Author Topic: Did Danny do his due diligence, should he have?  (Read 7578 times)

Re: Did Danny do his due diligence, should he have?
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2019, 09:13:39 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Rich Paul.

???

Rich Paul works for Anthony Davis, not the other way around. Anthony Davis actually hired Rich Paul. Rich Paul represents Lebron. Lebron plays for the Lakers. The Lakers need star power.

It's very easy to connect the dots.

I just believe Rich Paul went out of his way to sway AD from committing to us long term.

At one time just a couple of months ago - AD simply wanted to go somewhere where he could WIN...

Now? He goes back to being dead set on joining LAL...

I love his talent but AD seems like one who can be easily influenced....maybe with the bright lights...movie stardom...who knows?

Winning and Tradition don't mean as much anymore.

Rich Paul could've used a NUMBER of things to sway AD from us.

I know if "I" were AD I'd be wearing Celtics Green right now and prepping for my first news conference in BOS.

Warm weather, Hollywood, celebrities, beaches...and getting to play with LeBron James over Boston and its "history" is probably a no-brainer for the average person, sadly.

Lakers are going to surpass the Celtics in banners, it's just a matter of time.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I have no doubt Ainge did his "due diligence." 

There were also other considerations: the inputs of Stevens and Wyc, for example.

Stevens does not value bigs as much as others. Maybe he didn't value Davis. And Davis gets hurt frequently. He misses games.

Maybe the money was prohibitive in terms of re-signing him. That could be a bigger concern than actually re-signing him. Hayward's contract is an albatross right now. And with Irving coming back, it might have been excessive.

Maybe he didn't want to give up all those draft picks he's hoarded, particularly for a rental.

Some of us view a dominant big like Davis as critical for the Celtics success. I doubt Ainge/Stevens share that view.

I'm sure they weighed all these things carefully, and decided not to throw the dice.

I doubt that. I just think Rich Paul's comments killed the trade for the Celts. The OP brings up a good point though. Shouldn't Ainge have seen this coming?

I doubt Paul had any influence on Ainge. He said the same thing last trade deadline. Ainge has to explain himself on this one. And he clearly wasn't the only one making this decision. Stevens and ownership were also involved.

That guy up in Toronto must be laughing. He ignored the media, traded for Leonard, and now is smelling like a rose.

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Rich Paul.

???

Rich Paul works for Anthony Davis, not the other way around. Anthony Davis actually hired Rich Paul. Rich Paul represents Lebron. Lebron plays for the Lakers. The Lakers need star power.

I just believe Rich Paul went out of his way to sway AD from committing to us long term.

At one time just a couple of months ago - AD simply wanted to go somewhere where he could WIN...

I love his talent but AD seems like one who can be easily influenced....maybe with the bright lights...movie stardom...who knows?

I know if "I" were AD I'd be wearing Celtics Green right now and prepping for my first news conference in BOS.

Warm weather, Hollywood, celebrities, beaches...and getting to play with LeBron James over Boston and its "history" is probably a no-brainer for the average person, sadly.

Plus, if you recall, Rich Paul discussed all the reasons why the Lakers are an attraction and how Anthony Davis could follow the list of legendary centers that have played for the Lakers (Chamberlain, Kareem, Shaq, etc.)

LA is where AD wanted to go and Rich Paul (who works for AD) was being the messenger.

My issue with Ainge isn't that he didn't get this deal done. My issue is he put all his eggs into the AD basket and now it backfired. The only way he can redeem himself is if he makes a couple moves (not even necessarily big moves) to keep the team competitive for next season.

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2019, 09:50:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I have no doubt Ainge did his "due diligence." 

There were also other considerations: the inputs of Stevens and Wyc, for example.

Stevens does not value bigs as much as others. Maybe he didn't value Davis. And Davis gets hurt frequently. He misses games.

Maybe the money was prohibitive in terms of re-signing him. That could be a bigger concern than actually re-signing him. Hayward's contract is an albatross right now. And with Irving coming back, it might have been excessive.

Maybe he didn't want to give up all those draft picks he's hoarded, particularly for a rental.

Some of us view a dominant big like Davis as critical for the Celtics success. I doubt Ainge/Stevens share that view.

I'm sure they weighed all these things carefully, and decided not to throw the dice.

I doubt that. I just think Rich Paul's comments killed the trade for the Celts. The OP brings up a good point though. Shouldn't Ainge have seen this coming?

I doubt Paul had any influence on Ainge. He said the same thing last trade deadline. Ainge has to explain himself on this one. And he clearly wasn't the only one making this decision. Stevens and ownership were also involved.

