Author Topic: Royce White missing games and practices  (Read 16070 times)

Re: Royce White missing games and practices
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Honestly what makes you think they didn't have a "strong" plan in place? They were negotiating with him and his agent before he even reported to camp initially.

Based on the current acrimony that plan that Royce agreed to is no longer to his liking. This isn't the Dolan's and their mess of an ownership, I doubt the Rockets have been running around violating the initial agreement they setup with Royce and his agent/lawyer/doctors.

Honestly, what makes you think they're being 100% upfront with how they've handled this situation? We're both making assumptions - you're assuming Houston is a well oiled machine, but who really knows what has been said behind the scenes. Maybe I'm assuming Royce doesn't have another agenda here because I've personally dealt a lot with ignorant people making hurtful, uninformed comments about mental health issues. One thing I feel pretty confident of, there's two sides to every story and we may never know how this has really played out between both parties. Royce is Twitter as his primary mouthpiece and that comes with its own disadvantages and the Rockets have PR team dedicatied to spinning this into the team's favor.I just think its really arrogant to assume that the Rockets are the perfectly run organization and they may not be making their own missteps, and it sounds like they have. Part of having a "strong plan" in place is outlining boundaries and consequences of certain behavior. Its not just getting him an RV or a car service.
Totally agree, TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Royce White is prepared to consider walking away from the NBA.

White plans on meeting with Houston Rockets' general manager Daryl Morey to discuss his ongoing situation.

The Rockets will continue to fine White for every day he remains away from the team or does not attend sessions with a therapist.

White and the Rockets have been in a dispute about how they are helping him with his anxiety disorder.

Via ESPN

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
All while Sully posts a double -double.  ;)

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I liked how Houston handled this most recent situation. Heavy handed and fining Royce White for not living up to his obligations.

Royce White wanted Houston to make special allowances for him due to his condition, the Rockets complied, they made an agreement stating those conditions and Royce White failed to meet his obligations.

Looks to me like someone who is almost going out of his way to cause problems in Houston (either he is doing this intentionally or he is just handling this situation so bloody awful that it looks that way). That mess in training camp should have been dealt with way before October. Back in the middle of summer. Instead, knowing that there was a problem and he needed Houston's help to nagivate it, Royce Whitewaited until he could make the most noise, create the most publicity and only talked about it then. Trying to show up the team. Instead of going out and dealing with a problem he knew was there months prior.

And now he is at again. Seems like a spoilt brat who insists everything in the world revolve around him and answer his every whim. Not just needs. Whim. And the minute something doesn't go his way (no playing time), he acts up again. I bet this most recent issue wouldn't have even happened if White was in the starting lineup playing 30+ minutes a night.

We'll see how this plays out in time but that is my read on him so far. He doesn't look like someone who is willing to put the work in (both on the court in terms of earning his playing time and off the court in terms of handling his condition). Wants everything instantly with no regard for the situation or anyone around him + throws a hissy fit when he doesn't get it. Anyway, we'll see ... but initial signs are very worrying for Houston.

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I liked how Houston handled this most recent situation. Heavy handed and fining Royce White for not living up to his obligations.

Royce White wanted Houston to make special allowances for him due to his condition, the Rockets complied, they made an agreement stating those conditions and Royce White failed to meet his obligations.

Looks to me like someone who is almost going out of his way to cause problems in Houston (either he is doing this intentionally or he is just handling this situation so bloody awful that it looks that way). That mess in training camp should have been dealt with way before October. Back in the middle of summer. Instead, knowing that there was a problem and he needed Houston's help to nagivate it, Royce Whitewaited until he could make the most noise, create the most publicity and only talked about it then. Trying to show up the team. Instead of going out and dealing with a problem he knew was there months prior.

And now he is at again. Seems like a spoilt brat who insists everything in the world revolve around him and answer his every whim. Not just needs. Whim. And the minute something doesn't go his way (no playing time), he acts up again. I bet this most recent issue wouldn't have even happened if White was in the starting lineup playing 30+ minutes a night.

We'll see how this plays out in time but that is my read on him so far. He doesn't look like someone who is willing to put the work in (both on the court in terms of earning his playing time and off the court in terms of handling his condition). Wants everything instantly with no regard for the situation or anyone around him + throws a hissy fit when he doesn't get it. Anyway, we'll see ... but initial signs are very worrying for Houston.

The problem with the situation is that if you look at it from White's perspective, his actions make more sense than Houston's.

He is the expert on his own condition, and it seems like he was able to handle it most of the time in college. And the testimonies about him are generally positive.

He obviously needs a firm support system around him for therapy and daily routines, and if those aren't around, he probably can't function as an NBA player. The problem here is, whether you allow him to be the judge on what he needs or not. And from his perspective it doesn't really make sense to leave this to anyone else. That may sound entitled, and it is a real problem for the organization, but how else can he deal with it?

I agree that he should have solved most of this before training camp, but I will cut him some slack. First of all there is no precedent, not with the Rockets, not in the NBA and probably not in most professional sports. Secondly, given the nature of his problems, going to the Rockets and - as his first action as a rookie - walk into the office and say "Houston, we have a problem..." would probably be a huge trigger for his anxiety. Maybe someone else should have made that call and set things in motion.

