Author Topic: 2016 NFL Season  (Read 41397 times)

Re: 2016 NFL Season
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2016, 10:48:18 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yeah, I mean the Pats always seem to pull it out (except the Seattle game which they really should have and were so close), but they haven't looked great since Brady first got back. There are still a few games left to work out the kinks, but, yeah, by Patriots standards, they look crappy.

"By Patriots standards" is a good point. This team is good enough on raw talent to pull out the win most of the time, but if it's a playoff game against a solid opponent ...

I just feel like this is one of those years when they're going to completely hit a wall against a team like Baltimore, as they've done before.

And yes, they should've beat Seattle.

Here are the question marks:

-Gostkowski's ability
-Gronkowski's and M. Bennett's health
-Branch suspension
-Defense, in general. But are they starting to put it together?

Offense. The O-Line seems okay--shaky at times, but overall pretty good thanks to Scar coming back. Brady seems to have a good connection with the WRs (Mitchell was a real draft find), and if Gronk and Bennett are relatively healthy then the TE is good, and with Dion Lewis slowly being worked back in and Blount having a career season, it is pretty hard to complain about offense.

Defense. They came up with the stop when they needed it yesterday, but have been shaky this year. I think Butler had an off day, and I think Rowe is getting better. Safety is fine. LB is fine. The real question mark is about Branch and whether he'll play.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As things stand I expect the Pats to get to the AFC Championship game and then get beat by a team with a better offense and more playmakers on defense.  Probably the Raiders or Steelers.

The Pats just don't scare anybody on defense.  I don't think they are solid enough all around to make up for their lack of playmakers -- Chris Long's strip-sack notwithstanding. 

I also worry that their running game will disappear in the playoffs given how much they've had to lean on Blount to this point.  It's hard to believe he'll hold up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2016, 01:48:05 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
As things stand I expect the Pats to get to the AFC Championship game and then get beat by a team with a better offense and more playmakers on defense.  Probably the Raiders or Steelers.

The Pats just don't scare anybody on defense.  I don't think they are solid enough all around to make up for their lack of playmakers -- Chris Long's strip-sack notwithstanding. 

I also worry that their running game will disappear in the playoffs given how much they've had to lean on Blount to this point.  It's hard to believe he'll hold up.

Please, oh please, tell me how the Raiders or the Steelers have a better offense.

Also, you think the Steelers have more playmakers on defense? The Patriots have one of the most influential playmakers on defense of the last 5 years- Malcolm Butler. I'm not saying that he's Von Miller. But, c'mon man! The Raiders and the Steelers?

I had to google Oakland's defense. They have Khalil Mack, who is a stud. I don't think they have another player that is better than the player of the same position on the Pats defense.

« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2016, 02:09:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

No team is perfect. And the Pats certainly have holes. But I think this is mostly on defense, not offense. For defense, the biggest issue is lack of turnovers. Used to be a point of pride for the Pats.

On the running game, I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Dion Lewis' return. Overall, so long as Gronk and Bennett can play, then I'm not too concerned about the offence (yes, that's a big IF).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The only team that scares me is Denver in Denver and thats looking really unlikely.

Oaklands defense isnt good enough and I think they are too young. Im not at all afraid of Pittsburgh or the AFC south. I dont really want to see Baltimore, but Id still expect us to beat them.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Im actually excited about the Pats defense. I expect them to get hot going into the playoffs.

They are still very talented on that side of the ball even without Collins and Jones.

The offense is completely reliant on health.

If enough of the O gets healthy we will be fine.

Brady Blount and Gronk MUST  be healthy. We have depth for everyone else.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2016, 02:33:02 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
The only team that scares me is Denver in Denver and thats looking really unlikely.

Oaklands defense isnt good enough and I think they are too young. Im not at all afraid of Pittsburgh or the AFC south. I dont really want to see Baltimore, but Id still expect us to beat them.

I agree with this. Denver has an average offense and a very good defense. In a tight, snowy game in Denver, they can beat the Patriots. Other than that, I'm more concerned about Seattle and Dallas.

Can the Patriots lose to any team? Yes. Are they likely to lose (at home) to any of the teams in the AFC? No.

I'll take Brady over Dak in a SB any day. Wilson is more impressive, but he put up 3 pts against TB's defense yesterday. Yikes.

« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2016, 06:39:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Gronk out until at least the Super Bowl.  Back surgery.

Soooo .... pretty much seals it for me.  Another year where the ceiling for the Pats is the AFC Championship game.

Will the Pats have home field?  The remaining games are:

- Rams
- Ravens
- @ Broncos
- Jets
- @ Dolphins

That feels like 3-2 to me, but it's December and Brady is Brady so perhaps they'll go 4-1 instead. 

12-4, that get you the #1 seed?

Next question: If the Pats are hosting the Raiders, Broncos, Steelers, or Chiefs, assuming relative health, do you feel good about that game?

