Author Topic: When Marcus Smart shoots well from deep  (Read 1480 times)

When Marcus Smart shoots well from deep
« on: November 19, 2018, 10:31:21 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
In 19 games where Marcus hits four or more 3-pointers in his pro career, the Celtics have a record of 4-15.  In each of those 19 games he not only drills a few, but also shoots a respectable percent -- over 40% from beyond the arc in each of them.

I've been mentally noting this for a while and decided to dig into the stats and find out.  Crazy stat, huh?

Tried googling it to see if this was already out there, but haven't seen it.  Just this article and a similar one about a year ago.  http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21589757/nba-more-bricks-better-marcus-smart-celtics

I can't get over how odd this is.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: When Marcus Smart shoots well from deep
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 10:38:08 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
In 19 games where Marcus hits four or more 3-pointers in his pro career, the Celtics have a record of 4-15.  In each of those 19 games he not only drills a few, but also shoots a respectable percent -- over 40% from beyond the arc in each of them.

I've been mentally noting this for a while and decided to dig into the stats and find out.  Crazy stat, huh?

Tried googling it to see if this was already out there, but haven't seen it.  Just this article and a similar one about a year ago.  http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21589757/nba-more-bricks-better-marcus-smart-celtics

Marcus is a bad shooter, but he is also streaky. When he hits a few to start a game he often takes more and because he is streaky can make them. As for why we lose, its because the very fact that Marcus Smart is getting threes up means that whatever we were doing offensively probably wasn't working all that well. If it was, Smart isn't taking a lot of threes.   

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

Marcus is a bad shooter, but he is also streaky. When he hits a few to start a game he often takes more and because he is streaky can make them. As for why we lose, its because the very fact that Marcus Smart is getting threes up means that whatever we were doing offensively probably wasn't working all that well. If it was, Smart isn't taking a lot of threes.

It's not about taking a lot of threes though -- its specifically about making them. 

For example, consider last season all the games in which Smart attempted 7 of more 3s.  Check out his shooting percentages in those games and the result:

6/12 - loss
2/11 - win
4/10 - loss
5/9 - loss
6/9 - loss
3/8 - loss
3/7 loss
1/7 - win
1/7 - win
0/7 - win

We won whenever he shot poorly and lost every time he shot respectable or well.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Eh this all could just be random chance and an overreaction I suppose.  I just found it odd.   Maybe something to check back on down the road though.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 12:17:32 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It is pretty interesting.  Smart's shot selection seems much better this year so lets see if this stat holds up.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:41:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The good shooting gives him irrational confidence down the stretch maybe? I'd be curious how Smart shoots in the 1st half verse the 2nd half in the sample size you provided. Very interesting. TP
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 05:04:42 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
He seems to step up and knock down shots when the rest of the team is playing badly.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 06:41:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

It just coincidence.

He seems to step up and knock down shots when the rest of the team is playing badly.

Agree, TP

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 01:49:08 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I think the only thing we can really interpret from this data is something that we all already know: that Marcus Smart's contribution to winning has little to do with his scoring, and especially not his sharpshooting.  I know that's very broad, but that is a conclusion I can draw from the data.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

my thoughts too, fueling comebacks.