Author Topic: Spurs (37-14) at Celtics (30-22) 4/4  (Read 71148 times)

Re: Spurs (37-14) at Celtics (30-22) 4/4
« Reply #555 on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
well at least the sixers lost and it was the spurs so it wasnt that bad. Plus bradley played awesome  :)
This is what I was going to ask right now, good thing takes the stinging away a bit. :-X

Never thought theyd get blown out by the Raptors so its all good
Couldn't see that one coming anybody behind Philly creeping up on us?

It's a tough loss because we fell behind one game in the loss column to Orlando. As it is now, we get the 4th seed but Orlando has HCA. It would be nice to get the 4th seed and HCA as well. The 3rd seed is even a possibility as we're only 2 games down in the loss column to the Pacers.   

« Reply #556 on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I must say, Bradley is really proving himself. This guy is the real deal. He has definitely blossomed into the player the Celtics wanted, and he's only going to get better.

Ray really didn't have a great night tonight, but, as expected, when the team needed him to hit a big shot, he hit it for us late in the game to give us a chance to win it all. I'm not going to lie, the Celtics are definitely back. They are most definitely back.

The way the Celtics are playing right now, they can beat any team in this league in a 7 game series. Anybody blaming Doc for this loss is just plain wrong. The players collectively lost this game, not the coach. They had their chances, and it's the little things that ended up costing them this game. I mean, some Spurs players hit some wide open shots, they grabbed offensive rebounds that we should have got and gave themselves another chance to score. That's all it really is, guys.

Our guys had a number of makeable shots that just didn't drop. Our defense was tight as hell, even with Ray in there. It wasn't Ray who often times failed his defensive assignment. However, I wouldn't dare say any player in particular failed tonight. This was a fantastic game by both teams, the Spurs just had enough to pull it out in the end. I'm not at all bothered by this loss to such a fantastic team, possibly the best in the West.

Id give Ray the pass tonight as he was just getting back from injuries.

I wish we had Scal just for this game though. He used to limit the Dirks/Odoms/Bonners of the world for us.

« Reply #557 on: April 04, 2012, 10:41:27 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
well at least the sixers lost and it was the spurs so it wasnt that bad. Plus bradley played awesome  :)
This is what I was going to ask right now, good thing takes the stinging away a bit. :-X

Never thought theyd get blown out by the Raptors so its all good
Couldn't see that one coming anybody behind Philly creeping up on us?

It's a tough loss because we fell behind one game in the loss column to Orlando. As it is now, we get the 4th seed but Orlando has HCA. It would be nice to get the 4th seed and HCA as well. The 3rd seed is even a possibility as we're only 2 games down in the loss column to the Pacers.   

Yeah well we cant have everything though, so I'l take the sixers lose as a consolation.

« Reply #558 on: April 04, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
No team that we meet in the playoffs will have to scout our final shot strategies.

Doc only has one play.

Yeah according to one Spurs fan on their blog I was talking to

"Yeah honestly I would have been more afraid of a set up multi-screen play for a Ray Allen jumper."

i don't know what that Spurs fan was afraid of - unless he thought the Celtics might not be dumb enough to run the same last-second-shot play 92 times in a row.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:07:26 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #559 on: April 04, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
i'm still for Bradley starting the kid is hungry.

« Reply #560 on: April 04, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

« Reply #561 on: April 04, 2012, 11:28:55 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
The Spurs' GM Buford and Coach Popp are like the Pioli/Belicheck of the NBA. They sign and draft players most of us never heard of and basically make chicken salad from chicken poop. Danny Green couldn't crack the rotation at Cleveland and is starting for the Spurs? Kahwli Leonard? Come on! Their bench scored 50pts and grabbed 30 brds. That is ridiculous. If they actually start playing defense, look out.

« Reply #562 on: April 05, 2012, 06:04:32 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Sometimes I wish Doc was more reactionary.

Avery Bradley could probably score 40 and Doc would probably not react.

What more could Avery possibly do to get starter's minutes?

It's so illogical I can only come to the conclusion Doc figures Austin will be around next year and Avery won't
Reactionary coaching on any level is bad coaching. Consistency is the name of the game
How about just playing the best players the most minutes?
The Celtics 6 best players played the most minutes, what's your complaint?
Too many minutes for Ray. Not enough for Avery. It's that simple.  If Avery wants to start he has to grow a beard or something, and start complaining of arthritis apparently. Get some old man "injury" like sore knees or something. Then maybe Doc will start him.
Ray played 34 minutes and Bradley 30. I don't see the problem. Its not like Bradley was on the bench for huge minutes while Ray played. Ray played a ton of SF tonight. Bradley got 30 minutes of backcourt play almost every minute as a shooting guard. Bradley played more minutes at the 2 than Ray.

