Author Topic: when do you know a player is a Celtic?  (Read 2059 times)

when do you know a player is a Celtic?
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:17:49 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
is there  any such thing anymore, or are they all just rentals?

Re: when do you know a player is a Celtic?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:12:02 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I feel like today's league has shifted the focus onto players over teams, at least on the top end. They choose where they want to play, in many cases they have fans that follow them from team to team. It's very rare to have lifers in a team that bleed for the team like Dirk or Kobe. Those players lucky enough to have the ability to control their own future will move to teams and players they want to play for and with, if they're not happy with their current team. Those players who don't have that power may be happy with their current team (e.g. Smart) and want to play there for life but might get moved because the team thinks they can find someone better.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 09:17:47 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Salary cap and free agency killed team security. It was supposed to make the league more competitive but it have exact opposite effect. Just look at big markets like the Knicks and the Lakers.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 10:37:58 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
I wonder how much the younger generation respects the history of the game.  The thought crosses my mind occasionally, most recently when I watched our team get demolished by the Bucks and the fallout afterwards with certain players complaining about their roles.  You have to wonder if they really appreciate being part of an organization with a decorated history, whether it's the Celtics or Lakers.

Were Pierce and KG the last true Celtics?  (even KG is questionable due to his relatively short stay with us).  Smart embodies it, but he might be traded in the near future.

I guess they're all just rentals.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 11:19:45 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Paul, Antoine, IT, Rondo, Perk, Crowder, Bradley, KG, and even Billups were all "true celtics" by definition...and what happened to them?

All traded...and most were shat on by the fans to make them feel better about it.

Pretty arrogant thinking people are fighting each other to come here to receive that garbage Bostonians give em.

Man please...and even Terry is one but everyone on here will say he's not because of his shot selection, while jockin Kyrie for his, then say because Terry speaks his mind, is a cancer.

Half of me wants this team to get it together...the other half wants to see them lose like they did in the 90's because they deserve it.

Oh yeah, I remember Max, Parish and Tiny were too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:26:59 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 11:28:42 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
No. What made the Celtics the Celtics is long gone.  This past season was proof of that. 

It's a good organization, good ownership and has won a lot in its history but right now they're one of 30 teams - with probably slightly above average management though that gap has narrowed because more of the league has improved the way their teams are operated.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Nah, the coach instills that in the players. Doc did it because he played against it his entire career and understood it.

Brad doesn't know about it like that.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Could always look to these videos as a bedrock for being a Celtic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5nCwTLTqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ETAk4A6PE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIqQfCuVbk

Current Celtics? Kyrie Irving has certainly shown flashes...dude has become a better player during his time here...he has TRIED...

Smart...Big Al...GH with his unselfishness...JB and Tatum showing flashes....Morris....love Baynes and the role he plays for us.

Rozier - yes ROZIER - especially last year.

I feel that by June some of these players may NOT be with us but the ones left will be good enough to build on.

The foundation is THERE...just gotta build on it.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We are like Vulcans ,

we bleed green

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 12:34:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I know a player is a Celtic when that player embraces the team, commits to the team by his actions. You know the player is a Celtics when there is no doubt in your mind that when that if that player is treated well by the organization he will not leave the team. That player may be dealt away in a trade, but that trade will either sadden him or he will do it for the better of the team.

Going by the above definition IT was the or is the ultimate Celtics. He loved the organization and played his heart out for the team. Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, Late Dennis Johnson, Paul Pierce, KG, Perkins, Bill Walton, to name recent ones were all the true embodiment  and fit the definition.

I look at this team so far, and I see perhaps Horford and Smart. It is tougher to define the lesser players that to a large extent do not control their own destinies, but for those that do, it is easy to see who is and who is not a Celtic.

It could be one of those things that cannot be easily defined, but you know it when you see it. While it may not be easy to tell when a player is a Celtics, it may be easier to tell when one is NOT.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Could always look to these videos as a bedrock for being a Celtic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5nCwTLTqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ETAk4A6PE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIqQfCuVbk

Current Celtics? Kyrie Irving has certainly shown flashes...dude has become a better player during his time here...he has TRIED...

Smart...Big Al...GH with his unselfishness...JB and Tatum showing flashes....Morris....love Baynes and the role he plays for us.

Rozier - yes ROZIER - especially last year.

I feel that by June some of these players may NOT be with us but the ones left will be good enough to build on.

The foundation is THERE...just gotta build on it.

Great Videos, Green!!

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
Paul, Antoine, IT, Rondo, Perk, Crowder, Bradley, KG, and even Billups were all "true celtics" by definition...and what happened to them?

All traded...and most were shat on by the fans to make them feel better about it.

Pretty arrogant thinking people are fighting each other to come here to receive that garbage Bostonians give em.

Man please...and even Terry is one but everyone on here will say he's not because of his shot selection, while jockin Kyrie for his, then say because Terry speaks his mind, is a cancer.

Half of me wants this team to get it together...the other half wants to see them lose like they did in the 90's because they deserve it.

Oh yeah, I remember Max, Parish and Tiny were too.

Chauncey Billups was traded 51 games into his rookie season.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 01:39:10 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
In the end, it's all about the banner counts over franchise figures. So everyone is a rental.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
In the end, it's all about the banner counts over franchise figures. So everyone is a rental.

I disagree...

Kobe was not a rental..

Pierce was not a rent

IT was not a rental

LBJ was not a rental with the CAVs

The other Isiah Thomas was not a rental.

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 05:00:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Salary cap and free agency killed team security. It was supposed to make the league more competitive but it have exact opposite effect. Just look at big markets like the Knicks and the Lakers.

One has sucked for most of the decade and the other for most of the century so not sure what the argument is here.

It's true that the NBA has never had great parity but it's also true that it has more in the modern era than it did in the past. 6 teams have rings this decade and a 7th will have a chance next week. That's compared to 5 in the 00s, 4 in the 90s and 80s, and 2 in the 60s. The 70s with 8 champions had more title parity but it's widely regarded as a low point of the league. The league is plenty competitive lately, largely because rosters are more flexible and less stable.