Author Topic: C's close to signing Javale McGee (not no more!)  (Read 46428 times)

Re: C's close to signing Javale McGee
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2015, 03:36:59 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Now they can't even attract reclamation projects.

Like Evan Turner?  Or Jordan Crawford?

You're being just a tad dramatic.  Others will correct you on the specifics.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2015, 03:37:23 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Free agents do not want to come to Boston. Period. I assure you he will take this deal with a team option in a place like LA or Miami because of the weather. No one wants to be in cold Boston with record snowfalls. Maybe if the player is 37 and at the end of the road Boston would be a fit. But this is why tanking is the ONLY option.
your usual spew of nonsense.

boston has no problem attracting FAs.  Red Sox, Pats and Bruins all bear this out.  C's haven't had the $ to chase top FA's.  mid-level/cheap FA's are all they've had a shot at and they've had some fair success (Posey, House, PJ Brown, Cassell, Sheed, Mikki Moore, Shaq, Jermaine, etc..).  A lot has to do with the roster make-up and how much $ is being offered.

Uh huh. And how old were they? You decided not to read my whole post. All of those guys you mentioned with the exception of House who was overrated were at the end of their careers. Boston will never attract a superstar that's a given. Now they can't even attract reclamation projects. TANKING is the only option.

we have never had the cap space to sign a max free agent in the history of the franchise . If we gave McGee that player option , we wouldn't next year either . Danny isn't going to give up that option of signing a max player for McGee.  How can you say no one in their prime will sign here when there has never been a chance to offer a max ? 

« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2015, 03:39:23 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
This is shaping up to be a very interesting rebuilding contest.

On the one hand, Philly has gone all in on "The Plan."  They have set themselves on a path to be as bad as possible for multiple years in a row, banking on grabbing one or more franchise stars in the draft.  To do so, Hinkie has aggressively stripped the team of any player who might get in the way  of all the losing.

On the other hand, Boston is all about flexibility.  Ainge is accumulating as many assets as he can, even if it means poorer draft odds and taking up cap room.

Philly has a much clearer path forward but no fallback position if things don't work out.  Boston's future is more muddled but is better positioned to respond to changing circumstances.

Mike

I think Ainge has done a masterful job. As you say, we have far more moveable assets and flexibility to respond to changing circumstances, BUT, we are also gaining a deserved reputation of having a great culture and winning environment under an excellent head coach, who has been great at helping players develop,

Imo, with Turner, Thomas, and now McGee all here on cheap deals, along with low cost prospects like Smart, Sullinger, Olynyk, and Jerebko, we have an affordable, talented, and versatile supporting cast, and the winning culture and head coach, to attract big name free agents this summer. Of course, we also have the draft pick stock to trade for star players if we don't sign anyone.
You're overvaluing our existing talent.  Turner and McGee are reclamation projections that Philly dumped.  Jerebko is a decent 28 year old bench player.  Sully is injured, out of shape and entering his contract year.  Olynyk hasn't done much to show he's anything more than a decent bench player.  Thomas is a good scoring backup PG.  Smart looks like he's going to be a solid NBA player but he hasn't shown much star potential.  I'll add Young who is very raw but shows some potential. That is just not a treasure trove of talent.

Pants never said it was. He said they are an affordable, talented, and versatile supporting cast....Which is exactly what they are. Nobody is overvaluing the talent here. They are all decent to above average role players. Some older, some younger with potential. If we fix our starting lineup while keeping some of the guys we already have on the bench we are going to be an exciting winning team in the next couple years.

TP Pants.

Yep, PJ explained it well for me, TP PJ.  Don't discard the winning culture CBS is producing. Nobody wants to sign as a FA with a team like Philli, but I can see some top tier FAs considering Boston with our coach and supporting cast this summer.
It is hard to say CBS is producing a winning culture when we're 11 games under .500.  Personally I prefer Brown over CBS.  I don't think Boston or Philly has much chance to attract top tier free agents.  They'll both have to overpay to attract lesser free agents. 

« Reply #213 on: March 05, 2015, 03:40:58 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
 :'(
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #214 on: March 05, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Anyone know the ballpark of what the deal would've been? I wouldn't think it'd be much more than 2 million or so would it?

« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Well, seems like he's indeed the idiot I knew he was.

« Reply #216 on: March 05, 2015, 03:58:22 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Now they can't even attract reclamation projects.

Like Evan Turner?  Or Jordan Crawford?

You're being just a tad dramatic.  Others will correct you on the specifics.
I'm pretty sure we traded for Crawford.

« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2015, 03:59:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Free agents do not want to come to Boston. Period. I assure you he will take this deal with a team option in a place like LA or Miami because of the weather. No one wants to be in cold Boston with record snowfalls. Maybe if the player is 37 and at the end of the road Boston would be a fit. But this is why tanking is the ONLY option.

boston has no problem attracting FAs.  Red Sox, Pats and Bruins all bear this out.  C's haven't had the $ to chase top FA's.  mid-level/cheap FA's are all they've had a shot at and they've had some fair success (Posey, House, PJ Brown, Cassell, Sheed, Mikki Moore, Shaq, Jermaine, etc..).  A lot has to do with the roster make-up and how much $ is being offered.

Uh huh. And how old were they? You decided not to read my whole post. All of those guys you mentioned with the exception of House who was overrated were at the end of their careers. Boston will never attract a superstar that's a given. Now they can't even attract reclamation projects. TANKING is the only option.
and it seems you did not read all of slam's post. slam first responded to this, "Free agents do not want to come to Boston. Period" and showed that is not the case.

next, slam already noted that the celtics never have had the money to attract super stars in their prime.

third, your point on the weather convincing every free agent to avoid boston, well, that didn't survive long.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2015, 03:59:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't see a problem. Having a player option is absolutely in his interest, and he may get it from a better team than the Celtics. Aaron Goodwin is a pretty good agent.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2015, 04:00:41 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Anyone know the ballpark of what the deal would've been? I wouldn't think it'd be much more than 2 million or so would it?
$ wasn't the problem. Flexibility was. We weren't willing to commit to him and he wasn't willing to commit to us. I don't think we want to give him minutes unless we can make sure that if he works out, we can keep him. Otherwise, better to just play who we have.

« Reply #220 on: March 05, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I don't see a problem. Having a player option is absolutely in his interest, and he may get it from a better team than the Celtics. Aaron Goodwin is a pretty good agent.
yes, i love the celtics, but i do understand the McGee may not share this love. he has to make the best deal for himself that he can. sorry he won't come here, but life will go on.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

and it seems you did not read all of slam's post. slam first responded to this, "Free agents do not want to come to Boston. Period" and showed that is not the case.

next, slam already noted that the celtics never have had the money to attract super stars in their prime.

third, your point on the weather convincing every free agent to avoid boston, well, that didn't survive long.

on top of all that, those free agents we signed were heavily courted by other contending teams with the full MLE to spend.  Name Sheed who chose us over going to San Antonio.
Greg

« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
just sign dalembert,thabeet,o'neal or okafor if we are trying to make a playoff push. Won't have to tie up long term money

« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

His agent is BJ Armstrong, which I assume is the same one from the Bulls. I hated that guys as a player.

McGee visited the Celtics this week and had been inclined to sign there, only to have his agent, B.J. Armstrong, and Celtics general manager Danny Ainge become unable to move past that deal point on Thursday afternoon.

« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
just sign dalembert,thabeet,o'neal or okafor if we are trying to make a playoff push. Won't have to tie up long term money
Or don't sign anyone. No need. The point of McGee was his future potential.

JaVale could be back if he doesn't get a better offer.