Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics favorites to land Horford  (Read 8665 times)

Re: Rumor: Celtics favorites to land Horford
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You're not going to get a complete picture of Horford's value by looking simply at points and rebounds.
I'm looking at the decline. If you ignore the decline, you ain't doing it right.

As for the value... Horford is what he is, an injury-prone big with diminishing ability who will command a massive payday this summer based on past performance.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2016, 07:15:48 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
What makes you say he'd be in green already?  How could you know that?
Because if Ainge thought Horford was so great, he has ample ways to throw the bank at ATL. And he hasn't.

I really don't think it's that simple.  First of all, Ainge could've thrown whatever he wanted at the Hawks, but if the Hawks didn't want to deal Horford, he wasn't going anywhere anyway.  The Hawks weren't gonna make a deal just to make a deal, especially if they actually wanted to keep him.  Two, up until this season, the assets that Ainge has gathered really didn't look all that great.  Last year Olynyk was less than impressive, Sully was literally told to go away and lose weight, there wasn't the guarantee of the Nets pick being quite as valuable yet (and technically it still isn't), and the rest of their assets are/were considered nothing but role players.

Basically, up until this year, the Celtics assets were extremely overrated, so I wouldn't have expected the Hawks to agree to any deal anyway.  One could argue still today that the assets the Celtics have are a little overrated.  But given that the Hawks would rather not let him walk and not get anything for him, they're actually willing to listen to offers now.

And I'm not saying he has to throw the bank at ATL.  I wouldn't expect him to throw the bank.  But I would expect him to offer more than David Lee and a low first rounder.

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You're not going to get a complete picture of Horford's value by looking simply at points and rebounds.
I'm looking at the decline. If you ignore the decline, you ain't doing it right.

As for the value... Horford is what he is, an injury-prone big with diminishing ability who will command a massive payday this summer based on past performance.

I recognize the concern re: decline, but I think this is a case -- much like Kevin Love -- where it's hard to distinguish decline from change in role.  I tend to think there's probably a little bit of both going on.

Anyway, decline in points and rebounds is concerning, but Horford's impact goes beyond the box score.  Adding a versatile, experienced two-way guy like that in Brad Stevens' system could be huge.

Horford also has the kind of skillset that suggests he ought to be able to remain a valuable player well into his 30s, even if his raw box score numbers don't blow you away, much like David West or Luis Scola.

Regarding injuires, hasn't Horford been relatively healthy his whole career except for two major pectoral injuries?  I seem to recall that's what kept him out for the majority of two of the last five seasons.  I would only re-sign him if I felt, based on what the doctors told me, that the pectoral issues weren't likely to resurface in a major way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2016, 07:23:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's in Ainge's best interest to set up some tentative deals... and wait to see how stuff shakes out during the hysteria tomorrow.
That's as much in his interest as against. By waiting you always risk that  someone desperate will come around and  trump you with a godfather offer.
So be it.  Getting Horford alone isn't going to win us a title.  If someone else gets him, whatever.  We can still make a run at him in free agency.

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2016, 07:27:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
It's in Ainge's best interest to set up some tentative deals... and wait to see how stuff shakes out during the hysteria tomorrow.
That's as much in his interest as against. By waiting you always risk that  someone desperate will come around and  trump you with a godfather offer.
So be it.  Getting Horford alone isn't going to win us a title.  If someone else gets him, whatever.  We can still make a run at him in free agency.

Getting Horford (or Howard, or whoever) doesn't win the Celts a title, it's true.

But getting a guy like that could be the difference between a 5 or 6 game loss in the first round and winning a playoff series or two in April / May. 

Then, if they were to re-sign Horford / Howard this summer, fresh off a relatively impressive playoff run, that could put them in a much better position to try and attract another significant free agent, or make a disgruntled star want to get traded to Boston.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
So we haven't really heard anything legit yet, this is seeming really unlikely.  You'd think they'd have a lot to put together and there's less than a day left now

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2016, 07:57:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
What's with the debate about why Horford hasn't been traded for already? Closer to the deadline = lower the price. When the dust settles and no other team will overpay, Ainge can beat the best offer by a smidge.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2016, 08:01:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Getting Horford (or Howard, or whoever) doesn't win the Celts a title, it's true.

But getting a guy like that could be the difference between a 5 or 6 game loss in the first round and winning a playoff series or two in April / May. 

Then, if they were to re-sign Horford / Howard this summer, fresh off a relatively impressive playoff run, that could put them in a much better position to try and attract another significant free agent, or make a disgruntled star want to get traded to Boston.
Still, it's in Boston's best interest to wait and see how things shake out over the next hours.   Horford isn't our top choice.  If one of the guys above him becomes available, we don't want to miss our opportunity by going early at Horford.

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 08:02:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
So we haven't really heard anything legit yet, this is seeming really unlikely.  You'd think they'd have a lot to put together and there's less than a day left now

Patience, grasshopper.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 08:03:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Still, it's in Boston's best interest to wait and see how things shake out over the next hours.   Horford isn't our top choice.  If one of the guys above him becomes available, we don't want to miss our opportunity by going early at Horford.

