Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 106741 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
FWIW, ESPN’s Kevin Pelton did an analysis today (“Insider” article) of a BOS vs. Fakers trade for AD. He slots the Cs picks as 28th for BOS, 11th for SAC (97% chance of conveying), 10th for MEM (64% chance of conveying and preferable that it does not especially given the timing of a possible AD deal), and 18th for LAC (73% chance of conveying and preferable that it does since the pick devalues greatly 2 years out.)

He says that NOP would likely want players over picks as a small market team to stay competitive and that might give an opening to the Lakers. In that  case:

“From that standpoint, Boston's own young talent might be the key in potential Davis trade negotiations rather than the Celtics' draft picks. Jaylen Brown is the kind of young player with playoff experience the Pelicans might target, while Boston agreeing to deal Jayson Tatum would presumably trump any other offer that could be made for Davis. So although the Celtics' draft picks can be useful sweeteners, they might not prove to be the core of a Davis deal."

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/25724586/can-celtics-draft-picks-top-lakers-anthony-davis-trades

it would make sense that the Pels would want talented young players over picks --> take known contributors over the crapshoot of the draft.  Tatum and Brown would be 2 players no one would be able to top, particularly the Lakers.  I wouldn't give up both unless it was absolutely necessary and it was only them with no picks included.  C's need to keep at least one or all the picks to be able to fill out the roster with cheap young talent to go with what will be 4 max-contract players.

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 03:02:29 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Grizz pick for this year looks like trouble...if they hit "protected"...do Grizz get the pick for themselves?

If so...might as well tank.

Assume Kings are the shot.

Ainge will get another athletic, slightly small point guard who can't shoot!

TP to Slam, great research!

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Grizz pick for this year looks like trouble...if they hit "protected"...do Grizz get the pick for themselves?

Thank goodness there are none that qualify in this draft, unless we somehow end up with Tre Jones. All others (Morant, Garland and Ponds) can score and can shoot. This is not a PG draft, which we likely need to draft one if Rozier is a goner. If we DO draft one then the writing is on the wall...in permanent marker.

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 10:40:09 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Tankathon has us taking Bol Bol (9) and Sekou Doumbouya (13). I seem to remember Sekou being a topic of discussion at one time but don't know much about him. Anyone have any insight?

Mike

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Would be very happy with Bol Bol but I do not see him lasting until the 9th pick. He put up some solid numbers before his injury and can even hit FT's at a decent clip. He is also a blocking machine and appears to be growing still. Is he 7'3'' now? I could see him going from 4-8. I know the foot fracture surgery is a flag for a super tall player but sometimes you take the risk with this kind of upside. I hope he does fall to us though. I like the risk/reward with this player. I also liked Bender though so I am as from far an expert as it gets. I would have taken Embiid though as well as I do like to take risks. Win some, lose some.

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 12:21:27 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Sekou was being talked about as a potential Top 10 pick at one point but he’s young, only 18 years old, and has struggled after making the jump to a better league over in France. That combined with a bunch of college players playing good ball as the season progresses has hurt his stock a little bit.

I’m a little surprised that the play of Luka Doncic hasn’t had an effect
on raising his stock at all. Most teams are usually skeptical of European players but with Doncic balling out I wonder if the perception might change a bit this year.

Personally I would take a shot on him at #13 if I’m the Celtics especially since we could have 3-4 first rounders at our disposal.

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 12:30:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Sekou was being talked about as a potential Top 10 pick at one point but he’s young, only 18 years old, and has struggled after making the jump to a better league over in France. That combined with a bunch of college players playing good ball as the season progresses has hurt his stock a little bit.

on raising his stock at all. Most teams are usually skeptical of European players but with Doncic balling out I wonder if the perception might change a bit this year.

Personally I would take a shot on him at #13 if I’m the Celtics especially since we could have 3-4 first rounders at our disposal.
are you talking about picking him as a draft-and-stash like Yabu or as someone you think would be coming right over to the NBA?

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 12:35:00 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I was very interested in Doumbouya at first, but he's really struggled against a much lower level of competition than Doncic faced.

