Author Topic: Anyone else sick of FIBA?  (Read 31266 times)

Re: Anyone else sick of FIBA?
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Shiny Helmet I never said anything about "owning the sport" I'll leave that up to you and your plans of world domination. What I did say is that we should have the final say on all rules and regulations of the game of basketball since it was created here. Just like how soccer is unified under one rule set now. (rocket science, I know)

ok hooligan......which country has the final say of the rules of soccer?   let me tell u, no one!  bc a country doesnt have
ownership or a final say over a sport!  NASA is calling

and btw, dont so "we americans" bc you dont speak for the collective country, only urself.

I was addressing Koz and ACF before so that's why I kept stating we as Americans. Yes I'm aware I dont speak for all. I can only address one person at a time sir. And your wrong friend. Wikipedia states that soccer or "football" as I've been so adamantly reminded started in the mid 19th century in Great
Britain. And that in fact the laws of the game published in England in 1863 by the Football Association is still the basis for the way the game is played to this day. So no wonder why they are so fanatical over there about the game and our widely bur not universally considered the best fans. Point is they created the game. They created the rules. The rest of the world followed. Why should that not be the exact same case in Basketball sir? I do look forward to that explanation. Still haven't addressed it yet I'm afraid. Plenty of good insults flung my way by you tho. Congrats. Shame on my arrogant American pa-toot for wondering why the same rules should apply for this game as well. Just like soccer.

sorry i dont sit by a computer awaiting responses and that i actually leave the site to do something productive.

and ur wrong.  while the game was created in england, FIFA is responsible for regulating the international game, not england.  FIFA is the governing body along with IFAB.  ur argument is flawed bc if FIFA decides to make a rule change, they can do so, regardless of what the country of england and its people say. 

the NBA isnt a governing body other than within its own league, which is why rules are different in the NBA, NCAA, high school (all within the USA btw), and FIBA.

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Quote from: Witch-King link=topic=41635.msg842071#msg842071

I doubt FIBA will be able to force the NBA to change its own rules regarding goaltending, especially considering that the NBA has existed longer than FIBA (first world championship was in 1950) and also the fact that foreign players can gain a ton of exposure by competing in the FIBA tournaments. In fact, many of the best international sides competing in FIBA (USA included  ;)) feature players who have played for, or seek to eventually play for an NBA franchise. It wouldn't do much for the growth of professional basketball if the most popular basketball league and the governing body behind international basketball couldn't come to some sort of a reasonable compromise as far as the rules and regulations of basketball are concerned.

FIBA is actually an association (Federation of International Basketball Association) started earlier than the NBA although I'm assuming you are right the world championships are later. But FIBA is much like FIFA where they kind of govern the rules of the game. That's actually part of their job description. lol
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Is this thread really gonna turn into some liberal rant and a bash on me because yes I am Patriotic. And yes, I do beleive since we invented the game we should make the rules. Hate on me for being a proud American all you want Koz it's not gonna change my pride or my opinion. I stated that the fact is the world plays under one collective rule set for soccer or "football" as you guys so a[dang]antly say. So why isn't it one collective rule set for basketball. And since the game was invented here we should make the rules.. Just my opinion man. No need to take cheap shots
To be honest, I have little respect for anyone who links they are superior for being part of a group, whether it is based on citizenship, religion, or favorite team.
Rules should win out based on their merit, not based on national fiat. There have been many rule changes over the years, the 3 point line being one of the more note-worthy. There is nothing wrong with rule changes.

I also do not understand why nation should be the trump card. Why not state? Shouldn't all rule changes have to come form Massachusetts, this this is the state where basketball was created?

Ok let me get this straight.. It's arrogant, ignorant, and eliteist of me to wonder aloud why we as Americans shouldn't feel completely just and within our right to make the rules of basketball that the entire world should follow? Am I missing something here? If we came up with the game shouldn't we have the final say in how it's to be played? Why then is this issue never raised with soccer? Everyone has fallen in line and excepted the basic rules in that sport. Basketball being the second most popular sport in the world, why is that not the case as well? Who's the ignorant one here again?

Mmm, if you want my honest opinion, my answer to your first question is yes, because there are people out there (me included) that actually enjoy the FIBA rules and the college rules. (And it's not like we are such a minority either I believe)
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
and hooligan.....

how can we expect international play to uphold the same rules as "us", when we cant even have consistent rules in the same sport within our country (different rules for nba, d-league, ncaa, high school, etc) ?!?!?!

if u dont like FIBA, fine, u have every right.  im not even disagreeing with some of your gripes.....but the entire way in which u presented the notion of the game belonging to "us" and we should determine the rules and whatnot is just plain wrong and juvenile.

