Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 131553 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #405 on: February 20, 2024, 07:58:09 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 981
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If Tillman can't hit free throws, he is unplayable in crunch time.

« Reply #406 on: February 20, 2024, 08:02:22 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993

We didn’t get him to play those minutes, so it’s okay.

« Reply #407 on: February 20, 2024, 08:25:09 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 708
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I just want him to play. He's been unplayable since the trade deadline.

« Reply #408 on: February 20, 2024, 09:58:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 981
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

If that's true, then the team is still short at least one frontcourt player. KP and Horford are essentially platooning the center spot.

« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2024, 10:41:04 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

If that's true, then the team is still short at least one frontcourt player. KP and Horford are essentially platooning the center spot.

How do you mean?  How many frontcourt players are supposed to play in crunch time?  Our crunch time players are 5 of the top 6, and include Porzingis, Horford, and Tatum.  We don’t need another PF/C for crunch time.

« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2024, 10:47:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Speaking during an alternate broadcast of the All-Star Game, Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green said he believes Tatum's success early in his career has robbed him of some recognition.

"I don't think JT will win his first MVP until he wins his first championship," Green said. "He's almost being punished for having so much success as a team early in his career. Now it's almost like you get on this clock that no one talks about, but you're on this clock. He's lost in the Finals, he's lost in the Eastern Conference Finals, it's like they don't respect him quite like they should. I think it's unfair, because he's been having MVP type years."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2024, 10:21:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
While others saw a group that had been knocking on the championship door and was ready to do so again, Stevens saw danger in stagnation. “I think we’re always evaluating how we can get better, because I think if you’re not trying to get better, you’re probably going to get caught,” he tells Heavy of the thinking behind the acquisitions of Kristaps Porzingis and Jrue Holiday. “And, you know, we weren’t where we wanted to be anyways as far as a Finals or championship team. So getting caught is just something that I just think you always have to be alert to. 12 hours ago – via Heavy.com

“I took a lot from Danny,” he says now. “Danny’s an amazing person, and the thing that I probably took more from him than anything else is that he didn’t always agree with everything I did — in fact, he probably looked at some of the stuff I was doing as, ‘No, that probably won’t work.’ But he always allowed me to do my job, and he always was really supportive. 12 hours ago – via Heavy.com

Reading between the lines, does that quote apply to his approach with Joe, as well?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2024, 10:23:51 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
While others saw a group that had been knocking on the championship door and was ready to do so again, Stevens saw danger in stagnation. “I think we’re always evaluating how we can get better, because I think if you’re not trying to get better, you’re probably going to get caught,” he tells Heavy of the thinking behind the acquisitions of Kristaps Porzingis and Jrue Holiday. “And, you know, we weren’t where we wanted to be anyways as far as a Finals or championship team. So getting caught is just something that I just think you always have to be alert to. 12 hours ago – via Heavy.com

“I took a lot from Danny,” he says now. “Danny’s an amazing person, and the thing that I probably took more from him than anything else is that he didn’t always agree with everything I did — in fact, he probably looked at some of the stuff I was doing as, ‘No, that probably won’t work.’ But he always allowed me to do my job, and he always was really supportive. 12 hours ago – via Heavy.com

Reading between the lines, does that quote apply to his approach with Joe, as well?

If the Porzingis trade had gone down with Brogdon and no medical issues scaring off the Clippers, I think Smart + Timelord are still here instead of Holiday.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2024, 10:52:31 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC

If the Porzingis trade had gone down with Brogdon and no medical issues scaring off the Clippers, I think Smart + Timelord are still here instead of Holiday.

What a blessing that ended up being. I want to thank the Clippers

« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2024, 11:38:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm probably in the minority but I would have kept Smart + Timelord in that case. But with Brogdon + Timelord, while still a bit hefty I understood it a lot more.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #415 on: February 22, 2024, 11:56:42 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887

I don't think Roy is referencing the trades.  I think what he is trying to get at is if Stevens is questioning some of the coaching decisions or approaches by Mazzulla but just letting him coach, like Ainge did for him.

« Reply #416 on: February 22, 2024, 12:10:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm probably in the minority but I would have kept Smart + Timelord in that case. But with Brogdon + Timelord, while still a bit hefty I understood it a lot more.

I can see why a fan, or even management, would have preferred Smart + Timelord + 2029 #1 over Jrue (and the additional second rounders + Walsh we got for dealing the first rounder we got for Smart) at the time of the trade.  In hindsight, though, it would have been disastrous to hold on to those two.  They've played a combined 26 games this year.  I'm also not sure how Marcus would have done being the fifth option on offense.

« Reply #417 on: February 22, 2024, 12:24:27 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I can see why a fan, or even management, would have preferred Smart + Timelord + 2029 #1 over Jrue (and the additional second rounders + Walsh we got for dealing the first rounder we got for Smart) at the time of the trade.  In hindsight, though, it would have been disastrous to hold on to those two.  They've played a combined 26 games this year.  I'm also not sure how Marcus would have done being the fifth option on offense.

Marcus got hurt on a freak injury to his finger, however.  It’s not like it was a reinjury of something he’s had problems with, like TimeLord’s knees.  It’s unlikely in the alternate universe where he remains a Celtic that he’s out for months with a dislocated finger.  TL I agree with you, and the C’s were right to move him before he got more hurt, unfortunately.

« Reply #418 on: February 22, 2024, 01:00:06 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887

Marcus got hurt on a freak injury to his finger, however.  It’s not like it was a reinjury of something he’s had problems with, like TimeLord’s knees.  It’s unlikely in the alternate universe where he remains a Celtic that he’s out for months with a dislocated finger.  TL I agree with you, and the C’s were right to move him before he got more hurt, unfortunately.

I don't see how you can second guess the Smart for Porzingis trade (in which we also got 2 firsts).  I am a big Marcus Smart fan but that trade was a no brainer  The Holiday trade is the one that can be debated.  I am happy with the trade, but we gave up a solid first round pick plus Brogdon and Williams.  Yes, Williams has been injured and his durability was always a question, but how much difference really is there between Brogdon and Holiday?  It is an upgrade, no doubt, but we would still be really good if we had Brodgon and you have to consider what we may have been able to get with the GSW pick and Williams in a trade (it isn't just Brogdon vs. Holiday).

« Reply #419 on: February 22, 2024, 01:06:07 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I don't see how you can second guess the Smart for Porzingis trade (in which we also got 2 firsts).  I am a big Marcus Smart fan but that trade was a no brainer  The Holiday trade is the one that can be debated.  I am happy with the trade, but we gave up a solid first round pick plus Brogdon and Williams.  Yes, Williams has been injured and his durability was always a question, but how much difference really is there between Brogdon and Holiday?  It is an upgrade, no doubt, but we would still be really good if we had Brodgon and you have to consider what we may have been able to get with the GSW pick and Williams in a trade (it isn't just Brogdon vs. Holiday).

Brogdan gets hurt every season. Always. Plus he was not a happy camper. He wanted to start in Boston. So it was better to move on.