Author Topic: Celtics (3-1) vs Heat (2-2) Vegas SL Game 5 7/14/18  (Read 13347 times)

Re: Celtics (3-1) vs Heat (2-2) Vegas SL Game 5 7/14/18
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
He is not elite. He’s a good defender. He can’t hit threes. There will be few minutes.

Care to make a minutes prediction?

I take it you would at least agree that he’s elite at staying in front of his man and getting a hand up to contest (i.e.: quick hips and shoulders combined with anticipation), and that those are the most important skills for a defender. If not then we don’t need to waste time getting into the finer points.

You may remember after a game with Phoenix this past season that Brad remarked on his defense, saying something like he was on his way to being an elite defender, “and I’m not sure he isn’t there already.”
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 04:09:54 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Looking forward to seeing how Hassan Martin plays in this one. A solid defensive effort would be great  to watch and maybe get him a camp invite or G league contract offer from Maine.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 06:21:40 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Williams and Bird out. Seems like Rob is out until preseason

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Before today’s game every time they announced Robert Williams as being out for the game I was annoyed but after hearing he’s out again tonight now I’m more worried. If this artery condition wasn’t such a big deal then there’s absolutely no way a bruised knee would keep him out over a week. I’m starting to think that this knee condition is more serious than they are making it out to be.

We can’t have a player that if he simply bumps knees with another player misses 4 games and counting, that’s way too brittle for my liking. At first I was excited when we picked Robert Williams but now I’m just worried and annoyed at the whole situation.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 06:27:00 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Before today’s game every time they announced Robert Williams as being out for the game I was annoyed but after hearing he’s out again tonight now I’m more worried. If this artery condition wasn’t such a big deal then there’s absolutely no way a bruised knee would keep him out over a week. I’m starting to think that this knee condition is more serious than they are making it out to be.

We can’t have a player that if he simply bumps knees with another player misses 4 games and counting, that’s way too brittle for my liking. At first I was excited when we picked Robert Williams but now I’m just worried and annoyed at the whole situation.

Meh it's tendinitis in SL. They won't play him in meaningless games unless he's 100% and why should they

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Understood but this is just speculation.  It was a high risk-high reward type pick and we have to be patient.

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Understood but this is just speculation.  It was a high risk-high reward type pick and we have to be patient.

Most of the top guys are shut down at this point. He might not be playing even if he was healthy

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 06:32:40 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard

Meh it's tendinitis in SL. They won't play him in meaningless games unless he's 100% and why should they

In my opinion if he’s ready to play then you play him. I don’t care if it’s Summer League or the playoffs. If someone is 100% then you play them. Robert has said himself that he played through this injury throughout his entire college career so I’m not sure what we are being so careful for. The fans want to see him play and for a lot of us fans it’s the only reason we would want to watch the game. I’d rather have them just say he’s out till the preseason if that’s actually the case then get everyone’s hopes up for each game by saying he might play.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 06:33:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Respectfully, I think you’re overreacting a bit. Is his arterial condition even related to why he’s out? My understanding is that he’s out to simple tendinitis in his knee that he was dealing with before the draft, not something related to the arterial condition.

Regardless, they’re going to play it safe because it’s just summer league.

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard

Respectfully, I think you’re overreacting a bit. Is his arterial condition even related to why he’s out? My understanding is that he’s out to simple tendinitis in his knee that he was dealing with before the draft, not something related to the arterial condition.

You’re entitled to that opinion and I probably am overreacting. He’s just the only reason I wanted to watch Summer League and they keep saying he might play and I feel like it’s just a lie at this point and that they are going to keep him out till at least the preseason which is fine, just wished they’d come out and say that instead of giving us the run around.

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 06:42:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

You’re entitled to that opinion and I probably am overreacting. He’s just the only reason I wanted to watch Summer League and they keep saying he might play and I feel like it’s just a lie at this point and that they are going to keep him out till at least the preseason which is fine, just wished they’d come out and say that instead of giving us the run around.

Oh, I’m right there with you. I still watch the games, but I have to admit that’s it not nearly as exciting without our new prospect out there.

Selfishly I was hoping Tatum or Brown would be allowed to play summer league just to have some more exciting prospects out there  :P

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 06:53:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
In other Cs news

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
about 10 minutes ago

Could be the last #Celtics game for G Kadeem Allen. According to an NBA source, #Celtics will release Allen from his two-way contract and add another player on a two-way deal next week.

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
Nce littrel 7-0 run there.  I have admit that Uthoff looks good.  I wasn’t so impressed in the 1st couple of games.

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Nce littrel 7-0 run there.  I have admit that Uthoff looks good.  I wasn’t so impressed in the 1st couple of games.

With good reason.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 06:58:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
In other Cs news

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
about 10 minutes ago

Could be the last #Celtics game for G Kadeem Allen. According to an NBA source, #Celtics will release Allen from his two-way contract and add another player on a two-way deal next week.
Aw sorry to hear, I liked Allen. Wonder who they like better?