What if they're on the road, instead?

I just don't have any faith in the Pats' defense, and their offense historically has a lot of trouble creating a lot of openings against quality opponents without Gronk on the field.  If an injury causes Edelman or Bennett to miss any time, even a couple quarters of a key game, the offense could totally stall out.

Oh well.  The Pats will win 11+ games again, host a playoff game again, and probably get to the AFC Championship again.  We're spoiled.

It's a bummer, though.  I love watching Gronk play.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2016, 08:12:48 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
If the D can improve and the O can stay healthy, I see no reason the Pats can't play with any team in the NFL.   This receiving core isn't Jabar Gaffney and Co., Pats have Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Mitchel, and now both White and Lewis out of the backfield.  In addition, they have Gronk, Jr in Bennett.  I think they are a top offensive team without Gronk as long as they stay healthy.

« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:56 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Soooo .... pretty much seals it for me.  Another year where the ceiling for the Pats is the AFC Championship game.

- Rams
- Ravens
- @ Broncos
- Jets
- @ Dolphins

That feels like 3-2 to me, but it's December and Brady is Brady so perhaps they'll go 4-1 instead. 

Next question: If the Pats are hosting the Raiders, Broncos, Steelers, or Chiefs, assuming relative health, do you feel good about that game?

I just don't have any faith in the Pats' defense, and their offense historically has a lot of trouble creating a lot of openings against quality opponents without Gronk on the field.  If an injury causes Edelman or Bennett to miss any time, even a couple quarters of a key game, the offense could totally stall out.

Oh well.  The Pats will win 11+ games again, host a playoff game again, and probably get to the AFC Championship again.  We're spoiled.

Well that blows. Gronk out AGAIN?! I couldn't even tell he got injured on that play.

I already had a feeling they'd be lucky to reach the AFC title game, now I'm sure they won't. Another year of Gronk's career wasted, along with another of Brady's (and he's got precious few left).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2016, 10:18:18 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

- Rams
- Ravens
- @ Broncos
- Jets
- @ Dolphins

Overreaction. Marty Bennett is a top 10 TE. Brady has a healthy offensive line and a lot of weapons at his disposal. In general, the Patriots' problem in the playoffs is generally their inability to score, not their defense.

The AFC west should beat eachother up. Only games I'm concerned about are the Broncos and Dolphins games. At 12-4, they should have the best QB and a 1 or a 2 seed. Bring on Derek Carr, Siemian, or Alex Smith in NE. Roethlisberger is better, but their defense isn't impressive.

Gronk is a huge loss. Maybe the most talented TE in history with a body that can't stay intact. He plays physically, but he fell in the draft due to lower back problems. Over 6 years later, its an issue again.

« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Oh and watch the Cowboys tonight. They don't look impressive at all. Seattle is legit, but they scored 5, yes 5, in their last football game against Tampa Bay! That means their offense scored 3 points. Atlanta can score but not a very good defense. Arizona hasn't been impressive.

Let's not run to the hills b/c of the Gronk injury. It blows, but they planned for it by signing Bennett.

« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2016, 10:26:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Pats draft needs:
TE, CB, DT, K, RB
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2016, 10:27:33 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
If we don't make the Super Bowl, it won't necessarily be because of Gronk being injured (they've already played like 4-5 games this season without him and have fared well). I have faith Bennett will continue carrying the load, Malcolm Mitchell is stepping up and now Amendola might have a bigger role as well.

THE DEFENSE THOUGH, DEAR LORD..., they make struggling QBs look like Joe Montana in his prime. I could easily see any of the AFC West Playoff Teams shredding this "swiss cheese secondary" and nonexistent pass rush in the playoffs.

Many years the Pats make the playoffs, the offense and TB12 are fine, but the defense is mediocre. It's no coincidence that the year NE had a great defense with great corners (2014)... they won a SB. Then the defense was dismantled and not adequately replaced...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2016, 10:35:32 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
If we don't make the Super Bowl, it won't necessarily be because of Gronk being injured (they've already played like 4-5 games this season without him and have fared well). I have faith Bennett will continue carrying the load, Malcolm Mitchell is stepping up and now Amendola might have a bigger role as well.

THE DEFENSE THOUGH, DEAR LORD..., they make struggling QBs look like Joe Montana in his prime. I could easily see any of the AFC West Playoff Teams shredding this "swiss cheese secondary" and nonexistent pass rush in the playoffs.

Many years the Pats make the playoffs, the offense and TB12 are fine, but the defense is mediocre. It's no coincidence that the year NE had a great defense with great corners (2014)... they won a SB. Then the defense was dismantled and not adequately replaced...

A couple memorable games:

First NYG Super Bowl: 17-14 loss
2nd: 21-17 loss
First Den AFC championship: 26-16 loss
2nd: 20-18 loss

I would say offense is the issue in these games.