Author Topic: 1 Year Hayward Stopgap: Will Barton  (Read 2373 times)

1 Year Hayward Stopgap: Will Barton
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
https://youtu.be/_AmebDNIN-w

As I look out on my topics feed today there's been a lot of talk about bringing in guys like Avery, Vucevic, Noel which IMO points us back to our old direction. Well I think there's a guy out there that can be had for cheap, has some of the same traits as Hayward, and won't compromise the future once Gordon's ready to get back: Will Barton.

6'6 scoring, slashing, swingman with long arms and a capable passing instinct, Will Barton has carved out a nice career for himself despite being drafted 40th overall by Portland. Barton is in the final year of his contract on a team loaded with depth at his position and having declined Nuggets extension offers so that he can become unrestricted in 2018. If Denver decides he's no longer in their long term plans we could be a great situation for him to showcase himself to potential suitors next year.

Assuming we get the injured player exemption I believe we could give up a small asset and absorb him into our cap. Love how the youth movement has looked so far but still think we could use another proven veteran scorer and don't think there'd be a much better option than Will Barton.

Re: 1 Year Hayward Stopgap: Will Barton
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
I agree that Barton is a good choice for our disabled player exception. My only worry is that our depth for bigs is kind of shallow. Horford-Morris-Baynes-Tatum seems thin, especially since I think Yabu and Theis need more time to develop.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
What would be the point of giving up an asset to bring him in for a single season?  He's not going to get us into the ECF let alone past the Cavs to the finals. 

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Like Barton but we need some inside help
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 02:24:57 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
I hear you guys on the inside help but we had the same need for that when Hayward was healthy. Clearly management was fine with our frontcourt depth and Barton addresses our proven scoring option need.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Looks like someone who might help us, but what are you willing to give up to get him for a year?

What's the cap situation? Suppose we bring Barton in and he plays very well. Is it an option to go over the cap to sign him? Same question if we bring in a big to compete with Baynes.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Renting a nobody like will Barton will not win us a championship. its not going to work and giving up assets for him would be so shortsighted

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Like Barton but we need some inside help
maybe, maybe not. the celtics this season are 6th in the nba in rebounding. they are rebounding 7.2 rebounds per game better than last season.

but also let's face it, it is only 3 games. so hard to draw any real conclusions.

so, my point is that this statement above may be more an artifact of a habit developed last year than a realistic indictment of this year's team. too early to make such a call. maybe after 20 games we will have better information

but back to the thread, i doubt anyone picked up will get many minutes during the season. i prefer ainge keep the open space and see if someone becomes available later who is better.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
How about Ersan Ilyasova? Atlanta is going nowhere, he is in the last year of his $6 million contract.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Will Barton isn’t going to be cheap to acquire because the Nuggets are going to ask for a non-20+ 1st or a comparable player (Rozier or Smart); nor is he going to be cheap to acquire because he’s going to command $15M+ per year regardless of the cap situation.

He’s a young player that has already had 6th man of the year caliber seasons so he would be worth it to the team that needs a wing players, but this team doesn’t. The only way he is worth it is if you’re sold on Rozier and out of the Smart business

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Will Barton isn’t going to be cheap to acquire because the Nuggets are going to ask for a non-20+ 1st or a comparable player (Rozier or Smart); nor is he going to be cheap to acquire because he’s going to command $15M+ per year regardless of the cap situation.

He’s a young player that has already had 6th man of the year caliber seasons so he would be worth it to the team that needs a wing players, but this team doesn’t. The only way he is worth it is if you’re sold on Rozier and out of the Smart business

Now this is where I disagree, it's the classic case of not trading for the player but trading for his current situation. This isn't Will Barton perennial 6th man of the year candidate, it's a 1 season rental  of a guy who has likely priced himself out of his current team long term.

Again I'm not suggesting we re-sign him. Just use him until Hayward ready to come back. Certainly not suggesting we give up Smart or Rozier for him. Maybe just one of our many future picks so we have some more ammo going into the playoffs. I'm not looking for banner 18 but another Eastern Conference Finals appearance would be something to shoot for.

For all those worried about the price, keep in mind this was the team that gave up a quality 1st to move Jusuf Nurkic for a half year of Mason Plumlee. They are strapped worse than we are with a roster crunch that need's all the time for afford for their young talent.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I like will Barton and he would definitely make us better while Hayward is gone.

Our exception + the worse of the Celtics or Clippers pick in 2019?