Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 106719 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kings (20-20) def. Magic 111-95

Yeah, the Kings are way too good. Come on, Vlade, make a bad trade, will you?

They are going to start slipping by all star break I think, they are relying heavily on youth and speed, and once the wear of the season kicks in they will slow and hit a wall.
except youth and speed doesn't exactly disappear at the same rate as old and slow (at least if the conditioning is there).  If anything, their youth and speed will actually help them.  They are also a very deep team and Bagley just played his first game in like a month yesterday (so they now get him back as some reinforcements).

ever hear of Rookie wall?

The travel, the practices, the lifestyle etc all lead to youth being more susceptible to getting sluggish more so than vets.

This is what you wish for.  But their demise was being predicted since the first month of the season, and they continue to play for the 8th spot in the West.  I give them credit.

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 11:36:51 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
TP to StK for reincarnating my favorite thread. Another if I remember in an hour.

While it still feels like the season just started, we're actually only a few games away from the midpoint. My, how time flies.

Hmm, so what do we have? Let's see...

My prediction: The Cs end up with four first-rounders this year.

The Clippers slow down, but manage to hang onto their playoff spot. That pick will be about #17.

Sacramento has a worse second half than first, but doesn't slip below the least of the east. Sorry, this team isn't the old Sac anymore. Pick ends up at #10.

Memphis: The potential for injuries makes me a bit nervous here, but I think that it conveys this year. Also #10. Yes, I know, I have two teams at #10. These things can happen, because this is the internet.

Celtics have a better second half than first, but the top of the east will continue to beat on the bottom of the east, and both GS & Houston will, like the cream does, rise to the top. We have #26.

Danny then trades #10 and 11 for #6, does a S&T for Terry at $14m per year and trades him, Tatum, #6, a few other picks, Baynes and Yabu to NO for AD.

He then takes #26 and trades back into the second round.

Mike

Mike

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kings (20-20) def. Magic 111-95

Yeah, the Kings are way too good. Come on, Vlade, make a bad trade, will you?

They are going to start slipping by all star break I think, they are relying heavily on youth and speed, and once the wear of the season kicks in they will slow and hit a wall.
except youth and speed doesn't exactly disappear at the same rate as old and slow (at least if the conditioning is there).  If anything, their youth and speed will actually help them.  They are also a very deep team and Bagley just played his first game in like a month yesterday (so they now get him back as some reinforcements).

ever hear of Rookie wall?

The travel, the practices, the lifestyle etc all lead to youth being more susceptible to getting sluggish more so than vets.

This is what you wish for.  But their demise was being predicted since the first month of the season, and they continue to play for the 8th spot in the West.  I give them credit.
They only have 1 "rookie" and he just missed a month so is no where near the rookie wall period yet (Giles is also a "rookie" though he was a pro last year).  Only Fox, Bogandovic, Jackson, and Mason are even 2nd year players (and Giles of course even though he is listed as a rookie) and Bogandovic has been playing pro-ball for years and Mason was a 4 year college player.  The Kings are young, but they aren't that young.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP to StK for reincarnating my favorite thread. Another if I remember in an hour.

While it still feels like the season just started, we're actually only a few games away from the midpoint. My, how time flies.

The Clippers slow down, but manage to hang onto their playoff spot. That pick will be about #17.

Sacramento has a worse second half than first, but doesn't slip below the least of the east. Sorry, this team isn't the old Sac anymore. Pick ends up at #10.

Memphis: The potential for injuries makes me a bit nervous here, but I think that it conveys this year. Also #10. Yes, I know, I have two teams at #10. These things can happen, because this is the internet.

Celtics have a better second half than first, but the top of the east will continue to beat on the bottom of the east, and both GS & Houston will, like the cream does, rise to the top. We have #26.

Danny then trades #10 and 11 for #6, does a S&T for Terry at $14m per year and trades him, Tatum, #6, a few other picks, Baynes and Yabu to NO for AD.

Mike

Mike

TP back at you Mef -- I always love an appreciative audience   ;D

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 01:12:42 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Mike

Mike

I like it. The draft position pretty much tracks my expectations.

And I love the idea of getting Davis without losing Brown or Smart on top of Tatum. I think that team would be ridiculous.

I wonder a little about the TR sign and trade. I think there are a lot of conditions on sign-and-trade deals, which makes them harder to put together and is why we rarely see them anymore. Not a CBA expert, but I'd be interested if anybody knew. Don't know how it works, especially, in the context of an RFA and how that would affect the timing.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Mike

Mike

I like it. The draft position pretty much tracks my expectations.

And I love the idea of getting Davis without losing Brown or Smart on top of Tatum. I think that team would be ridiculous.

