Author Topic: Ray Rice  (Read 69803 times)

Re: Ray Rice
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So let me guess, you're going to boycott the league?  ::)
Right because if you're not all in absolutist, you can't be worthy of more than an eye roll?

My point is, OF COURSE what Rice did was deplorable. The other sad fact is, hardly anyone REALLY cares. It's not going to change their devotion to football one freaking iota. So we can be spared all the condemnation of the league that many willingly hand over many of their hard-earned dollars to support..

For what it's worth, the only reason I pay attention to football is because I have to.  ;)

Excessive capital letters don't make things any more factual, and while I've already ceded the point that you and the NFL both make -- that many, but not all football fans are emotionally stunted mouthbreathers, and any effort in trying to make them see anything that isn't FEEEUUTBAWL!!! is probably wasted -- it doesn't invalidate the outrage.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Right because if you're not all in absolutist, you can't be worthy of more than an eye roll?

My point is, OF COURSE what Rice did was deplorable. The other sad fact is, hardly anyone REALLY cares. It's not going to change their devotion to football one freaking iota. So we can be spared all the condemnation of the league that many willingly hand over many of their hard-earned dollars to support..
It must be nice for you to know exactly how much everyone cares. I'm sorry for the terrible burden of people talking about it when you know in their hearts that they only really care about fantasy football.

The fact that a lot of people don't care about domestic violence very much is true. But when you're crying out for people to stop talking about it you do realize that's the reaction of people who are the problem? They have no other possible thing to say but desperately change the subject.

That's what the ESPN water-carriers for the NFL are doing after all. They know where they make their money.

It's fine to condone domestic violence. I'm just pointing out it gets tiresome to hear NFL fans condemning the league for people like Rice. You know what, just stop watching!! Stop supporting the league if it really matters. The NFL is not mandatory..

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 12:42:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
So you're saying that the NFL actively promotes a culture that allows athletes to get away with these sorts of things:
It is what it is. Not to be cynical, but does anyone really believe this is a rare event in pro sports? These men make more money in a game than most of do in years, and are worshiped as Gods by much of the populace. Many people care more about fantasy football than they do about anything else. Is it surprising at all that they feel they can operate under a different code of ethics than the rest of us?

Before decrying the league for its penalty re: Rice, be honest with yourself how many times you've given an athlete on your favorite team the benefit of the doubt..

But that you don't like it when people criticize the league for helping to enable that sort of culture... because you don't like thinking about it or reading about it:

And because you don't like thinking about it no one should talk about it because you don't think it'll change anything anyway?

Am I reading this right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

It must be nice for you to know exactly how much everyone cares. I'm sorry for the terrible burden of people talking about it when you know in their hearts that they only really care about fantasy football.

The fact that a lot of people don't care about domestic violence very much is true. But when you're crying out for people to stop talking about it you do realize that's the reaction of people who are the problem? They have no other possible thing to say but desperately change the subject.

That's what the ESPN water-carriers for the NFL are doing after all. They know where they make their money.

It's fine to condone domestic violence. I'm just pointing out it gets tiresome to hear NFL fans condemning the league for people like Rice. You know what, just stop watching!! Stop supporting the league if it really matters. The NFL is not mandatory..

If you're tired of hearing it, then don't listen to it.   It's pretty easy to put blinders on subjects like this.

I love football.  I'm going to continue to watch.  I just think that this commissioner and league office has continued to botch matter over matter and I'm not sure any botchjob has been worse than this one.   They totally seem tonedeaf & inept, even more so if they actually saw this tape back in the summer and still rendered 2 games. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
So you're saying that the NFL actively promotes a culture that allows athletes to get away with these sorts of things:
It is what it is. Not to be cynical, but does anyone really believe this is a rare event in pro sports? These men make more money in a game than most of do in years, and are worshiped as Gods by much of the populace. Many people care more about fantasy football than they do about anything else. Is it surprising at all that they feel they can operate under a different code of ethics than the rest of us?

Before decrying the league for its penalty re: Rice, be honest with yourself how many times you've given an athlete on your favorite team the benefit of the doubt..

But that you don't like reading about it because you don't like thinking about it:

?

Am I reading this right?

No, you're not. I'm saying let's stop pretending that that vasy majority of people REALLY care about it. It will be a blip on the great, unstoppable juggernaught that is the National Football League..Can we just not be hypocrites please? That's all I'm asking..

