Author Topic: Speculation: Durant will Join the Lakers next Season  (Read 4286 times)

Re: Speculation: Durant will Join the Lakers next Season
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
We ought to be concerned as Lakers' cap space in 2019-2020 is $38.2M and Durant's projecting max salary that same season will be $38.3M.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/1019175/NBA-news-Kevin-Durant-LeBron-James-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Golden-State-Warriors-gossip-rumours

Hearing this more and more. Unreal.

The NBA offseason and all these absurd stories are meant to keep you talking about the NBA all the time.  WWE style. Its all nonsense.  Watch baseball until the league comes back and ignore all of this clickbait nonsense.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 09:35:18 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Did we ever really have a chance with Durant? Or did he use us to get Golden State interested?

Now that he has a few rings he's off to La La Land to chase LeBron? Hopefully, this is BS.

If true... I wonder if he ever had enough character to even play with the Boston Celtics?   

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 10:46:50 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/1019175/NBA-news-Kevin-Durant-LeBron-James-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Golden-State-Warriors-gossip-rumours

Hearing this more and more. Unreal.

Trust me, as someone who lives in the UK, this tabloid rag is not a source to be trusted.

Also, trust me, as someone who lives in the UK, there is not a single good outlet here that covers the NBA or a good source from here.

Disregard.

Although I wouldn't be that shocked if Durant went there, I think he'll stay in GS and would be crazy to leave while they're perennial favourites to win it all.

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 02:49:46 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Did we ever really have a chance with Durant? Or did he use us to get Golden State interested?

Now that he has a few rings he's off to La La Land to chase LeBron? Hopefully, this is BS.

If true... I wonder if he ever had enough character to even play with the Boston Celtics?
He does have character.
Just because he chose differently 2 years ago, he didn't become a lesser player at that moment. He is top 30 of all time.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 03:10:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He does have character.
Just because he chose differently 2 years ago, he didn't become a lesser player at that moment. He is top 30 of all time.
If by character you mean a reprehensible one, then yeah, you’re right.

His talent doesn’t make him any less of a snake
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 03:27:21 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

He does have character.
If by character you mean a reprehensible one, then yeah, you’re right.

His talent doesn’t make him any less of a snake
I believe that the type of success KD made in his whole career doesn't come without a resilient and hard working character.
Fans diss players, even the elite ones, if they don't win the chip. LBJ and KD went to teams that give them a great chance do to so, as the didn't want that label. I don't hold it against them. IMO Kyrie, GH and Horford did the same thing, they just didn't win one - yet.

Imagine if Dirk or Hakeem didn't win one. They would be considered as good but not the best players. After they won they became a "revaluation" to the majority of the fans, when in fact they were the same players.

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 04:58:19 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Durant’s manager, Rich Kleiman, is a big Knicks fan, and has openly talked about wanting to restore the Knicks franchise to glory. Durant to the Knicks is where I’m leaning, that’s assuming they use all their assets, hold Zinger and Knox, to clear their cap.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/30/durants-expected-new-deal-gives-knicks-glimmer-of-hope/
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 06:50:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Durant’s manager, Rich Kleiman, is a big Knicks fan, and has openly talked about wanting to restore the Knicks franchise to glory

What glory their sole championship?   Knicks glory is a myth created by the NYC media, the truth is they have been roadblocked by us a whole lot more than any fake glory.

Durant also decides where he goes not his agent.   He can fire the agent at any time.

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I believe that the type of success KD made in his whole career doesn't come without a resilient and hard working character.
Fans diss players, even the elite ones, if they don't win the chip. LBJ and KD went to teams that give them a great chance do to so, as the didn't want that label. I don't hold it against them. IMO Kyrie, GH and Horford did the same thing, they just didn't win one - yet.

Imagine if Dirk or Hakeem didn't win one. They would be considered as good but not the best players. After they won they became a "revaluation" to the majority of the fans, when in fact they were the same players.