I wonder a little about the TR sign and trade. I think there are a lot of conditions on sign-and-trade deals, which makes them harder to put together and is why we rarely see them anymore. Not a CBA expert, but I'd be interested if anybody knew. Don't know how it works, especially, in the context of an RFA and how that would affect the timing.

My understanding, and it could be very wrong, is that in the case of a S&T with Rozier, 1/2 of the salary would count toward outgoing salary (although the whole 14m would be a hit on the NO income statement).

Oh, word of warning: I'm very, very bad with predictions. If I said it, it probably won't happen. ;)

Mike

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 01:33:50 PM »

Offline CelticsCeltics

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
^ I think getting Davis depends heavily on where our picks end up.  With some lottery luck the Sac Pick could be pretty good.  I’m hoping they end up with the 8th worst record which would give it a 26.3% chance to be too 4.  In my daydreams the pick ends up #2 overall.

That alone is a better piece than probably anything that will be on the table for Davis assuming he gives a list of destinations.  Let’s assume he says either the Lakers or the Celtics.  Do the Lakers have a single piece more valuable than the #2 pick?  No, they do not.

#2 and #9 is a good starting point in a deal for Davis.  Again this is assuming The Pelicans have no choice but to trade him to maybe 3 or 4 possible teams.

#2, #9, the Clippers pick in the late teens, the Celtics pick in the mid 20s has to be pretty enticing. If Gordon regains some value then he can be sent to a third team for even more picks and young prospects.

The Suns for example could be itching to compete next season. 

Anthony Davis to Boston.

#2, #9, Clippers pick, Celtics pick, Celtics pick in 2020, Suns  pick in 2020, Mikal Bridges, Robert Williams, whoever we get for Rozier this trade deadline,  Phoenix salary filler to New Orleans.

Gordon Hayward to Phoenix.

Ant Davis
Al Horford
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Kyrie Irving

Marcus Smart
Marcus Morris (hopefully)
Aron Baynes
Semi Ojeleye
And a shooter
Off  the bench

That’s a championship dynasty.

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 01:41:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
^ I think getting Davis depends heavily on where our picks end up.  With some lottery luck the Sac Pick could be pretty good.  I’m hoping they end up with the 8th worst record which would give it a 26.3% chance to be too 4.  In my daydreams the pick ends up #2 overall.

That alone is a better piece than probably anything that will be on the table for Davis assuming he gives a list of destinations.  Let’s assume he says either the Lakers or the Celtics.  Do the Lakers have a single piece more valuable than the #2 pick?  No, they do not.

#2 and #9 is a good starting point in a deal for Davis.  Again this is assuming The Pelicans have no choice but to trade him to maybe 3 or 4 possible teams.

#2, #9, the Clippers pick in the late teens, the Celtics pick in the mid 20s has to be pretty enticing. If Gordon regains some value then he can be sent to a third team for even more picks and young prospects.

The Suns for example could be itching to compete next season. 

Anthony Davis to Boston.

#2, #9, Clippers pick, Celtics pick, Celtics pick in 2020, Suns  pick in 2020, Mikal Bridges, Robert Williams, whoever we get for Rozier this trade deadline,  Phoenix salary filler to New Orleans.

Gordon Hayward to Phoenix.

Ant Davis
Al Horford
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Kyrie Irving

Marcus Smart
Marcus Morris (hopefully)
Aron Baynes
Semi Ojeleye
And a shooter
Off  the bench

That’s a championship dynasty.
Hayward isn't getting traded

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
there is such a small chance in getting Davis imo.

like less than 5%

just got that nagging feeling.

but, having 2 top 10 picks and one potentially a top 5 pick is a great consolation prize, especially when team can still deal for a center upgrade.

KP, Vucevic, Cousins, Whiteside, Drummond, Nurkic, Turner, Gasol could all arguable become available.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:55:34 PM by Silky »

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Mike

Mike

Are teams able to package players with a player who is sign and traded? For some reason I thought a sign and trade could only involved picks, and their contracts couldn't be aggregated with other players. It is kind of the reason I have always assumed we were unable to count Rozier as a trade chip once we failed to extend him. If we can trade him along with other players and assets, good lord we can offer a package.
#JKJB

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 01:56:18 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Mike

Mike

Are teams able to package players with a player who is sign and traded? For some reason I thought a sign and trade could only involved picks, and their contracts couldn't be aggregated with other players. It is kind of the reason I have always assumed we were unable to count Rozier as a trade chip once we failed to extend him. If we can trade him along with other players and assets, good lord we can offer a package.

we can.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
update for this week

Standings as of 1/10/19

Memphis pick tied #9 --  (tied with Dallas) (protected top 8 ) 
                   Games Behind    Current Wins   Games Left   Last 10
Orlando                   2                    17                    41               3-7
Detroit                     1                   17                     43               2-8
Memphis                ---                   19                     41               3-7
Dallas                     ---                   19                     41               4-6
Charlotte               +0.5                 19                    42                4-6
New Orleans          +0.5                 20                    40               5-5

--> Memphis is sinking in the standings - almost to the point where they'd be in the range to retain their pick (not accounting for the changes via the lottery).  Dallas figures to create some space during the coming week so Memphis figures to have #9 to themselves or even lower if Detroit gets a little better this week.