Was he supposed to play all 48 minutes?
YES! Well maybe not all 48, but we lost by one single point. At the end. Should the 34 year old coming off an injury play more minutes than the 21 year old on a tear? 
Doc has no issue playing his 30 year olds 40 mins or so. There should be no problem with getting about that many for AB right now

« Reply #563 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's so illogical I can only come to the conclusion Doc figures Austin will be around next year and Avery won't
Reactionary coaching on any level is bad coaching. Consistency is the name of the game
Too many minutes for Ray. Not enough for Avery. It's that simple.  If Avery wants to start he has to grow a beard or something, and start complaining of arthritis apparently. Get some old man "injury" like sore knees or something. Then maybe Doc will start him.
Ray played 34 minutes and Bradley 30. I don't see the problem. Its not like Bradley was on the bench for huge minutes while Ray played. Ray played a ton of SF tonight. Bradley got 30 minutes of backcourt play almost every minute as a shooting guard. Bradley played more minutes at the 2 than Ray.

YES! Well maybe not all 48, but we lost by one single point. At the end. Should the 34 year old coming off an injury play more minutes than the 21 year old on a tear? 
Doc has no issue playing his 30 year olds 40 mins or so. There should be no problem with getting about that many for AB right now
The updated box score is out. It shows Bradley playing 34 minutes, Allen 35, Pierce 35, Garnett 33, Bass 29 and Rondo 44.

No 30+ year old played 40 minutes and Allen played ONE minutes more than Bradley yet Bradley played 30 of his minutes as a SG and 4 minutes as a PG.

Ray Allen spent more of his night playing the SF position than he did the SG position and without Ray's 3 at the end there is no last second chance to win it.

Kind of a strange argument you have claiming Doc did something wrong in under utilizing Bradley when he played the most minutes on the team at the SG position and played the second most minutes to Rondo in the back court.

Also, don't make stuff up to further your point. No 30 year old played 40 minutes.

« Reply #564 on: April 05, 2012, 03:51:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The updated box score is out. It shows Bradley playing 34 minutes, Allen 35, Pierce 35, Garnett 33, Bass 29 and Rondo 44.

No 30+ year old played 40 minutes and Allen played ONE minutes more than Bradley yet Bradley played 30 of his minutes as a SG and 4 minutes as a PG.

Ray Allen spent more of his night playing the SF position than he did the SG position and without Ray's 3 at the end there is no last second chance to win it.

Kind of a strange argument you have claiming Doc did something wrong in under utilizing Bradley when he played the most minutes on the team at the SG position and played the second most minutes to Rondo in the back court.

Also, don't make stuff up to further your point. No 30 year old played 40 minutes.
Yup. Just like I said. Too little Avery. Too much Ray.

Kinda like if Tom Brady played 3 quarters and a little bit in another one and Bobby Hoyer played most of a different quarter and the team lost by a single point despite a last second TD that ALMOST won it.  Yup. Too much Bobby and too little Tom. But Bobby is good! Yup. Too much Bobby and too little Tom.

Speaking of not making stuff up try not to misquote or misparaphrase me. I said he has no issues playing the 30 year olds 40 minutes. I didn't say anybody did. Don't just look at what I say please. Please also look at what I do not say.

« Reply #565 on: April 05, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Kinda like if Tom Brady played 3 quarters and a little bit in another one and Bobby Hoyer played most of a different quarter and the team lost by a single point despite a last second TD that ALMOST won it.  Yup. Too much Bobby and too little Tom. But Bobby is good! Yup. Too much Bobby and too little Tom.

Speaking of not making stuff up try not to misquote or misparaphrase me. I said he has no issues playing the 30 year olds 40 minutes. I didn't say anybody did. Don't just look at what I say please. Please also look at what I do not say.
The analogy makes no sense. There's only one QB position on a football team and QB is never subbed for on the basis of a player being tired or needing time out of the game.

Apples and oranges.

But your never gonna change your mind no matter how much anyone shows that Bradley played.

Whatever.

« Reply #566 on: April 05, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The analogy makes no sense. There's only one QB position on a football team and QB is never subbed for on the basis of a player being tired or needing time out of the game.

Apples and oranges.

But your never gonna change your mind no matter how much anyone shows that Bradley played.

Whatever.
I don't understand why it was soooooooo impossible to give a 21 year old on a tear about 42 mins in a pretty busy week and give a very old player coming back from injury in the 20s and why that would just be so dumb and inappropriate. The game was lost by a point? Do you think maybe, just maybe giving more minutes to the younger faster confident and healthy guy might have been wiser than the rusty and recently hurt guy?
I wonder what else could make the analogy? Who would you want doing surgery? A young and upcoming doctor or the brilliant veteran doctor that broke both hands in a terrible accident in multiple places and hasn't been in the OR in a year and just popped out of physical therapy?  Is that analogy just soooooo hard to understand or just soooooo not a good comparison? Or is it absolutely spot on?
Yup. More Bradley. Less Ray. That would have been better.