I don't think a lot of people think of Durant as a horrible person, just somebody who took the easy way out. In all of your examples, including Lebron, the team the player went to had not yet experienced much success, let alone won any recent championships. Durant didn't do much to help a 73 win championship team; they were already very successful without him. What he did do was 'ruin' the NBA for several years by bringing his all-world talents to an already elite team...just after losing to that team in embarrassing fashion in the WCF about a month before joining them.

You can't blame somebody like Durant for wanting to win championships, but you also can't celebrate him like he was part of this organic rise to glory. He deserves all of the criticism he receives - that move was the definition of weak.

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2018, 10:03:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't think a lot of people think of Durant as a horrible person, just somebody who took the easy way out. In all of your examples, including Lebron, the team the player went to had not yet experienced much success, let alone won any recent championships. Durant didn't do much to help a 73 win championship team; they were already very successful without him. What he did do was 'ruin' the NBA for several years by bringing his all-world talents to an already elite team...just after losing to that team in embarrassing fashion in the WCF about a month before joining them.

You can't blame somebody like Durant for wanting to win championships, but you also can't celebrate him like he was part of this organic rise to glory. He deserves all of the criticism he receives - that move was the definition of weak.
TP - said exactly what I was thinking but didn't get to respond
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I am not defending KD or celebrating his decision. I wanted him here. I just think that ringless greats get undeserved bash a lot of the times. This is mostly fan driven.

"Ruining the league" is and always was an overstatement. They won 2 in a row. Big deal. What the Russel's Celts did was ruining the league if such thing even exists. B2B chips is something that happened many times. Did Bad boys destroy the league? Bulls? Rockets? Bulls? Shaqobe Lakers? The league has never been better, it is not deteriorated however you look at it. GSW was also hanging b a thread down 2:3 Vs Houston some months back. "Ruining the league" is a mere clickbait material.
I also think we will win it this year and as I wrote when KD signed, it will just be sweeter to beat GSW with him at the other side.

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yep, you are right - the phrase, 'ruin the league,' is a bit of an overstatement, but you get the point. The last 4 Finals' have had the same two teams. It's not simply that an all-star chose a new FA destination; it's that due to an unprecedented rise in the cap two years ago, the best team was able to get one of the top 2-3 players in the NBA. It's especially frustrating to a team like the Cs who, due to DA's incredible cap management, would have been able to add Horford (or Durant) regardless of the spike.

Also, take into account that GSW was able to sign all of their star FAs to pre-spike long-term max contracts and it created the perfect storm of sorts. I understand it from GSW's perspective (obviously, they weren't going to say no), but they were already awesome, they didn't need - or, really, deserve - Kevin Durant.

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yep, you are right - the phrase, 'ruin the league,' is a bit of an overstatement, but you get the point. The last 4 Finals' have had the same two teams. It's not simply that an all-star chose a new FA destination; it's that due to an unprecedented rise in the cap two years ago, the best team was able to get one of the top 2-3 players in the NBA. It's especially frustrating to a team like the Cs who, due to DA's incredible cap management, would have been able to add Horford (or Durant) regardless of the spike.

Also, take into account that GSW was able to sign all of their star FAs to pre-spike long-term max contracts and it created the perfect storm of sorts. I understand it from GSW's perspective (obviously, they weren't going to say no), but they were already awesome, they didn't need - or, really, deserve - Kevin Durant.

This can all be summed up nicely in one word: jealousy.

Durant did nothing wrong, nothing dishonorable, and in fact should be lauded for his willingness to sacrifice money to chase after his goals. Instead, a league of jealous fans condemn him when had it been their team in the same position would be signing a totally different tune.

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't see it. KD is really involved with the Silicon Valley business community, and if I remember correctly, he's said he doesn't want to play forever. I think he's planning the next chapter post-basketball. Not saying that he's retiring in the next couple years, I just think he's content where he is, rather than chasing rings elsewhere. It's not like he's on a losing team, either.

This is my thinking as well. Part of the reason KD is so ok with taking less than the max is (along with playing for a great team that he has fun playing for) that he makes so much money off the court with his investments tied to that area.

That doesn't mean he definitely won't leave but I think it's a substantial reason that brought him there and could keep him there.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008