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Now who deserves the eye roll?

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not even sure who you're calling hypocrites, the nameless masses who are outraged but will still watch games? Me? D.O.S.? All I gather is that you'd rather we not talk about it.

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

People who are genuinely racist never employ, befriend, or sleep with members of that race, and people who are genuinely disgusted by an organization's decision never patronize that organization again under any circumstances.  It's science.

The NFL also made his wife out to be equally culpable -- that was obvious when they made her apologize at their presser. That's deplorable.

Wow, I hadn't heard about that.  That's messed up. 

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Given the psychology of abuse, I'd be shocked if Janay Rice didn't believe herself culpable in being assaulted. Especially given how she apologized during that cringe-worthy press conference.

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
For anyone that missed it:

Rice:
“As me and Janay wish that we could take back 30 seconds of our life, we definitely sit here today and tell you that we are better parents, we are better lovers and we’re also better friends throughout the situation.”

“I want to thank her for loving me when I was weak and building me when I was strong,”

“It was a lot of tears shed, but me and Janay can truly say that we’re in a better place,”

“I just first off want to apologize to Steve Biscotti, Ozzie Newsome and coach Harbaugh. I also want to apologize to my fans, to the kids, to everyone who’s affected by this situation that me and my wife were in. We really had the time to reflect on each other. We were blessed to work it out together.”

Janay:
“I do deeply regret the role that I played in the incident that night, But I can say that I am happy, that we continue to work through it together.”

“I love Ray and I know that he will continue to prove himself to not only you all, but the community, And I know he will gain your respect back in due time.”

Not to shock anyone, but no one REALLY believes (I like this caps lock thing) that the Rices came up with these statements without any input from the league.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJBkG_kyqxI

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
Given the psychology of abuse, I'd be shocked if Janay Rice didn't believe herself culpable in being assaulted. Especially given how she apologized during that cringe-worthy press conference.
Stockholm syndrome, basically.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Similar sort of identification mechanism, though obviously a much more deep and complicated bond.

Just scary.

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 01:15:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
For anyone that missed it:

SNIP FOR SPACE

Janay:
“I do deeply regret the role that I played in the incident that night, But I can say that I am happy, that we continue to work through it together.”

“I love Ray and I know that he will continue to prove himself to not only you all, but the community, And I know he will gain your respect back in due time.”

Not to shock anyone, but no one REALLY believes (I like this caps lock thing) that the Rices came up with these statements without any input from the league.

That's still gross but a bit different than what I was picturing.  What always kills me about that kind of "oh no, we're totally better now!" is that there's no way that was the first time he hit her, and almost no way it'll be the last.

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 01:20:51 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
Similar sort of identification mechanism, though obviously a much more deep and complicated bond.

Just scary.
Yeah, it's very scary. I have a friend in a relationship similar to Ray Rice and Janay Palmer's, which is why I hate when people call Janay a "gold digger." These relationships occur regardless of the man or woman's bank account.

My friend, we'll call her Ashley, is in a relationship with a guy, who we'll call Bob. Bob is a part-time professor at a school and makes very little money. Most of his money goes to medical bills. He's a abusive and controlling. After "falling for him," she also found out he is a level two sex offender. Yet, my friend Ashley stays with him. She has told me countless times that she feels shame because she sets a bad example for her young cousins. She tells me that she knows it's wrong and being with him is the worst thing for her. She also removed me on Facebook and stopped talking to me. When I asked why she did that, she told me, "because you're a reminder of how right you are and how wrong I am about the relationship and being unable to leave it...it's shame and embarrassment." Since then Ashley hasn't answered my texts.

Now, I bring this up because I think it's important to say it before some clown comes in and blames Janay Palmer here. Maybe she is a gold digger. Maybe she's in it for the money. So what? There's a stronger chance that she's just stuck in a horrible abusive relationship like so many other men and women are across the world. It's psychological and she's stuck, and it won't be hard to pull her out even if Rice is put away.

I also bring this up because this story should be about Janay Palmer, not Ray Rice. We constantly discuss the person who instigated the crime. Whether it's this or a school shooting, we spend more time talking about the perpetrator. We need to change that.

I would just hope that Janay, my good friend "Ashley," and any other person stuck in relationships like this find the strength to pull away. We only have one life to live and it's important to maximize it to the fullest.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Raven twitter just tweeted that they've terminated Ray Rice's contract.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team