Author Topic: Danny Ainge: “Quit being sensitive”  (Read 5944 times)

Re: Danny Ainge: “Quit being sensitive”
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Larry Bird was often a jerk with teammates, and had that famous postgame statement after the blowout loss to the Lakers in the finals: “we played like a bunch of women tonight “. The team responded with McHale's famous clothesline of Rambis in a win. In today’s media, and PC environment, Bird would have gotten crucified for that statement.

Don't mistake being a jerk for leadership, that comment turned the series around.

Great players demand excellence from their teammates, and most often they don’t do it kindly

I agree with you 100%, but I think we lack a guy who demands excellence at this time.  That includes our present roster and our coach and I am a great CBS guy.   It starts with demanding excellence from yourself, and right now do we truly have that?   Perhaps, but if someone if doing to their team
mates I don't see the results.

Yeah this was not Ainge critiquing the players, it was Ainge taking shots at the media/fans.

I disagree, Ainge could care less about the media and the fans and what they think and guess what he did the unthinkable and traded KG and PP.   He does not loose any sleep about the fans and the media.

It was totally directed at our players, who have been sulking about playing time and afraid of stepping on each other's toes.  Ainge could care less what the media says and thinks or us.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:03:24 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2019, 11:36:15 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Not to harp on this but I keep thinking about it and it's halftime so...

How is "this guy got under my skin so I'm gonna make veiled gripes about him to the press" a more 'sensitive' reaction than "this guy got under my skin so I'm going to literally try to strangle him"? It just feels like the guys who got upset and started swinging were being waaaaaaay more sensitive than the guys who got upset and started taking vague verbal shots in interviews.

wait, who strangled who and when?

Dr J tried to choke Larry Bird because Bird was dominating him and kept telling him to retire. There's a pic of it if you scroll up a bit.

...I suppose Sprewell works too though.

Okay I thought there was an incident in today's team.

No people are contrasting "the good old days" with today's players who "are too sensitive", but the proof is somehow that the old school guys would just whale on each other when they got upset. I'm saying that seems like a much more sensitive reaction than what the modern players do.

This is an interesting take, suggesting that whooping up on someone who you have perceived to have been offended by is more 'sensitive' than simply crying about it to others.

Seems to me both are reactions rooted in some form of 'sensitivity'.  But if I had to choose a more effective option, yeah, I'm beating my enemy over the head with a stick rather than crying to my mom about it.

But those aren't the 2 responses that are being discussed. No player has cried to their mother over anything.

That we know of  ;D

Who knows if someone has said "Mommy, KG was mean to me"

Fair.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2019, 12:11:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Not to harp on this but I keep thinking about it and it's halftime so...

How is "this guy got under my skin so I'm gonna make veiled gripes about him to the press" a more 'sensitive' reaction than "this guy got under my skin so I'm going to literally try to strangle him"? It just feels like the guys who got upset and started swinging were being waaaaaaay more sensitive than the guys who got upset and started taking vague verbal shots in interviews.

wait, who strangled who and when?

Dr J tried to choke Larry Bird because Bird was dominating him and kept telling him to retire. There's a pic of it if you scroll up a bit.

...I suppose Sprewell works too though.

Okay I thought there was an incident in today's team.

No people are contrasting "the good old days" with today's players who "are too sensitive", but the proof is somehow that the old school guys would just whale on each other when they got upset. I'm saying that seems like a much more sensitive reaction than what the modern players do.

This is an interesting take, suggesting that whooping up on someone who you have perceived to have been offended by is more 'sensitive' than simply crying about it to others.

Seems to me both are reactions rooted in some form of 'sensitivity'.  But if I had to choose a more effective option, yeah, I'm beating my enemy over the head with a stick rather than crying to my mom about it.

But those aren't the 2 responses that are being discussed. No player has cried to their mother over anything.

That we know of  ;D

Who knows if someone has said "Mommy, KG was mean to me"

Fair.

Yeah, when it comes to KG, "anything's possible!"

He could easily have made another player cry to their mom. I would be willing to bet that Charlie Villanueva probably did after what KG did to him.

http://www.espn.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5759196