Author Topic: Rumor: C's will be after Carroll this summer  (Read 9134 times)

Re: Rumor: C's will be after Carroll this summer
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
lol... let's pause and imagine a world where adding the 5th best Hawk to a perpetually mediocre 32-45 win squad suddenly vaults it into championship contention.   Can you even fathom it? 

As if the missing piece between borderline lotto team and contender... was adding a second Jae Crowder to split minutes with Jae Crowder.

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
lol... let's pause and imagine a world where adding the 5th best Hawk to a perpetually mediocre 32-45 win squad suddenly vaults it into championship contention.   Can you even fathom it? 

As if the missing piece between borderline lotto team to contender... was adding a second Jae Crowder to split minutes with Jae Crowder.

That's a huge range you got going on there. Not exactly a strong stance.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 08:15:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

As if the missing piece between borderline lotto team to contender... was adding a second Jae Crowder to split minutes with Jae Crowder.

That's a huge range you got going on there.
13 games?   9 games below .500 vs 4 games above .500?  Seems like a fair assessment of this team at the moment.

The joke being that Carroll could vault a 40 win team to 55-65 wins. 

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah...  We're still missing our Horford, Millsap, Teague, and Korver.

I like Carroll a lot, but he's not the guy you spend big money on, even if that big money will appear to be slightly less in a couple years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 08:24:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

I like Carroll a lot, but he's not the guy you spend big money on, even if that big money will appear to be slightly less in a couple years.
So is there any non-marquee free agent that you would spend big money on?  What about Tobias Harris?

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'd be fine with adding Carroll after we get a few all-stars here.  Looks like a nice veteran role player.  I'd pay him Brandon Bass money.

You mentioned Middleton in an earlier post.  At least Middleton is 23 years old and could be on the verge of something bigger than "role player".   Carroll is 29 years old and has peaked out as a solid role player.

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 08:31:10 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
(IMO Carroll better overall than Parsons or Ariza...same ballpark though and that includes money wise).

There's a world of difference between what those two get paid, though.  Parsons makes $14.7 million, which is way more than is justified for either he or Carroll.  Ariza makes $8.6 million, which is much more reasonable.

i don't think we can find an Ariza level SF starter for 8.6 million this offseason.

I guess in my opinion we're going to have to pay either now or next year and if we truly want to improve and not tread water it's going to be expensive at either point in time...On the other hand I'm a patient fan and the slow road doesn't bother me considering my strong level of trust in DA.  It is always a little sad though when the next signing is not Durant.
Exactly right.  His $8.6m deal equates to a $12m to $13m deal this offseason. 

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 08:33:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So is there any non-marquee free agent that you would spend big money on?  What about Tobias Harris?

It depends on what "non-marquee" and "big money" mean.  If we're talking $15+ million, probably not.

If we're talking $10 million or so, my list is much more expansive.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'd be fine with adding Carroll after we get a few all-stars here.  Looks like a nice veteran role player.  I'd pay him Brandon Bass money.

You mentioned Middleton in an earlier post.  At least Middleton is 23 years old and could be on the verge of something bigger than "role player".   Carroll is 29 years old and has peaked out as a solid role player.

Middleton is not the guy I'm going after this Summer, but he's certainly an acquisition I'd be good with.

That preamble to say that there's seemingly a narrative from the Middleton detractors that seems to imply that Middleton has been playing good for half a season, one season at the most. That Carroll is the proven player.

While that's technically true, it dismisses that Middleton shot 44% from the field in his first two season in the league, and improved upon that to 46% last year. He played 17 minutes a game in his rookie campaign, and 30 minutes a game in his next two seasons, starting the great majority of them. His 3-point shooting has been consistent as well, 31%, 41%, 40%.

For comparison, it wasn't until Carroll's 4th year that he finally carved a role of significance on a team. And now he'll be 29 this Summer.

I don't want to knock Carroll, he's having some good years and his defensive contributions are good ones. But I think it's reasonable to suggest that Middleton has been consistent so far, having similar production in his first few years to those of Carroll's later years, and his defense is not a negative either.