I'd rather give up a lesser pick or two plus a couple guys we might not re-sign anyway (e.g. Amir / Sullinger / Jerebko  / Zeller) for half a season of Horford and a better chance to re-sign him than give up a Brooklyn pick and a few other significant pieces for Love.

But there's a good chance Atlanta is asking for Kelly Olynyk and one of the Brooklyn picks to trade Horford, which is way too much.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 08:05:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I agree with this -- within reason. Excellent chance Cleveland gets cold feet, IMO.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1485

I'd rather give up a lesser pick or two plus a couple guys we might not re-sign anyway (e.g. Amir / Sullinger / Jerebko  / Zeller) for half a season of Horford and a better chance to re-sign him than give up a Brooklyn pick and a few other significant pieces for Love.

But there's a good chance Atlanta is asking for Kelly Olynyk and one of the Brooklyn picks to trade Horford, which is way too much.

If they want the Nets pick + a significant player from our roster  for Horford I would say no thanks...

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2016, 08:26:45 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I recognize the concern re: decline, but I think this is a case -- much like Kevin Love -- where it's hard to distinguish decline from change in role.  I tend to think there's probably a little bit of both going on.

Anyway, decline in points and rebounds is concerning, but Horford's impact goes beyond the box score.  Adding a versatile, experienced two-way guy like that in Brad Stevens' system could be huge.

Horford also has the kind of skillset that suggests he ought to be able to remain a valuable player well into his 30s, even if his raw box score numbers don't blow you away, much like David West or Luis Scola.

Regarding injuires, hasn't Horford been relatively healthy his whole career except for two major pectoral injuries?  I seem to recall that's what kept him out for the majority of two of the last five seasons.  I would only re-sign him if I felt, based on what the doctors told me, that the pectoral issues weren't likely to resurface in a major way.

I acknowledge Kozlodev's point about injuries and decline in stats.  I also acknoeldge your argument about change in role.  I think the reality is somewhere in the middle.

Looking at Horford's usage rate, it has dropped reasonably significantly over the past two years (from 24.7% to 22.2% to 21%) which pretty safely explains his drop in scoring.

It doesn't explain his significant drop in FG% over that stretch, but that can be explained (at least this year) by the fact that he has increase his three point attempts by about 600% (from 0.5 per game to 3 per game).  That's naturally going to bring down your FG% overall, so that's fair.

If you look at his shooting percentages from everywhere else on the floor (including in the paint and from midrange) they are pretty much up where they have always been, so I'm confidently convinced that his offensive talent hasn't dropped off significantly due to decline in skill/talent.

However, one thing that does concern me is the drop in Free Throw Rate.  Horford's career FTR is 22.7% which is pretty medicre by any standards, and that's about where it was three years ago when his usage rate was at it's peak. Last year his FTR dropped to 14.6%, and this year it dropped again to 12.8%...and they are shockingly bad numbers for a big man who is quite skilled at scoring in the paint. 

You'd think more three point attempts might explain the reduced FTR but it doesn't, because last year he only attempted 0.5 3PA per game and his 14.6% FTR was (by far) a career low.  It suggests he's becoming less explosive and/or aggressive in taking it to the basket. 

This doesn't concern me in a huge way because Horford it's been years since Horford was competent at drawing fouls, and he's efficient enough everywhere else to make it a non-concern, but it does suggest that there might be some physical decline taking place forcing him to play the game a little more soft.

The drop in rebounds concerns me a bit more.  Usage rate shouldn't really affect his rebounding, so seeing his rebounding drop from 9.9 REB/36 to 9.2 REB/36 to 8/4 REB/36 to 7.8 REB/36 over the past four seasons concerns me a bit. 

Horford also is not a quality rim protector. He's not a terrible one, either - he's about average to be honest. 

Rebounding, getting to the line and protecting the basket are three things we don't do that well overall, and the fact that Horford doesn't help (or in two cases, actually hurts) us in those areas does concern me a bit.

It basically means that we MUST find ourselves a quality rebounding and rim protector to put next to him, which in turn limits what guys we can play him alongside.  Amir Johnson should fit well, but that's about it. 

Still I am content enough starting with Horford for now, and then looking for that second guy later.  At the very least Horford is a good locker room guy with a veteran presence who will help us.  I'm not convinced that he's worth a max deal (especially under the rising cap) and I don't think that he's a game changer on his own - but he's a solid vet who could make an impact for us this year, and for another 3 or 4 years after that probably.

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I would prefer Horford over Love in general, to be honest, even if the cost was the same.

I just think this team really needs a post presence up front in order to draw the defense in and create space for our shooters, and I don't think Love (who is pretty much 100% perimeter bound the last three years) really helps us there.

Plus Horford is a good guy who would fit the team culture, and who seems to be liked on all his rosters.  Love on the other hand...lets just say that his personality is somewhat of a question mark.

Out of the three bigs we are reportedly chasing, this is basically how I feel about them:

Horford
Personality fit: Perfect
Game fit: Above average

Howard
Personality fit: Poor
Game fit: Perfect

Love
Personality fit: Poor
Game fit: Average