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2010, 10:03:35 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Shiny Helmet I never said anything about "owning the sport" I'll leave that up to you and your plans of world domination. What I did say is that we should have the final say on all rules and regulations of the game of basketball since it was created here. Just like how soccer is unified under one rule set now. (rocket science, I know)

ok hooligan......which country has the final say of the rules of soccer?   let me tell u, no one!  bc a country doesnt have

and btw, dont so "we americans" bc you dont speak for the collective country, only urself.

I was addressing Koz and ACF before so that's why I kept stating we as Americans. Yes I'm aware I dont speak for all. I can only address one person at a time sir. And your wrong friend. Wikipedia states that soccer or "football" as I've been so adamantly reminded started in the mid 19th century in Great
Britain. And that in fact the laws of the game published in England in 1863 by the Football Association is still the basis for the way the game is played to this day. So no wonder why they are so fanatical over there about the game and our widely bur not universally considered the best fans. Point is they created
the game. They created the rules. The rest of the world followed. Why should that not be the exact same case in Basketball sir? I do look forward to that explanation. Still haven't addressed it yet I'm afraid. Plenty of good insults flung my way by you tho. Congrats. Shame on my arrogant American pa-toot for wondering why the same rules should apply for this game as well. Just like soccer.

sorry i dont sit by a computer awaiting responses and that i actually leave the site to do something productive.

and ur wrong.  while the game was created in england, FIFA is responsible for regulating the
international game, not england.  FIFA is the governing body along with IFAB.  ur argument is flawed bc if FIFA decides to make a rule change, they can do so, regardless of what the country of england and its people say. 

the NBA isnt a governing body other than within its own league, which is why rules are different in the NBA, NCAA, high school (all within the USA btw), and FIBA.

Firstly I'm on an itouch so I don't think it ever considers me signed out unless it's off. And yes I did check for a response from you because I was very curious. I was just going by what wikepedia said about soccer. And the main point I gathered from the article was that Great Britain invented the game. Then they created the rules. FIFA basically follows the rules the English came up with. Key word is basic or basis. As I stated before. I'm not at all saying that they have any right to change anything. But they don't need to because everyone agreed in principle to the rules already in place set by the English. Why isn't and why shouldn't it be the same for basketball? That was more my question.

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

Britain. And that in fact the laws of the game published in England in 1863 by the Football Association is still the basis for the way the game is played to this day. So no wonder why they are so fanatical over there about the game and our widely bur not universally considered the best fans. Point is they created
the game. They created the rules. The rest of the world followed. Why should that not be the exact same case in Basketball sir? I do look forward to that explanation. Still haven't addressed it yet I'm afraid. Plenty of good insults flung my way by you tho. Congrats. Shame on my arrogant American pa-toot for wondering why the same rules should apply for this game as well. Just like soccer.

and ur wrong.  while the game was created in england, FIFA is responsible for regulating the
international game, not england.  FIFA is the governing body along with IFAB.  ur argument is flawed bc if FIFA decides to make a rule change, they can do so, regardless of what the country of england and its people say. 

Firstly I'm on an itouch so I don't think it ever considers me signed out unless it's off. And yes I did check for a response from you because I was very curious. I was just going by what wikepedia said about soccer. And the main point I gathered from the article was that Great Britain invented the game. Then they created the rules. FIFA basically follows the rules the English came up with. Key word is basic or basis. As I stated before. I'm not at all saying that they have any right to change anything. But they don't need to because everyone agreed in principle to the rules already in place set by the English. Why isn't and why shouldn't it be the same for basketball? That was more my question.

refer to this post:

and hooligan.....

how can we expect international play to uphold the same rules as "us", when we cant even have consistent rules in the same sport within our country (different rules for nba, d-league, ncaa, high school, etc) ?!?!?!

if u dont like FIBA, fine, u have every right.  im not even disagreeing with some of your gripes.....but the entire way in which u presented the notion of the game belonging to "us" and we should determine the rules and whatnot is just plain wrong and juvenile.

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2010, 10:08:48 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
and hooligan.....

Juvenile? Maybe. Plain wrong however? I'm not so sure. But I do see your point about all the other leagues having different rules. But I still say by in large we should be the final say on rules since the game originated here. That's it. If that's juvenile so be it. But that's my honest opinion.

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2010, 10:11:01 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
and hooligan.....

Juvenile? Maybe. Plain wrong however? I'm not so sure. But I do see your point about all the other leagues having different rules. But I still say by in large we should be the final say on rules since the game originated here. That's it. If that's juvenile so be it. But that's my honest opinion.

and what about the fact "we" have changed the rules multiple times since the game was created, let alone the different rules for different leagues??

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2010, 10:19:32 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Personally, I don't watch too much of either international basketball or college basketball, where in either case the athletes are not competing under any form of a monetary contract. For this reason I feel that it would be silly for FIBA to try and pressure the NBA or other basketball leagues (whether it be Euro, South or Central-American leagues or even American college basketball) into adopting their own rules when those leagues operate independently of how international basketball operates.