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Tankathon has us taking Bol Bol (9) and Sekou Doumbouya (13). I seem to remember Sekou being a topic of discussion at one time but don't know much about him. Anyone have any insight?

Mike

Here's a very detailed report from thestepien. Tl/dr: he has a lot of physical talent, but it hasn't shown up in game results yet, even in the French League.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/08/30/preaseason-thoughts-sekou-doumbouya/

Here's another report, with links to more profiles.

https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/sekou-doumbouya-scouting-report

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 11:15:32 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Yes Memphis gets it this year if it’s top 8. Then top 6 protected 2020, unprotected 2021

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 09:51:55 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
it would be really sucky if we have no lottery picks this year. Of course, that assumes that Memphis is top-8, which makes next year's pick top-6 protected, so there's that.

Mike

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
it would be really sucky if we have no lottery picks this year. Of course, that assumes that Memphis is top-8, which makes next year's pick top-6 protected, so there's that.

Mike
I'm very confident that Sac's pick will be in the lottery.  at this point, I don't think it'll be as high as initially hoped for coming into this season but it'll still be in the lottery.

Memphis may be another story.

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 10:46:13 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike
I'm very confident that Sac's pick will be in the lottery.  at this point, I don't think it'll be as high as initially hoped for coming into this season but it'll still be in the lottery.

Memphis may be another story.

I'm also confident, but I've been wrong about every single flippin' thing this year. Right now, if I'm feeling confident that Sac will be in the lottery, it probably means that they'll be raising a banner next year, instead.

Mike

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:31 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Kings (20-20) def. Magic 111-95

Yeah, the Kings are way too good. Come on, Vlade, make a bad trade, will you?

They are going to start slipping by all star break I think, they are relying heavily on youth and speed, and once the wear of the season kicks in they will slow and hit a wall.
except youth and speed doesn't exactly disappear at the same rate as old and slow (at least if the conditioning is there).  If anything, their youth and speed will actually help them.  They are also a very deep team and Bagley just played his first game in like a month yesterday (so they now get him back as some reinforcements).

ever hear of Rookie wall?

The travel, the practices, the lifestyle etc all lead to youth being more susceptible to getting sluggish more so than vets.

This is what you wish for.  But their demise was being predicted since the first month of the season, and they continue to play for the 8th spot in the West.  I give them credit.

Yeah I think they're too good.  I'm not sure how they're so good, but I'd be happy with a #8-10 pick at this point.

That said, their schedule is murder starting in February.  They could end the season 8-30, or 18-20... I have no idea.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:00 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
TP to StK for reincarnating my favorite thread. Another if I remember in an hour.

While it still feels like the season just started, we're actually only a few games away from the midpoint. My, how time flies.

Hmm, so what do we have? Let's see...

My prediction: The Cs end up with four first-rounders this year.

The Clippers slow down, but manage to hang onto their playoff spot. That pick will be about #17.

Sacramento has a worse second half than first, but doesn't slip below the least of the east. Sorry, this team isn't the old Sac anymore. Pick ends up at #10.

Memphis: The potential for injuries makes me a bit nervous here, but I think that it conveys this year. Also #10. Yes, I know, I have two teams at #10. These things can happen, because this is the internet.

Celtics have a better second half than first, but the top of the east will continue to beat on the bottom of the east, and both GS & Houston will, like the cream does, rise to the top. We have #26.

Danny then trades #10 and 11 for #6, does a S&T for Terry at $14m per year and trades him, Tatum, #6, a few other picks, Baynes and Yabu to NO for AD.

He then takes #26 and trades back into the second round.

Mike

Mike

I think I want the Memphis pick to roll over.  I think it'd be more valuable next year, and if the rumors are true that Gasol wants out, it could be worth a lot more.

What if NO isn't too high on this year's draft, especially outside the top 2-5?  Draft doesn't look great.  We still have Sacto and our pick at least, but I think I'd prefer Memphis roll over.  Curious if others agree or disagree.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07