I hope that they work things out, since the Rockets actually have sounded like they were commited to do that. But it could very well be, that White's conditions are too severe for an NBA career. I have wondered that since I saw Grantland's short documentary about his draft day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:01:55 PM by European NBA fan »

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2012, 09:43:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Just say'in....I have "heard" commments , just outside of sports, it seems that often people with a problem such as "air travel" in Whites instance have more than one demon in the closet. Semi hidden issues related to his overall frame of mind.

One particular phobia may headline or be obvious , chances are more issues are lurking /other phobias masked .

Sorry as I am for his man, his issues are nothing knew and if it was managable , he would have probally be able to deal with his demons by now. 
My guess is he spends the rest of his life dealing with these crippling issues.

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2012, 10:58:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Just say'in....I have "heard" commments , just outside of sports, it seems that often people with a problem such as "air travel" in Whites instance have more than one demon in the closet. Semi hidden issues related to his overall frame of mind.

One particular phobia may headline or be obvious , chances are more issues are lurking /other phobias masked .

Sorry as I am for his man, his issues are nothing knew and if it was managable , he would have probally be able to deal with his demons by now. 
My guess is he spends the rest of his life dealing with these crippling issues.

I really encourage people to educate themselves more on mental health. I'm not singling you out, Shaqattack, I'm just speaking about some of the comments here. Its so easy for people to judge what the don't understand.

I have bipolar disorder, I also have a very successful career and stable private life. He can manage his issues with proper treatment and support. Is there a deeper issue for him that plays a central role to his disorder? Its possible. I personally had a difficult childhood, but I know many individuals dealing with different disorders that had completely normal, healthy childhoods and have loving families.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2012, 11:02:55 PM »

Offline billgiddens

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
His best friend or something died in some way that was highly traumatic for Royce. Shortly after, he was on a plane and became terrified of dying, but he couldn't get off the plane and it was very traumatic.

That's why he has that issue with planes. I had a bad feeling about it even before the draft, and he probably would have been better off being more honest with teams and getting drafted in the second round by a team like Boston or another vet team that wouldn't need him to produce right away.

This situation wouldn't be so stressful for HOU and White if hadn't been a mid-first rounder.

« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2012, 11:14:27 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
His best friend or something died in some way that was highly traumatic for Royce. Shortly after, he was on a plane and became terrified of dying, but he couldn't get off the plane and it was very traumatic.

That's why he has that issue with planes. I had a bad feeling about it even before the draft, and he probably would have been better off being more honest with teams and getting drafted in the second round by a team like Boston or another vet team that wouldn't need him to produce right away.

This situation wouldn't be so stressful for HOU and White if hadn't been a mid-first rounder.

You can accuse White of a couple of things, but not being honest about his problems is absolutely not one of them. He is probably a top five-seven talent, and the Rockets decided to take the risk with his conditions.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:29:54 PM by European NBA fan »

« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2012, 11:41:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If he can't get over this fear of flying, Royce White should go to Europe and play pro ball over there. A small country where flying is unnecessary. Like Israel. Play on a team without European commitments (again, to avoid flying) and earn good money doing so.

That is a long way off though. Just something he should consider if can't make it work in the NBA after the next few years.

« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2012, 01:37:36 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
If he can't get over this fear of flying, Royce White should go to Europe and play pro ball over there. A small country where flying is unnecessary. Like Israel. Play on a team without European commitments (again, to avoid flying) and earn good money doing so.

That is a long way off though. Just something he should consider if can't make it work in the NBA after the next few years.

How does he get to Europe?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2012, 02:41:20 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

How does he get to Europe?
Haha! By kayak!

« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2012, 02:44:33 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
This kid is a punk.  Buy him out, cut your losses, move on. 

I felt bad for him originally, but this is just a joke now. 

He has an illness, no doubt about it, but this is the NBA.  He knew well before coming in about the demands of it.  I mean, was he expecting the Rockets to allow him to miss a week of games when he had to make a swing from the East coast to the West coast and by bus?  The Rockets are at fault for taking him and knowing what they were taking on, but he is at fault, too, for allowing all of this to happen as well.  It takes two to tango, as the old saying goes.

Word is the Globetrotters want to help him out...they don't travel by air to games in the mainland and they said they would let him miss overseas contests...let him go.  While he won't be making NBA money, at least he can still be utilizing his basketball talents in some capacity. 

This is a situation that just needs to be put to rest.  The kid has the talent but not the mental capacity for the league.  Houston needs to buy him out, give him one big paycheck and wish him luck.

« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2012, 02:54:35 AM »

Offline billgiddens

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
Royce White screwed up by not just going to the DLeague. No planes, low stress, put on a show, and come back and get into the deep rotation. Out of the limelight. Now he might be out of the game.

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2012, 03:56:12 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I'm just glad we didn't draft him. More issues than he's worth.
I moved the cheese.