It would be like if the governing body behind NCAA basketball were to try to cajole the NBA into changing its shot-clock or moving the 3-point line, or if the NBA did that to another league. Though, in the NBA's case they might have the extra leverage being that they are the league that both college players and certain athletes who have competed in FIBA tournaments before would most want to play in. The NBA, the same league in which Bill Simmons jokingly refers to as the 'No Benjamins Association' is still the most-watched basketball league in the world.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
and hooligan.....

Juvenile? Maybe. Plain wrong however? I'm not so sure. But I do see your point about all the other
leagues having different rules. But I still say by in large we should be the final say on rules since the game originated here. That's it. If that's juvenile so be it. But that's my honest opinion.

and what about the fact "we" have changed the rules multiple times since the game was created, let
alone the different rules for different leagues??

This is a very good point and one I touched on briefly earlier. In the early 70's and 80's the game was marred by ugly out of hand brawls sparked by extremely physical play. Some people prefer the extremely physical play. I for one think it can easily tend to get out of hand when it's not being refereed properly as we saw with the Greece Serbia brawl this year. But don't get me wrong the NBA could use more physicality but not to the FIBA point. I saw a guy hipcheck Derrick Rose on the break to stop a fastbreak. Sorry but I'd rather see the dunk then them take it out of bounds with no real penalty such as a foul shot and the ball back. If its like how it once was here to me it's behind the times. Not completely mind you I like some physicality but just not silly rules like that last example.

The NBA got away from that type of play because as a whole the thinking was let's open the game up and let the players play. And with the old style of play they couldn't because they were basically bogged down. I'd rather see the skill and athleticism shine through personally. But to each his own. I understand you and others might like the other style. But ultimately I feel our governing body should have the final say on rules. Just like England with football. And I personally think if that were the case they'd just play by current NBA rules and the product on the floor to me anyways would be a lot more enjoyable to watch. More skill guys. Less cheap shots flops and goons.  

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2010, 10:39:20 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
But ultimately I feel our governing body should have the final say on rules.

who is our governing body?!?!?! 

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
DL...you are getting sucked into this ignorant thread. Ignore it....we all know its not hard to change the TV channel.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
DL...you are getting sucked into this ignorant thread. Ignore it....we all know its not hard to change the TV channel.

lol....ur so right!  tp.  im done and moving on.  thanks for the wake up call :)

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 11:55:41 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Ok, I just don't get what the big deal is. FIBA game and NBA game have coexisted without a lot of trouble. The game of basketball belongs to present and future people who play it, not to a single nation/country, not to the Naismith family... wouldn't it be nice if the Naismiths owned the rules?  ;D

some facts:

Althought FIBA was founded in 1932, the first WC was played in 1950. The first NBA season was 49-50, so the first NBA finals were played in april, while the first FIBA WC was played in november, the same year.

The first Eurobasket was played in 1935, in Geneva. Meanwhile, the American Basket League ruled in America, sorry, in the USA.

The original diference is not about age or seniority, but about the professional vs. amateur approach to the game. The world's economy has evolved, and since the 80s, althought under different rules and model, basketball is a global professional game, just like football(soccer) or the  US main sports, or Aussie's... even rugby was caught under this process.

The only reason FIBA adopts NBA rules is because NBA is not only the most watched, but the best basketball league worldwide. Eventually, if European basketball, or Chinese basketball, or African basketball evolve to catch up with NBA (maybe in 50 or 150 years, if they still play basketball), or even surpass it, NBA will adopt foreign rules.

Hooligan, you should be proud about the NBA being the best bball league in the world right now, not about Mr. Naismith. And it's not the world vs. USA, it's just that everybody wants to play with the best and try to beat them. Naismith's legacy became universal, it's not in the US DNA, not in the blood. That line of thinking belongs to the Ancien Regime, they thought there was only some people (the rightly born ones) who deserved some privileges. In this case, we would be talking about the right to change the rules of bball. I can't believe you think  people from the USA have more rights than people from other countries, in any aspect of life, even something superficial like bball rules.

I like the Celtics more than any other basketball team, because they play a team game, look for the extra pass, but also play good defense. They represent the best of both the FIBA and the NBA, and I guess that's why Herr Stern and ESPN-Nike et al, dislike the Green Machine. The NBA and its rules have evolved to maximize the game of basket hero-super-hyper-mega stars (no handchecking, star privileged treatment by the refs...), producing highlight plays, leading to who is the greatest star debates, rankings, gear selling competitions... The ultimate entertainment-business sports model. The Celtics are genuine, they're not just "another team". That's why we all bleed green.

We don't have to agree about everything, but the best way to be respected is to show respect... it all starts with treating everyone else as your equals, no matter if they come from Sweden or Sudan.

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
We don't have to agree about everything, but the best way to be respected is to show respect... it all starts with treating everyone else as your equals, no matter if they come from Sweden or Sudan.

Very well said....TP. The OP did come across as rude and arrogant.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi