Author Topic: Fab Melo anyone?  (Read 12908 times)

Re: Fab Melo anyone?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
I'd bet you $1k that popovich would put him in..as i recall, splitter was about as rough...so pop played him into a contributer...Doc...sits him until he is GREAT...too bad that doesn't work..!

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
fab melo was the reason syracuse was the #1 college team for a good portion of last season.

Hasheem Thabeet was a beast in college.  Look at how long it's taken him to become a serviceable rotation big in the league. 

They are very similar.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd bet you $1k that popovich would put him in..as i recall, splitter was about as rough...so pop played him into a contributer...Doc...sits him until he is GREAT...too bad that doesn't work..!

Tiago Splitter has been playing professional basketball since 2003, and in his second to last season before entering the NBA averaged 17.8 points per game in the Spanish ACB league (one of the most competitive in the world).

There is NO similarity between Tiago Splitter and Fab Melo in terms of experience and readiness to play at a professional level.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......

Tiago Splitter has been playing professional basketball since 2003, and in his second to last season before entering the NBA averaged 17.8 points per game in the Spanish ACB league (one of the most competitive in the world).

There is NO similarity between Tiago Splitter and Fab Melo in terms of experience and readiness to play at a professional level.
Well, good for you, and your research....i was wrong on part of that then. BUT, pop would still play melo, and that is evident from his past, all his rookies played till they made it or lost it...but played a lot till it was fact, and that is a fact. :-*

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
fab melo was the reason syracuse was the #1 college team for a good portion of last season.

Hasheem Thabeet was a beast in college.  Look at how long it's taken him to become a serviceable rotation big in the league. 

They are very similar.
except thabeet playede a lot till he was better...melo plays NONE...the D league, will always be the D league, it isn't the NBA, college part II...so what....only playing in the NBA gets you ready for the NBA.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 05:15:29 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride

They are very similar.
except thabeet playede a lot till he was better...melo plays NONE...the D league, will always be the D league, it isn't the NBA, college part II...so what....only playing in the NBA gets you ready for the NBA.
Hasheem Thabeet played a lot?

Did you not see his minutes the last few seasons?
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
last year he played a lot....

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Popovich has had a young, raw foreign big drafted in the late first round on his roster before.

Ian Mahinmi played 46 games in the D-League as a 21-year-old rookie, but only 24 minutes in 6 games with the Spurs.

I think that provides a clue as to how Popovich might use a young, mobile, athletic, offensively-challenged big who might be lacking in fundamentals because he grew up playing soccer and switched to basketball later than when many start playing.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Fab will be a solid NBA starter someday, just not this year. I think next year he may get rotation minutes.

Fab just needs confidence. He needs to hit the weight room so he'll feel more confident on the floor and battle under the boards more. He can definitely be an impact player, look at Syracuse and he's an excellent P&R defender for his size.

Just give him time..

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Well, good for you, and your research....i was wrong on part of that then. BUT, pop would still play melo, and that is evident from his past, all his rookies played till they made it or lost it...but played a lot till it was fact, and that is a fact. :-*

sorry to have do this meadowlark...but what doc did with perk was bolt his butt to the bench for the first 2 years he was a pro. and that worked out quite well.

i understand your desire for the celtics to be better and agree. but i dont think melo is ready to anything right now.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
Well, no arguement with anyone elses opinion....i just would play the guy.....it isn't as if we are overloaded with big guys.....and an injury....then what......the D league....= no help.....playing a guy....man, you act as though it is an act of God.......if he played college, he isn't that far away...olajuwan played soccer......sitting guys out for their first year....Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline....why do you accept this....

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
besides Perk, doc also bolted bradley to the bench until he worked himself into being a quality role player.

the whole idea that "doc doesnt play rookies" should be thrown out the window with the play he is giving sullinger this year.

its just that most Rookies are NOT nba ready to contribute to contending teams.

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Well, no arguement with anyone elses opinion....i just would play the guy.....it isn't as if we are overloaded with big guys.....and an injury....then what......the D league....= no help.....playing a guy....man, you act as though it is an act of God.......if he played college, he isn't that far away...olajuwan played soccer......sitting guys out for their first year....****...why do you accept this....

sure. and a tp for liking the celtics so much.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
He isn't ready, don't quit your day job and think you can be a scout.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/index.html?nav=page

19 MPG
2.5 RPG
2.5 BPG
8  PPG
.66 FG%

This is against NBADL talent.   2.5 RPG is abyssmal for a guy with his mobility and footwork.   He has really band hands but has nice defensive anticipation.

These are the guys who are out rebounding him.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=20&season=22012&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

I cringed when we drafted him, I hope I am wrong.

Question - how do you feel Collins would fare in the D league? I don't think he'd do much better..

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14