Author Topic: It's Christmas time  (Read 2947 times)

It's Christmas time
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
A great interview with Dionte Christmas about his chance with the Celtics.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8236651/boston-celtics-rookie-dionte-christmas-embraces-first-shot-nba

Christmas will have to earn his spot on the roster like everybody else, but should he fall short of that goal he could join the Maine Red Claws and be a mere injury away from helping the Boston team (not uncommon for the Celtics in recent seasons). But he's adopting a mindset built around the belief that he will make the final squad. As hard as he was working prior to signing his contract, the new deal has motivated him to take the step beyond making the roster and contribute once the season begins.

"This is even more motivation. Before, my motivation was just to get to this point, but now my motivation is to, first of all, just stay on the team and, second of all, just help the team out in any way possible," said Christmas, who went undrafted in 2009. "I know the history of the Boston Celtics and I know what Doc Rivers expects out of his players. My motivation is to go in there and just try my best to get some playing time and show Doc and show Danny Ainge that I can be a great asset to the team, and that I can help out more than in practice and things like that.

"That's my motivation right now. I'm just going to take it one day at a time, step-by-step. My first step is to go into camp and just play hard, just play 110 percent, like I did at summer league, and make those guys not regret their decision on giving me this contract," he said.

He really sounds like the kind of guy you should root for to make the team.

Re: It's Christmas time
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:29:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He is a guy who would give it all up for his team....no doubt.... nice to have a few guys this dedicated.  Maybe a younger healthier version of Pietrus?

If all our guys , can get healthy /and  in NBA shape even without Bradley , the Celtics will clearly be a load to deal with.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
He is a guy who would give it all up for his team....no doubt.... nice to have a few guys this dedicated.  Maybe a younger healthier version of Pietrus?
If all our guys , can get healthy /and  in NBA shape even without Bradley , the Celtics will clearly be a load to deal with.

For me, after seeing summer league, he is more like a very poor mans version of Mitch Richmond. He needs to get his jumper to be money, create a little more for teammates, and up the defensive game a good bit.

I do like the kid. Hope he becomes an asset.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 10:53:20 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Why isn't jis #12 for the 12 days of X-mas :P #50 doesn't fit... Hey Dionte ask for a # swap!

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:53:56 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

You guys are too nice.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:51:08 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87

For me, after seeing summer league, he is more like a very poor mans version of Mitch Richmond.

That's a HUUUUUUGE stretch for Christmas...  Kinda made me laugh, because Richmond was a dominating NBA scorer.  I'd be happy if he simply turned out to be a poor man's Kevin Gamble...  Gamble took a bit of time to find his NBA footing, but once he did, he got to the rim and played a nice all-around game.  If Christmas had a bit of Oscar's game, I'd be happy with that.  Mitch Richmond??  I don't think he'll ever get to a 1/10th of that level... :)

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:23:16 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122

For me, after seeing summer league, he is more like a very poor mans version of Mitch Richmond. He needs to get his jumper to be money, create a little more for teammates, and up the defensive game a good bit.

I do like the kid. Hope he becomes an asset.

but to da thread Christmas can contribute dis year IMO him nd Joseph take Quis nd Sasha's spots

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »

Offline moylana25

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Even if he does make the roster, which I sincerely hope he does, it's gonna be hard to see that breakout prowess he has as a scorer coming from the end of the bench during garbage time. In an ideal world he'll be ready to go up against the league's best but I know that won't happen for sometime.

My expectations are realistic in my opinion for Christmas to be a low cost, efficient bench scorer for the longer stretches of the NBA season. It's all about 18 but also about getting to the playoffs healthy so I hope his youth and ability can help our starters reach the end of May and June healthy.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 06:43:51 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

For me, after seeing summer league, he is more like a very poor mans version of Mitch Richmond.

That's a HUUUUUUGE stretch for Christmas...  Kinda made me laugh, because Richmond was a dominating NBA scorer.  I'd be happy if he simply turned out to be a poor man's Kevin Gamble...  Gamble took a bit of time to find his NBA footing, but once he did, he got to the rim and played a nice all-around game.  If Christmas had a bit of Oscar's game, I'd be happy with that.  Mitch Richmond??  I don't think he'll ever get to a 1/10th of that level... :)

Now you are twisting my words a bit, LOL.

I said very poor, probably should have said very, very poor?

I do see him as a big guard who can handle, doesnt mind mixing it up inside for rebounds, has a nice jumper, creates a little and plays defense. Does he get off the Celtics bench, even if he makes the opening day roster? Doubt it.

These are all qualities that many other players have had, I probably could have used a better comparison though. Hard not to like the guy after watching him play a little. I hope he gets some run in the exhibition games, I feel like he is a lot better potentially than Jamar Smith.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 12:00:32 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
this guy dominated every facet of the game in summer league. he has a good all around game. he'll contribute in games for sure.