Author Topic: Knicks (3-2) at Celtics (2-3) Game 6 5/3  (Read 77083 times)

Re: Knicks (3-2) at Celtics (2-3) Game 6 5/3
« Reply #840 on: May 03, 2013, 10:03:13 PM »

Kiorrik

Anyone able to get a post-game interview link? I'm stuck on a promo when I go to NBA.com, cuz when I click the button that goes to that site, it just reloads the promo. (idiots, they do that all the time. it's for League pass too ... which I'm logged in to. They could just check my cookie since it's the same domain, and not show the promo because I'm obviously already paying those blithering eejits)

« Reply #841 on: May 03, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Just not a fan of our guys walking off.  But I'm not going to kill them for it.

WHO CARES????????  KG AND RONDO DID IT LAST YEAR. NOW KG, JET and PAUL do it this year. im fine with it. screw the knicks.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #842 on: May 03, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
Congrats to the Knicks. A well deserved win and series victory.

Strongly disagree.

Knicks may have outplayed us, but their attitude was digraceful throughout the series.  The Knicks deserved to get knocked out in principle alone.

We'll take solace in the fact that the Knicks ain't winning anything.  Farthest they'll possibly go is the ECF.

Now the Heat on the other hand...

« Reply #843 on: May 03, 2013, 10:06:40 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
dude, the heat will fricking DESTROY THE WANNA BE KNICKS.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #844 on: May 03, 2013, 10:06:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well, we fell in the end, but showed the heart and not let the Knicks have a party in the final quarter. I'm proud of them and how they put faith in the comeback as a team.

Thank you for everything!
Yeah man seriously this was basically a best case scenario (aside from avoiding the Knicks all together)... We weren't going anywhere this year.. I'd rather go out with heart at home than get blown out in NYC in game 7 and watch that punk spike lee gloating through the entire 4th quarter.  We took away the smug Knicks party for the most part... I mean, yes they will celebrate our funeral... But at least it's not going to be televised.  Great loss!  Bring on the wiggins tank!

« Reply #845 on: May 03, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Congrats to the Knicks. A well deserved win and series victory.

Strongly disagree.

Knicks may have outplayed us, but their attitude was digraceful throughout the series.  The Knicks deserved to get knocked out in principle alone.
Yeah, "Who" is a much classier guy than I am, cuz I can't congratulate this Knick team ... they're a team of mostly selfish and classless players, (excluding Jason), who had a game six handed to them by a Celtics team that was in a major funk. Love Felton's play since UNC, but he's one of the biggest floppers in the NBA, (along with Melo), and they just have no concept of what it means to play as a team and share the ball. No congrats from me ... no way.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #846 on: May 03, 2013, 10:08:50 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
paul must be p---ed off no buddy buddy with the knicks like he did with the heat last year? hmmnnn
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #847 on: May 03, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
This game perfectly sums up this team post-Shaq.... not a contender to win anything, but they still make it entertaining and give their opponent all heck.  Proud of em.   Great 6 years.   Bring on the next era!  :)

post-Shaq ????

are you kidding me ? Shaq was just a footnote to this team. you might try post-Perkins - sure, Perk was no all-star - but he fit this team and their interior defense has not been the same since and we gave up our physical identity (advantage) and tried to be Miami, for some insane reason.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #848 on: May 03, 2013, 10:15:02 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
Best player of the series was Chandler.

He doesn't get the pub with stars like Melo and mouths like JR and Kenyon on his team, but he was quietly the reason the Knicks won.  He seemed to get his hands on every loose ball around the rim.  He was also a huge presence on offense, where his crushing screens stopped our guards dead and were the main reason nobody could guard Felton.

Tip of the hat to him; I'd love to have him on the Celtics.  Big middle finger to everybody else; I hate their demeanor and their playstyle. 

« Reply #849 on: May 03, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Just not a fan of our guys walking off.  But I'm not going to kill them for it.

i'm a huge fan of them walking off.

I have no use for the hug-a-thon - and I believe one Larry Bird has also expressed his disdain for it. you never used to see it and I love the old school attitude.

one qualifier - I don't go for the Isiah-led Pistons type exit before the game is over, but what KG and Rondo have always done is just fine with me.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #850 on: May 03, 2013, 10:25:31 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Can't lose 2 home games in the playoffs. Sorry.

« Reply #851 on: May 03, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
So proud of this team.  TPs for everyone who didn't throw in the towel in the early 4th, cause the team sure didn't.  Sad to see it end, but it's a fitting end, I think. 

« Reply #852 on: May 04, 2013, 12:21:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Don't know if this was mentioned but odd moment near the end of the game. PP subbed out, nobody really noticed. KG subbed out, long standing ovation. Think that could have gone differently.

« Reply #853 on: May 04, 2013, 02:08:51 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This game perfectly sums up this team post-Shaq.... not a contender to win anything, but they still make it entertaining and give their opponent all heck.  Proud of em.   Great 6 years.   Bring on the next era!  :)

post-Shaq ????

are you kidding me ? Shaq was just a footnote to this team. you might try post-Perkins - sure, Perk was no all-star - but he fit this team and their interior defense has not been the same since and we gave up our physical identity (advantage) and tried to be Miami, for some insane reason.
Tenn-smoothie, it wasn't a typo.  I've been following this team obsessively since Pitino was hired. 

We were Officially championship contenders from July 31, 2007 (the day we traded for KG) - April 3, 2011 (Shaq's final game) ...

