Author Topic: Come on Fearless Leader!!  (Read 10036 times)

Come on Fearless Leader!!
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:48:48 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
What gives Paul?! Yet another night of terrible shooting, horrible defense, and a very nonchalant attitude out there. Once again your man was the only guy on the floor who really played well. Prince killed you tonight just like Jefferson did in the last one. I wasn't concerned with the Milwaukee game because quite honestly we all knew that was a win without much effort. This however was the Pistons on their home floor. It was a chance to show them who was still in control. I think we did that, however it was more because of TA than you. I didn't see any emotion. Any effort. I just saw a player who didn't seem that interested in being out there. Thankfully TA was as was the rest of the team. I know PP will turn this around, however I don't like the effort at all. I thought when he came back in the shape he did he was going to be mentally zoned in and ready to play. He isn't there yet. Let's get back into it! Once you get into a habit of playing like that it can become hard to break out of.

Re: Come on Fearless Leader!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:35:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The only problem I had with Paul was that he got into foul trouble...and at least a couple of the calls were questionable.  Its tough for him to do much when he is sitting on the bench. 

I don't know what you are talking about horrible defense and nonchalant attitude though.  I didn't see that at all.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:42:55 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
What gives Paul?! Yet another night of terrible shooting, horrible defense, and a very nonchalant attitude out there. Once again your man was the only guy on the floor who really played well. Prince killed you tonight just like Jefferson did in the last one. I wasn't concerned with the Milwaukee game because quite honestly we all knew that was a win without much effort. This however was the Pistons on their home floor. It was a chance to show them who was still in control. I think we did that, however it was more because of TA than you. I didn't see any emotion. Any effort. I just saw a player who didn't seem that interested in being out there. Thankfully TA was as was the rest of the team. I know PP will turn this around, however I don't like the effort at all. I thought when he came back in the shape he did he was going to be mentally zoned in and ready to play. He isn't there yet. Let's get back into it! Once you get into a habit of playing like that it can become hard to break out of.

Fear not, good Celtics fan.

I get your observation, but keep in mind that these are veteran players, these big 3.  Pearce is really like the coach on the court and he really gets tempo.  When he needs to turn it on, he turns it on.  He could be doing this the whole game, but really, this is the time of year to trust your team-mates and give them their chances to dominate and do well (this is better than what Kobe does, btw.) 

Trust your team-mates and let them develop, Pierce is the best when it comes to being a garbage man and taking over when nothing is going right. 
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:57:47 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
I'll admit that PP's defensive effort could have been a bit better the last two games, but I think overall he's doing what Tim Duncan used to do during the early part of the season, namely, refraining from taking over games, playing team ball almost to a fault, letting others have a chance to assert themselves, etc. It's a bit maddening, but it's also an effective strategy. When Paul needs to, and as the season progresses, he will will this team to wins. Why not let Tony and Ray win games for us now, and give them a confidence boost for the rest of the season?

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Fear not, good Celtics fan.

I get your observation, but keep in mind that these are veteran players, these big 3.  Pearce is really like the coach on the court and he really gets tempo.  When he needs to turn it on, he turns it on.  He could be doing this the whole game, but really, this is the time of year to trust your team-mates and give them their chances to dominate and do well (this is better than what Kobe does, btw.) 

Trust your team-mates and let them develop, Pierce is the best when it comes to being a garbage man and taking over when nothing is going right. 

I realize that this is likely what he was doing, however I don't like it at all because he is letting his player set the tone vs us setting it. Many of those buckets that Prince hit he was out there. He didn't really get any phantom fouls, rather he just didn't seem that interested in playing great defense. I don't think that it is that easy to just "turn it on". That's why he is shooting 38.5 percent from the floor and 67.6% from the free throw line. That shows lack of effort to me. I would like to see him come out in the first 8-10 minutes and put it to his opponent on both ends. This shows the other guys what is expected and puts them in the drivers seat from the beginning. If you are one of the big three then you better act like it. So far he hasn't and we are 7 games in. I'm okay if he is struggling, however not because of lack of effort.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:07:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics are winning with him playing like this, they will be even better when he gets out of his offensive slump. 

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
If the Celtics are winning with him playing like this, they will be even better when he gets out of his offensive slump. 

Same goes for KG.  The team is 6-1 despite overall poor play on the early season by their two best players.  After getting past the initial worry about if they'll right the ship on offense, which they will, you have to be thrilled with the way they are still defending like mad men.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I agree with you all the way here.I feel the same about his lack of interest or look like it anyway.He was not into it tonight nor the other night.Jefferson was just spotting up from side to side  hitting the three in the first half.We were lucky he went cold in the second half or it might have been a different outcome.Tonight he carried the same nonaggressive attitude into Detroit.Maybe there is something personal going on in his life bothering him or maybe as some have stated its early in the season.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 10:42:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
you have to be thrilled with the way they are still defending like mad men.

Yep, absolutely.  One of the question I had about this team is whether they'd be able to match last years ridiculously high level of defensive intensity.  They've answered it pretty darn well so far.

No worries about the Captain.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 08:59:52 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
It's a bit weird, Pierce hasn't been shooting well, but he's been playing well.

Half the games I watch I don't realize how badly he's shooting until I see the box score. Aside from the last two games he's beem doing everything else extremely well it seems. The defense, passing, and rebounding have been great, but the shots just aren't falling.

The only time Pierce's man really scores is when he is helping with the team defense. The only problem with Pierce so far is his shooting, but that seems to be a case with each of the Big 3. All of them are shooting below the type of percentages expected of them. I'm not to worried right now, I feel the offense will come, but the defense will do the job while we wait.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 09:15:30 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
The only problem I had with Paul was that he got into foul trouble...and at least a couple of the calls were questionable.  Its tough for him to do much when he is sitting on the bench. 

I don't know what you are talking about horrible defense and nonchalant attitude though.  I didn't see that at all.

yea,...not sure what are seeing here?

shooting im right with you on, he's been lights out at defense, rebounding, and passing on the offensive end (minus the detroit game, where foul trouble kept him out of the game).

He's shooting like poo, but the other aspects of his game have been excellent.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 09:40:52 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Yeah either all of that or he got into foul trouble and didn't want to force things with so many great players like BBD to fill the void of the C's leader.  5 years ago Paul would have done what you wanted him to do and force things when it wasn't his night.  Not anymore get used to these type of games with great players like BBD and the crew around.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
As long as we're winning, I wouldn't worry too much with the Truth's shooting woes. If this were a few years ago, I would be very concerned because a poor Pierce game then usually translated to a loss for the C's.

As long as Pierce keeps up his defensive intensity along with KG's level or just close to it, we'll be fine. Besides, it's nice to see other players pick up the slack when the Big 3 aren't up to their offensive groove. Right Tony Allen?  ;)

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I'm not really concerned with his shooting woes. He'll come out of that. He is a great scorer. I just don't think that you can say he is doing a great job defensively because he is getting torched out there. He is rebounding fine. He even seems to be passing fine. He just isn't intense on the defensive end and that's what makes this team great. KG brings the defensive intensity no matter what. If his shot is falling then it's a bonus. I've watched every game PP has played for years, and this isn't the same intense PP we saw last year.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 11:58:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's a total team effort with these guys.  IF we were losing I think we would be seeing a ton of articles and forum threads about how the Big 3 is washed up.  None of them seem to be performing near the level they did in their prime... but if we keep finding ways to win games I guess it doesn't matter.