That guy up in Toronto must be laughing. He ignored the media, traded for Leonard, and now is smelling like a rose.

Again, if AD was open to a long-term extension in Boston, then everyone (Ainge, Stevens, ownership) would've been on board. However, he wanted to be a Laker instead.

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2019, 09:51:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rich Paul.

???

Plus, if you recall, Rich Paul discussed all the reasons why the Lakers are an attraction and how Anthony Davis could follow the list of legendary centers that have played for the Lakers (Chamberlain, Kareem, Shaq, etc.)

LA is where AD wanted to go and Rich Paul (who works for AD) was being the messenger.

My issue with Ainge isn't that he didn't get this deal done. My issue is he put all his eggs into the AD basket and now it backfired. The only way he can redeem himself is if he makes a couple moves (not even necessarily big moves) to keep the team competitive for next season.
I find it funny that the greatest center players in Laker team history are all guys they needed to trade for.

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2019, 10:00:45 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Rich Paul.

???

Who put all their eggs in the AD “basket”?
I have never heard/read anyone in the C’s organization say it’s AD or bust.
I’ve heard a lot of fans say we’re busted now that AD is gone...
 Come on people, who in their right mind would trade either (or both) of the J’s for a one year window?

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2019, 03:02:38 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Ogaju, you're forgetting what else had changed for Ainge in that time. Brown and Tatum have developed beyond our expectations. Along with Kyrie not turning out to be that great a fit it's enough to add uncertainty.

The trade wasn't as obvious a win as it once was and therefore the parameters change. It got to the stage where if Davis wasn't able to fully commit it wasn't worth the trade.

Also none of that makes the other rejected trades like George or Butler worth it. The only one I imagine Ainge regrets is Leonard but let's be clear that he was coming off a major injury and was saying he wasn't going to sign wherever he got traded.

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2019, 05:00:59 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
When you hoard your assets for one player and one player alone do you have to at least know that the player will not totally reject your advances. There has to be some intelligence that does not violate the tampering rules otherwise it is ridiculous to place your franchises fortunes on hold for a player that may not share your interest. Why did he wait years for a player that was never coming.
Honestly, was Boston even capable of outbidding that Laker offer?  It's obscene. 

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2019, 05:30:17 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
His job is to put a winner on the floor. If he doesn't do that, he's not doing his job and needs to go.

The rebuild started in 2012 when we traded KG and Pierce. Seven. Years. Ago. We don't have a winner now, we won't have a winner for the forseeable future.

How long does he get a Carte blanche for winning that one championship?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:37:05 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2019, 05:48:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
When you hoard your assets for one player and one player alone do you have to at least know that the player will not totally reject your advances. There has to be some intelligence that does not violate the tampering rules otherwise it is ridiculous to place your franchises fortunes on hold for a player that may not share your interest. Why did he wait years for a player that was never coming.
Honestly, was Boston even capable of outbidding that Laker offer?  It's obscene.
Yes, but it would've made no sense as we'd be left with pretty much Horford and AD, assuming that Kyrie bolts anyways.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2019, 05:50:29 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
His job is to put a winner on the floor. If he doesn't do that, he's not doing his job and needs to go.

The rebuild started in 2012 when we traded KG and Pierce. Seven. Years. Ago. We don't have a winner now, we won't have a winner for the forseeable future.

2013, which makes it six. Not great by any means though. He should get a few more years to wait for Brown/Tatum to develop imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2019, 05:57:24 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

2013, which makes it six. Not great by any means though. He should get a few more years to wait for Brown/Tatum to develop imo.

So, even with the most optimistic view of what's going on, it's "not great"?

Well, fingers crossed then, I guess, because otherwise "not great" will quickly turn into "abysmal". Let's hope Brown and Tatum will reach that best case scenario and turn into world-beaters.

Your word in God's ear.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2019, 07:46:30 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
If we know one thing about Danny Ainge, it's that he does his due diligence.

So at some point there must have been mutual interest by AD, right? I mean why go all in like Danny did (or did  he) without knowing that there was a shared interest?

Should there be some regulation about conflict of interest involved in Klutch Agency and LeBron James teams.

The league will be better off when Lebron is out of it. Having a player and his buddy dictate where players play is a joke.

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I find it funny that the greatest center players in Laker team history are all guys they needed to trade for.

They always have bought their teams and used Hollywood as  a draw.   Trouble is Cali ain't what it used to be...

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2019, 10:49:13 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Due diligence!!!! apparently other teams practice this or how else does Horford know where he is going?