Garnett played his first game on November 2, 2007... so in total we were legitimate threats for a title for about 3 and a half years.  It's been over two years since we were a serious title threat.  I'm not stuttering here.  It's a fact.  Granted, we performed admirably over the past 2 years, but we basically just running off residual fumes of once great men.  Our tank has been flashing "empty" since April 3, 2011. 

Little recent Celtic history for you to catch you up to speed... 

We won a 66 games and a title in 2007-09.  One of the greatest teams of all time... a defensively dominant team built around the defensive talents of Kevin Garnett (a top 5 talent) with valiant support from post-prime Stars Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.  This was supposed to be the "prep year" where everyone learned each others' tendencies... the championship was a bit surprising.

In 2008-09, KG was limited to 57 games, but the talents of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen (along with emerging young star Rajon Rondo) were enough to push us to 62 wins... The defensive culture was embedded...unfortunately, without KG, we were 2nd round losers to Dwight Howard and his band of misfits.  Make no mistake, 2008-09 was the year we were supposed to dominate... we were clear league favorites and had KG been healthy, I could have seen this team making a run at 70 wins.  No joke.  But without KG, this team struggled to even knock off Chicago in the first round (a team that we dominated in the regular season the next year with KG back)

2009-10, a year older.  KG back from injury, but his mobility was not what it once was.  His worst statistical season as a Celtic (look it up)... rumblings that he was washed up.  Limited to 69 games (71 for Pierce)...  Still...  too much talent to hold down.  The starting 5 of Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG and Perk win 50 games and make it all the way to game 7 of the Finals.  Without Perk in Game 7, they fall to Los Angeles Lakers.  Boston had absolutely no match for LA's size.  We lost the game on the boards.

2010-11 ... KG's mobility is back now a year removed from surgery.  Perk misses the first part of the season due to his injury... we replace him with an elderly Shaq.   The lineup of Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG and Shaq dominate early... going 23-4 to start the season.  The best our offense EVER looked in the KG era.  Boston consistently drops 100+ during that stretch.    Perk returns the last week of January 2011... which coincides with Shaq going down in early February with an injury.   Perk plays a total of 17 games and gets shipped out to Oklahoma for Jeff Green.

Here's the thing... at the time of the Perk trade, you either fell into two camps.  #1 - "We just destroyed our chances of winning a championship" or... #2 - "Presuming Shaq returns from the injury, we're a contender... otherwise, we just destroyed our chances of winning a championship".   I personally fell into camp #2.  We were outstanding with Shaq.  All signs pointed to him coming back.  And I FIRMLY believe that (no matter how much talent Jeff Green has), there is simply no way that Danny Ainge pulls the trigger on that Perk trade unless he was absolutely convinced that Shaq was going to be ready for the playoffs.  NO WAY does he make that trade without total confidence that Shaq will be fine.

And so... for the next two months, I kept this fact in mind.  Relax, Shaq will be back.  Relax, Shaq will be back.  Relax, Shaq will be back.   

April 3, 2011 (Boston at home vs Detroit):  Shaq finally returns.  Here we go baby.  It's ONN!!!  Look out world, Boston's about to make their final stand... Shaq will get a good couple weeks to prep for the playoffs... and then good luck to any sucker who faces Boston in the postseason.  Haha!... I knew Danny wasn't crazy!  We got Shaq back... everyone's healthy... we got our size, baby.  Suck it, Lakers!  ...   

... Shaq plays a total of 5 minutes... goes 3-3 with 6 points and 1 rebound.  He looked good.  He looked spry out there.  Then he hobbled off the court taking our title hopes with him. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQZJ2pOKc7w&t=20s

He briefly returned to play a few minutes during the Miami series, but he clearly wasn't anywhere near healthy.  We haven't been the same team since.  We haven't had the size.  We were so woefully under sized that we moved KG to center and started Brandon Bass (who was brought in to fill Glen Davis' role as a 3rd string big, but Nenad Krstik staying in Europe during the lockout and our failed attempt to sign David West suddenly thrusted him into the lineup).  We won 56 games that season, and got trounced by Miami in the second round.

2011-12, we weren't contenders.  We won 39 games in a lockout shortened season (equivalent of 48 wins).  We weren't really relevant.  A 5th seed team.  The contenders were Miami, Chicago, San Antonio and Oklahoma.   We lucked into playing a HOrford-less Atlanta in round 1 (he gave us a scare when he came back late in the series and beat us despite 4 months of rust) ... and an 8th seed Philly team in round 2.  Then, Celtic pride and residual aura of greatness helped us give Miami a series in the ECF ... until Bosh returned from injury and LeBron flipped a switch.

2012-13, Still not contenders.  Barely over .500 team (41 wins).  KG and Pierce a year older.  KG no longer a top 5 player.  Pierce no longer an all-star.  Still no size.  Lost our 3rd best player in Rajon Rondo.  Out in the 1st round.

We stopped being contenders when Shaq went out.  But we still had heart... we still fought to the bitter end... despite not having a real chance at glory, we make life tough for whoever we faced... and tonight was  PERFECT example of that post-Shaq era.   If KG retires, next year we'll more than likely fail to miss the playoffs... 3.5 years of being a contender... an extended victory lap that lasted 2.5 years.... and now, a long-overdo rebuild. 

Step 1:  Lay the groundwork with a proper tanking.   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:15:33 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #854 on: May 04, 2013, 02:18:34 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
What it says in my sig. And for those that have sigs/avatars turned off:  It says CELTIC PRIDE.

Thanks for the ride, fellas.