Kings pick -- #12 -- (tied with Minnesota)  (protected if top 1 - becomes Sixer pick if #1)
                       Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Charlotte                 0.5                    19                     42                  4-6
New Orleans            0.5                    20                     40                  5-5
Miami                       ---                     19                      43                  6-4
Sacramento             ---                    20                      41                  4-6
Minnesota                ---                     20                      41                  6-4
Brooklyn                  ---                      21                     39                   6-4

-> dropping further into the lottery.  even though they have a better record than 2 teams in the East that are currently in the playoff picture, Kings pick jumps up 2 spots (due to tie with Minny).    The Eastern teams are in the playoffs and don't figure to be passed by the Eastern bottom feeders so they're unlikely to pass Sac in the lottery standings.  Minny and NO are better teams so I would hope to see Sac drop below them in the standings in the next couple of weeks.

Clipper Pick #22   -- (tied with Portland) (protected  top 14) 
San Antonio               1                      24                     40                  7-3
Houston                     1                      23                     42                 7-3
Portland                     ---                    25                     40                  7-3
LA Clippers               ---                     24                     42                 7-3
Boston                      +1                     25                     42                  7-3
OKC                           +1                    25                     42                  5-5

-->  Clips climbed a couple of spots.  Still not seeing how they're doing this well this far into the season.  Keep waiting for that drop in the standings to the edge of the playoffs in the West but they're not cooperating with us in that regard.

Boston Pick #23 (tied with OKC)
Portland                   1                     25                    40               7-3
LA Clippers               1                     24                    42               7-3
Boston                   ---                      25                    42               7-3
OKC                        ---                      25                    42               5-5
Philadelphia            +1                     27                    40                7-3

-->C's are closing the gap with some of the teams above them in the standings.  Caught OKC and within 1.5 games of catching/passing Philly, Indiana and GSW.    being ahead of GSW by the end of the year may be lofty dreams but catching Philly and Indy is very achievable in the next couple of weeks. 

Second Rounders:
Boston (protected 31-55)

Second rounders
Boston - #53

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I would be happy with the Sac pick being around 8 with still a decent chance to land in the top 4 in the lottery.  There seems to be several injured players projected to go into the 5 to 10 range with unknowns about them.  There might not be much of a difference picking 3 through 10 so maybe we get a little lucky.

I want the Grizzlies pick to carry over.

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 01:17:10 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Sacto: Likely wins 32-35 games and finishes 3rd-4th worst in the West, and we should get a top 10 pick.

Grizz: They'll finish 2nd worst in the West.  If they're worse than a few East lottery teams, the pick should roll over.

LAC: They got off to a great start, so they could make the playoffs as a #7 or #8 seed... or drop and finish 9-11th.

My Hope:

-Memphis pick lands top 8 and rolls over.
-Sacto pick finishes top 8-10 after they finish 3rd-4th worst in the West.
-LAC make the playoffs as an #8 seed and return a top 18 pick. 

If this happens, we've got fantastic assets to offer the Pels in addition to Tatum or Brown, for Anthony Davis. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
FWIW, ESPN’s Kevin Pelton did an analysis today (“Insider” article) of a BOS vs. Fakers trade for AD. He slots the Cs picks as 28th for BOS, 11th for SAC (97% chance of conveying), 10th for MEM (64% chance of conveying and preferable that it does not especially given the timing of a possible AD deal), and 18th for LAC (73% chance of conveying and preferable that it does since the pick devalues greatly 2 years out.)

He says that NOP would likely want players over picks as a small market team to stay competitive and that might give an opening to the Lakers. In that  case:

“From that standpoint, Boston's own young talent might be the key in potential Davis trade negotiations rather than the Celtics' draft picks. Jaylen Brown is the kind of young player with playoff experience the Pelicans might target, while Boston agreeing to deal Jayson Tatum would presumably trump any other offer that could be made for Davis. So although the Celtics' draft picks can be useful sweeteners, they might not prove to be the core of a Davis deal."

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/25724586/can-celtics-draft-picks-top-lakers-anthony-davis-trades