Author Topic: So I'll say it... The new scrolling advertisement is awful  (Read 24177 times)

So I'll say it... The new scrolling advertisement is awful
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:47:35 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Cant thank you enough for all the work you've done to preserve the Forums Byennie but I have to draw a line in the sand for my favorite website.

I don't know how it is on desktop, but the new scrolling advertisement on mobile is awful and there is no way I can deal with this as a daily user on Celticsstrong.

Scrolling through posts and I see a massive advertisement taking up around 4 post spaces before I get back to the conversation. It takes you out of the experience. Its maddening and absolutely unacceptable for this website.

Are scrolling posts really the only way that we can preserve these forums?  I don't know about the rest of you but If so I might be out.

Re: So I'll say it... The new scrolling advertisement is awful
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:52:38 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Cant thank you enough for all the work you've done to preserve the Forums Byennie but I have to draw a line in the sand for my favorite website.

I don't know how it is on desktop, but the new scrolling advertisement on mobile is awful and there is no way I can deal with this as a daily user on Celticsstrong.

Scrolling through posts and I see a massive advertisement taking up around 4 post spaces before I get back to the conversation. It takes you out of the experience. Its maddening and absolutely unacceptable for this website.

Are scrolling posts really the only way that we can preserve these forums?  I don't know about the rest of you but If so I might be out.

If these are network / display ads where we get paid for impressions, it's worth weighing out the pros and cons.  I have a feeling this is what it is.  But I agree it's not fun.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If you're talking about the annoying box at the bottom of the page that continually interrupts you...Yeah, I'm in.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'm on Android using Chrome.  I see a small ad at the bottom and one on the right side. Neither bother me or get in my way.

Is it different on an iPhone?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 11:46:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If you're talking about the annoying box at the bottom of the page that continually interrupts you...Yeah, I'm in.
agreed - not digging it.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The scrolling ad doesn't appear on phone (BlackBerry), but it does when I'm on my laptop using Google chrome.

It is wildly annoying though. I don't mind the banner ad at the top, nor do I mind the ads under the drop menu to the right, but the scrolling ad does make the site functionally worse. Every time that ad pops up I have to close it first before I can even scroll the page, and when I do it pops back up. I've stopped using the site on my laptop for now until this gets fixed. It's either that or I'm going to start using an ad blocker on this site (which I don't want to have to do - I understand the site needs ads revenue to keep going).

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Ok I just cleared out my cache and now I don't see the scrolling ad.

I'm alright with the massive ad at the top and the small banner at the bottom, but scrolling ads are invasive and unacceptable.

Imagine we're all standing in a room having a conversation and some slimy salesman keeps interrupting people with his pitch. We'd throw this person out. Sorry if I'm coming across as sanctimonious but the conversation space in a Forum is sacred, we cant have scrolling ads.

Also for what its worth it was breaking the site, sometimes I couldn't scroll through it to get to the next comment it was just overlayed over the comment.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 01:03:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Welcome to 2019.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 01:36:37 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I'm not seeing what you're describing, either on Windows 10 or android versions.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yeah my Ipad is pretty bad with those top and botton ads .  The bottom is the worst , because it moves and stays on all the time , making it hard to read maybe 60 of the page.  I cleaned out safari but , checked my blockers , nothing is helping.  It on this site.

I m a dummy with computers .  If anybody know apple Ipad and suggestions to deal with it , i would be very thankful

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
My webpage is still wide here at CS unlike the old Celtics Blog forum.

But, I don't see any ads. Maybe because I have AdPlus Blocker on my chrome.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 03:01:42 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Ok I just cleared out my cache and now I don't see the scrolling ad.

I'm alright with the massive ad at the top and the small banner at the bottom, but scrolling ads are invasive and unacceptable.

Imagine we're all standing in a room having a conversation and some slimy salesman keeps interrupting people with his pitch. We'd throw this person out. Sorry if I'm coming across as sanctimonious but the conversation space in a Forum is sacred, we cant have scrolling ads.

Also for what its worth it was breaking the site, sometimes I couldn't scroll through it to get to the next comment it was just overlayed over the comment.

Worse than that.

It's like those late night commercials where the girl lifts her shirt but some jerk has a girls gone wild ad on top of what you wanted to see.

"Come look at this site, but we're not gonna let you look at all of it."  Nobody likes a tease.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
They're absolutely killing me today. I'm having a lot of trouble getting them out of the way.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Didn’t notice the ads until I read this thread. Advertising is lost on me LOL.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 09:46:38 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Didn’t notice the ads until I read this thread. Advertising is lost on me LOL.

I don't mind the advertising, just how the scrolling ads and boxes block the links that I'm trying to click on.

Mike