Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 7363 times)

Re: Boxing
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 09:14:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Every time I judge a guy by his physique in boxing I think of Two Ton Tony Galento. The trained on Beer and Roasted Chicken and had over 250 fights many of them not in the ring. He stood about 5-9 230 lbs, if you fought him you'd better bring a lunch because you were going to be there a while. He fought Joe Louis for the title and lost. He also fought Jackie Gleeson...and won. In short, the guy was a short rotund, unathletic, brawler from the 1940s that loved fighting.

Some guys just don't have an Adonis type of body no matter what they do in the gym.     

some is IQ too,  knowing how to judge the mental condition of an opponent. Gettin in their head , sitting them up for a eventual defeat. Never underestimate anybody in a real fight .

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 09:23:26 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I want to say, the Ruiz victory cost a potential Joshua vs Wilder matchup a ton of money. Then again, Joshua has avoided Wilder like the plague and may have never agreed to a fight in the first place. It reminds me of how Floyd Mayweather avoided Pacquiao, and only agreed to a fight when Manny was clearly on the decline.

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I want to say, the Ruiz victory cost a potential Joshua vs Wilder matchup a ton of money. Then again, Joshua has avoided Wilder like the plague and may have never agreed to a fight in the first place. It reminds me of how Floyd Mayweather avoided Pacquiao, and only agreed to a fight when Manny was clearly on the decline.
Wilder's management has avoided Joshua just as much to be fair
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 01:40:58 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

That's the risk of following the Mayweather-Pacquiao path of waiting forever to stoke as much interest and money in a fight. If someone loses then the golden goose is cooked.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 03:46:01 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

That's the risk of following the Mayweather-Pacquiao path of waiting forever to stoke as much interest and money in a fight. If someone loses then the golden goose is cooked.

It should be a lesson for greedy promoters not to over-marinate the fight. They should strike while the iron is hot. But to be fair, Eddie Hearn earned so much milking the UK fans by matching AJ against domestic level fighters.

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 01:11:58 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Pacman's a world champion again at age 40! Hands Thurman his first career loss. What a legend.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/27231617/pacquiao-hands-thurman-1st-career-loss

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 01:17:34 AM by ozgod »

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 04:28:31 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
As good as Pacman is at 40, I don't think he don't have it anymore against the likes of Spence or Crawrford. Those two are not just the top fighters of the division but also the p4p as well.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 04:36:45 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
PacMan is a monster. Dude’s 40 and he won that convincingly
- LilRip

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Russian boxer Maxim Dadashev has died as a result of injuries sustained in an 11th round TKO to Subriel Mathias on Friday.

Junior welterweight Maxim Dadashev died Tuesday morning as a result of brain injuries suffered during an 11th-round knockout loss to Subriel Matias on Friday night at the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland. Dadashev was 28.

Donatas Janusevicius -- Dadashev's strength and conditioning coach -- and trainer Buddy McGirt confirmed Dadashev's death. Janusevicius had been with Dadashev at UM Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly, Maryland, since he was taken there after the fight.

"It just makes you realize what type of sport we're in, man," McGirt told ESPN. "He did everything right in training, no problems, no nothing. My mind is like really running crazy right now. Like, what could I have done differently? But at the end of the day, everything was fine [in training].

"He seemed OK, he was ready, but it's the sport that we're in. It just takes one punch, man."

A hospital spokeswoman issued a statement on behalf of Dadashev's widow, Elizaveta Apushkina, who made her way from Russia to the hospital in the Washington, D.C., suburbs Monday night.

"It is with great sadness that I confirm the passing of my husband, Maxim Dadashev," she said. "He was a very kind person who fought until the very end. Our son will continue be raised to be a great man like his father. Lastly, I would like to thank everyone that cared for Maxim during his final days. I ask that everyone please respect our privacy during this very difficult time."

The fight was grueling and Matias dominated. He landed numerous powerful blows to the head and body. Matias was ahead 109-100, 108-101 and 107-102 on the scorecards following the 11th round when McGirt stopped the fight, with Dadashev on the stool in a dramatic scene.

After the round, McGirt loudly told Dadashev, "I'm going to stop it, Max. Max, you're getting hit too much."

Dadashev shook his head to indicate he did not want the fight stopped, but McGirt kept at it: "Please, Max, please. Let me do this. OK? OK? Look at me. Please."

Dadashev shook his head again and McGirt said, "If I don't, the referee's gonna do it. C'mon, Max. Please."

McGirt didn't wait for another signal from Dadashev.

"That's it, Doc," he told the ringside physician. Then he turned to referee Kenny Chevalier: "That's it."

McGirt said he first thought about throwing in the towel in the ninth round, but he knew he had to stop it after the 11th.

"I saw him fading and when he came back to the corner [after the 11th round], my mind was already made up," McGirt said. "I was just asking him out of respect, but my mind was made up. I wasn't going to let him go out there."

Dadashev (13-1, 11 KOs), from Saint Petersburg, Russia, and based in Oxnard, California, needed help leaving the ring. He collapsed before making it to the dressing room and began vomiting. He was taken from the arena on a stretcher and then was transported by ambulance to the hospital, where he underwent emergency brain surgery for two hours for a subdural hematoma -- bleeding on the brain. Doctors hoped to relieve pressure on the right side of his brain, where most of the damage was, with the surgery and placed him in a medically induced coma, to allow time for brain swelling to subside.

Dadashev, whose purse was $75,000 plus his training expenses, faced Matias in a 140-pound world title elimination fight for the right to become the mandatory challenger for the belt held by Josh Taylor.

"Maxim was a terrific young man," Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, Dadashev's promoter, said in a statement. "We are all saddened and affected by his untimely death."

ESPN, which streamed the bout on ESPN+, also issued a statement.

"Our heartfelt thoughts are with Dadashev's family, friends, trainers and the team at Top Rank," the statement said.

McGirt lauded Dadashev's dedication to the sport.

"Great, great guy. He was a trainer's dream," McGirt said. "If I had two more guys like him, I wouldn't need anybody else because he was truly dedicated to the sport."

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/27244105/boxer-dadashev-dies-friday-fight-injuries