Author Topic: On the positive side, can't wait to see a Brown/Smart starting backcourt.  (Read 6589 times)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Calling it: people are sleeping on Hayward. I think he’ll be terrific coming back next year. I’m more concerned about the logjam at wing. I don’t think any of JB/JT/GH are long enough to play the 4 for long stretches (altho talented enough to close a game).

We need a big that is more reliable than Baynes. Capela has been floated but not worth the price of Horford. So it sounds like our best option is MLE. Who’s available? Is Deandre available? (Idk)
Dedmon would be the ideal big for us with the MLE.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I worry about the lack of quickness, driving ability, creative ball-handing and creative passing ability with those two together in the backcourt.

I see a lot of contested shots in Boston's future. On both ends of the court.

you are kinda right, but we do have great passers in hayward and horford

Horford is great (a great aid to Smart) but there is still too much pressure on Smart. Smart is going to be taking a lot of bad shots off the dribble if he doesn't get more ball-handling help on the perimeter.

Hayward is the answer (if he improves that is). He gives Boston that secondary ball-handler and playmaker on the wing.

But that creates a new problem = the defense and rebounding suffers with Jaylen, Tatum, Hayward and Horford all out there together. Horford is getting older and needs more help on the boards and on interior defense. Hayward and Tatum have enough size to play PF but are lacking in physicality and rebounding. It puts too much pressure on Horford.

There is still a fit a problem with Hayward, Tatum and Jaylen.

Looking back I was hoping we would sign Blake Griffin instead of Hayward.  I thought a Griffin Horford frontcourt would be a very pairing.

Blake Griffin would be awesome for this team.

Good trade target for near future. Detroit are struggling and could blow things up in the near future. Blake at his age & salary likely would not cost much to acquire. He could be get-able. Not now but soon.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Putting Jaylen, a player who has proven himself a more than capable starter and a top team performer in the playoffs on the bench for Hayward is an incredibly shorthanded move.

If you are concerned about Smarts playmaking abilty then get a new pg. If you insist on starting the lesser player over Brown because he is so darn special of a player 2 years ago before he broke his ankle off, then trade Brown for a proper center.

Having 3 wings on the team and a pathetic frontcourt seems illogical. Break up the plethora of wings and get a bigman.

I understand this assessment, but the trading value of Hayward and Brown is very low right now.

If you want to trade Hayward you need to take back bad contracts or even give up assets to get rid of him. In fact if the Celtics would take on another horrible contract like Batum, Hardaway, Dieng, Wiggins or Parsons for Hayward I doubt that would earn us many assets. I think it's best to continue Hayward as a 6th man, with Irving (and hopefully Rozier and Morris) gone there'll be enough shots and minutes available. After a couple of months we can reaccess what we do with Hayward.

Also after that horrible injury I think we should give Hayward some slack for last season.

Putting Brown on the market would be a bad decision i.m.o. Sure he needs to get paid soon, but I still think he has All Star potential and what big with All Star potential can we get for him?

John Collins, Siakam, Markkanen, Gordon, Bagley, Jackson Jr., Turner, Sabonis, Carter Jr., Allen, Ayton?

Maybe Gordon, Bagley, Turner, Sabonis or Carter of that group could be available?

Turner or Sabonis would make some sense for both teams. If you could combine their defensive and offensive qualities you'd have the perfect center. But you have to choose between an excellent defensive center, that has trouble rebounding, limited scoring option and a very efficient post up man that can finish, pass, rebound, while also being one of the worst defenders in the NBA.

I'd stick with Brown.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If Smart is our starting PG, we are in big trouble
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
If Smart is our starting PG, we are in big trouble.

If that's true, than we should trade him right away. He's our 3rd best paid player.
He should be one of our best and most reliable players.
If not, he doesn't warrant that contract.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Smart is our starting PG, we are in big trouble

If Rozier is re-signed, you don't need to worry because he will be our starting PG. If you look at the last two years, when Irving has sat, it is always Rozier that gets the start. I understand this logic sounds flawed as Smart was already starting, but if Brad was so sure about Smart's PG skills, he would have started the better player (Brown) in Irving's place, not Rozier.