I'm someone that thinks it's pivotal to increase our talent level this year, and will have no problem spending (when I'm quite averse at spending cap space on the wrong players), but I'm not game for paying Carroll the max or anything near it. I have no problem doing it with Middleton, particularly in the possibility that he may get even better.

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 09:03:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I don't want to knock Carroll, he's having some good years and his defensive contributions are good ones. But I think it's reasonable to suggest that Middleton has been consistent so far, having similar production in his first few years to those of Carroll's later years, and his defense is not a negative either.

Carroll has always been a very good defender, and he blossomed into his offense.

Middleton has only recently become an above-average scorer (as opposed to shooter), and his defensive ability came out of nowhere this year.  He was not just below-average on defense last year, but was one of the very worst defenders in the NBA.

Was that good defense an example of Middleton "getting it", is it because he's in Jason Kidd's system, or is it contract year hustle?

I have no idea.  The risk isn't worth it to me.  I don't buy the "the contract will be tradeable" argument.  I bet people were saying that about Mark Blount, too.

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 09:26:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It depends on what "non-marquee" and "big money" mean.  If we're talking $15+ million, probably not.

Are there any free agents who are unlikely to be an All-Star at least once in the next five years that you would give $15+ million to?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Are there any free agents who are unlikely to be an All-Star at least once in the next five years that you would give $15+ million to?

Greg Monroe.

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I'd rather bet on Jae Crowder turning into Demarre Carroll than get actal Demarre Carroll.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 09:35:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Carroll has always been a very good defender, and he blossomed into his offense.

Middleton has only recently become an above-average scorer (as opposed to shooter), and his defensive ability came out of nowhere this year.  He was not just below-average on defense last year, but was one of the very worst defenders in the NBA.

Was that good defense an example of Middleton "getting it", is it because he's in Jason Kidd's system, or is it contract year hustle?

I have no idea.  The risk isn't worth it to me.  I don't buy the "the contract will be tradeable" argument.  I bet people were saying that about Mark Blount, too.

I know that Carroll has always been a very good defender, it doesn't detract from the point that he didn't manage to carve out a role, or at least get the opportunity (whoever you want to paint it), until four years into the league. Probably because of his offense the blossomed as you said.

Well yeah, Middleton's offense has improved. That's kind of what happens with young players that are on the upward trend.

I really don't know what you mean about scorer as opposed to shooter with Middleton. Has he taken larger role in creating offense and scoring in more varied manners last season than the previous ones? Sure. But it also remains true that his production, scoring/shooting wise, didn't alter all that much other than improving. His TS% for example has been consistent, 53%, 54%, 56%. And again, he's been starting a bunch of games and playing 30 minutes a game since his 2nd year.

Honestly, that's as consistent as it gets from a young player in the NBA. Could he fail to meet expectations going forward? Sure, that's a good possibility as well, but also a consequence being a young player.

As for his defense, I'm not enamored by it as many here, but it's solid. Not sure what you want to attribute it to, but he's a willing defender, and that's half or more than half the battle. His main problem is foot speed and a bit on pick-and-rolls in the past. What's he's improved on is using his length and long arms to help contest and recover. From what I've seen from him (and I not going to sit here and act as I've seen him the whole season), is that he's good at staying on his feet, not biting on fakes, and using his length to bother shots, which has paid dividends from what I can see. The main point is that he shouldn't be a liability on that end. And again, 23 year old should be worth the risk, particularly with the cap going up as it's going (whether you buy into it or not). And from all I've seen, Middleton is a hard worker.

As for Mark Blount, well we DID manage to trade him. Him and the rest of the package did get us Wally Szczerbiak and a 1st round pick. Wally Szczerbiak was later used in the Ray Allen trade, and that 1st round pick was used to return it to Minnesota in the Garnett trade.

Funny how things work out sometimes.

Anyways, the point of it all is that I don't agree with the dismissiveness of Middleton's track record so far. All he's shown is that he's been consistent and improving along with it... and he's been playing big minutes.

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I would not sign DeMarre Carroll for big money because he likely will not improve. As for the restricted free agents most of the good ones will get the max and are worth it. We can't be cheap and should get a good restricted free agent this offseason because this is our opportunity to do so.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio