Author Topic: Rumor: C's will be after Carroll this summer  (Read 9135 times)

Re: Rumor: C's will be after Carroll this summer
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
my thought is offensively he's maybe more consistent than Crowder and maybe better defensively as well. but imo it's only marginally, and i'm sure some will disagree. and that's not the point, the point is he's definitely not making us that much better than we are with Crowder and it's not like he's making an all star team or all defensive team any time soon. so why improve marginally? why are we even mentioning going after role players in the 1st place?

imo we can get players like this at any time, lets get that nucleus of talent 1st and then worry about the role players.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 06:33:38 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Matt Carroll?

Seriously, I don't get why Boston would be so interested in a more expensive version of Crowder. Need wing scoring, not another 3 and D/glue type.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 06:37:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Matt Carroll?

Seriously, I don't get why Boston would be so interested in a more expensive version of Crowder. Need wing scoring, not another 3 and D/glue type.

I'm actually a huge fan of Carroll's game, much in the way that I enjoy watching Crowder play; however, the Hawks had four all-stars this year and he wasn't one of them. I have a hard time paying Carroll near-max money, especially since I am already emotionally invested in Crowder.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 06:39:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Matt Carroll?

Same here. Undoubtedly, he's marginally better than Crowder, but the money difference between the two this summer won't be worth it.

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 06:39:33 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I have the same position on Carroll at $15 million as I do on Khris Middleton:  both are very good players, but don't do it.

I give Middleton a huge edge based on upside. He's 23, Carroll 28.

At the same time, Carroll is more proven.  Regardless, I don't think it's a good idea to give either a max / near-max contract.

I'm not so sure Carroll is more 'proven'. Two seasons ago he was average 6 points a game. He's always been a solid defender I guess.
Your position is to save our money for a marquee free agent which is appreciated.
I'd be happy with giving Middleton 15 million because I think he's going to get better given his age and experience, and if we are going to throw 15 million at Carroll or Middleton I'd pick Middleton all day.
There's always the risk of injury or post contract year decline but if you've seen this guy in interviews he seems like someone who's worked his butt off to get back from once being a lottery prospect who hurt his knee and went in the 2nd round, to an up and coming top 50 and potentially top 25 NBA player.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 06:41:04 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Is there anyone else thast thinks there is a possibility that teams will be in a feeding frenzy this summer and next, and that eventually that could jam them up?

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 06:46:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Is there anyone else thast thinks there is a possibility that teams will be in a feeding frenzy this summer and next, and that eventually that could jam them up?

It really benefits us - if we can't sign marquee free agents (for way too much, apparently), then we have all of our draft picks to either use or trade for solid players. We really do have a lot more options than other teams and don't need to panic like teams with only cap space.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
snore

Ditto.  In what universe would any team give Demarre Carroll $15 million a year, especially when a guy like Paul George will make $17 million next season?  Is Zeke running the Knicks again, lol ;D? That's not to say that Carroll isn't a good player, but he's already 28, and why would we want to spend so much money on him when there are younger and better, not to mention cheaper, options out there, like KJ McDaniels and Glenn Robinson III, in addition to our very own Jae Crowder?

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 07:02:34 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Would love Love or Middleton, as those two fit the system the best in my mind for Brad Stevens offense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Crowder and Carroll... we'll have some great hair at small forward.   

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 07:40:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Give him the money.  It's not just about the player's value as an individual.  It's about how he fits
a particular team.  He's perfect for the Celtics at this point in time with this system
and coach.

The Celts just finished off the season with an awesome winning percentage without the slightest
bit of rim protection/paint intimidation and an okay SF.  If we're serious about moving past the first round next year we need both an imposing center and a high quality SF.  (IMO Carroll better overall than Parsons or Ariza...same ballpark though and that includes money wise).

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 07:53:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
(IMO Carroll better overall than Parsons or Ariza...same ballpark though and that includes money wise).

There's a world of difference between what those two get paid, though.  Parsons makes $14.7 million, which is way more than is justified for either he or Carroll.  Ariza makes $8.6 million, which is much more reasonable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I doubt it.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 08:02:10 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It kinda sounds like DA has already started the fire for the smoke screens to me.  ;D

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 08:06:19 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
(IMO Carroll better overall than Parsons or Ariza...same ballpark though and that includes money wise).

There's a world of difference between what those two get paid, though.  Parsons makes $14.7 million, which is way more than is justified for either he or Carroll.  Ariza makes $8.6 million, which is much more reasonable.

i don't think we can find an Ariza level SF starter for 8.6 million this offseason.

I guess in my opinion we're going to have to pay either now or next year and if we truly want to improve and not tread water it's going to be expensive at either point in time...On the other hand I'm a patient fan and the slow road doesn't bother me considering my strong level of trust in DA.  It is always a little sad though when the next signing is not Durant.