams that Rondo never comes up or when he does Danny covers his ears and starts humming loud saying "I'm not listening!" I highly doubt he never brings up Rondo and then if the other team does he says "Oh we aren't shopping him"

In the mean time I'm pretty shocked with all the Broussard is less credible than Danny stuff. Danny and Doc are invested in not revealing their hand and Broussard in invested in being accurate.

Coach speak is far less trustable than reporters.

But Chris Broussard doesn't know anything and has nothing to do with the workings of the Boston Celtics.  He is a writer of stories, and he's allowed to write whatever his fancy desires.  When Danny Ainge or Doc Rivers are directly quoted by reporters in their own words, they are accountable for those words as the figure heads of the Boston Celtics organization.  Chris Broussard can take his stories based on unsubstantiated sources and say "oops, I was wrong."  As long as his stories are entertaining, he'll be encouraged by his employers to keep writing his yellow journalism.  
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I'm 100% sure the Celts are talking trade with many teams as we come to the deadline. I'm 100% sure that Rondo's name comes up. I'm 100% sure Danny wants to know the value of Rondo. That's shopping.  You walk into a store. You look at what's there. You look at what's in your wallet. You possibly haggle. They say well you got this. You say no I've got that. Rondo's name pops up. Boom shopping.

What will he have us thinking next? That he pays only passing attention to Duke basketball?

Taking the word of National Enquirer type journalism as absolute proof that Rajon Rondo is already on his way out the door is much more of an insult to anyone's intelligence.
I didn't say he was out the door, just that they were shopping him. I highly doubt that when talking with other teams that Rondo never comes up or when he does Danny covers his ears and starts humming loud saying "I'm not listening!" I highly doubt he never brings up Rondo and then if the other team does he says "Oh we aren't shopping him"

In the mean time I'm pretty shocked with all the Broussard is less credible than Danny stuff. Danny and Doc are invested in not revealing their hand and Broussard in invested in being accurate.

But Chris Broussard doesn't know anything and has nothing to do with the workings of the Boston Celtics.  He is a writer of stories, and he's allowed to write whatever his fancy desires.  When Danny Ainge or Doc Rivers are directly quoted by reporters in their own words, they are accountable for those words as the figure heads of the Boston Celtics organization.  Chris Broussard can take his stories based on unsubstantiated sources and say "oops, I was wrong."  As long as his stories are entertaining, he'll be encouraged by his employers to keep writing his yellow journalism.  
I totally agree there's a ton of yellow journalism in sports and a lot of it comes from espn, but that doesn't make it wrong.  I guess my mind was already made up that the Celts were pursuing trades and Rondo's name was coming up, and therefore were shopping him. I find some of what Broussard said believable, but I'd also believe it could be made up.  On the other hand Broussard has to be a little careful too. When he says specifically that Golden State said no, but thought about trading Steph Curry for Rondo, if that were totally wrong I'd think Golden State would be like "Woah woah woah. We never discussed moving Steph for Rondo. We like Steph"

It's all a big poker game and I'm just calling some bluffs is all. I could totally lose my chips here.

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I totally agree there's a ton of yellow journalism in sports and a lot of it comes from espn, but that doesn't make it wrong.  I guess my mind was already made up that the Celts were pursuing trades and Rondo's name was coming up, and therefore were shopping him. I find some of what Broussard said believable, but I'd also believe it could be made up.  On the other hand Broussard has to be a little careful too. When he says specifically that Golden State said no, but thought about trading Steph Curry for Rondo, if that were totally wrong I'd think Golden State would be like "Woah woah woah. We never discussed moving Steph for Rondo. We like Steph"

It's all a big poker game and I'm just calling some bluffs is all. I could totally lose my chips here.

To add to this discussion; the type of yellow journalism presented by the likes of Broussard gets picked up and expounded on by other journalists.  Bloggers like ourselves then run with it in panic or ecstasy (depending on our position) and this serves to further cement these stories as having more truth to them than they actually have.

This doesn't mean that Rajon Rondo, or anyone else on the struggling Celtics, is immune from getting traded.  This, of course, has been the case for a while, so nothing has really changed over the last few weeks other than that the Celtics have been playing badly and Rondo got tossed from a game for doing something stupid and that he was boycotting the media over anger at not being selected for the all-star game.  I'm guessing that Broussard used these events as well as the tone and tenor of the blogosphere to put his piece together more than any inside knowledge.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 02:44:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

To add to this discussion; the type of yellow journalism presented by the likes of Broussard gets picked up and expounded on by other journalists.  Bloggers like ourselves then run with it in panic or ecstasy (depending on our position) and this serves to further cement these stories as having more truth to them than they actually have.

Another point worth noting is that 1 reporter made a comment that was denied by the people involved and "The Celts Are Shopping Rondo" showed up on just about every nba website you could think of. It will also continue to show up in columns discussing trades for the next few weeks. People see the same rumor show up all over the internet and assume that it's true because they see it so often. They don't realize that 50 reporters telling you something can mean 49 reporters repeating what they heard from 1 person.

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
“I think that LA certainly wants a point guard, there’s no question. I know Kobe [Bryant]loves Rondo, and he’d love to play with him. I’ve also been told, for all the talk about that Gasol [rumor] … I’ve been told the two teams never ever discussed — LA had never called Boston and they’ve never discussed it. I don’t think it’s anything that’s really based in any reality.”

Added Wojnarowski: “They’re not going to trade him unless they get a superstar back. So, that probably tells you they’re not going to trade him, because that kind of player is not available to them right now.”

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/03/02/adrian-wojnarowski-on-dc-dont-see-rondo-deal-happening/

I don't know about you, but I'll believe Woj over the likes of Broussard, Amico, ect.

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder if some of these trade ideas originate with front office underlings who pitch the ideas to their bosses, only to get shot down by the GM, then someone leaks it to a reporter.  I could see Ainge saying no, then throwing it out there just to see the reaction.  He could tell reporter A that there was some interest in a Gasol-for-Rondo trade in the front office and tell reporter B that he never discussed it with LA and be telling the truth to both of them.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference