Author Topic: Anybody you hope we DON'T draft this year?  (Read 15508 times)

Re: Anybody you hope we DON'T draft this year?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Players I would feel comfortable drafting:

1. Wiggins
2. Parker
3. Embiid
4. Randle
5. Smart
6. Exum
7. Vonleh
8. McDermott
9. James Young
10. Gordon

Players I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting:

1. Cauley-Stein
2. Harris
3. Saric
4. Anderson
5. Ennis
6. G-Rob III
7. Grant
8. LaVine
9. McAdoo
10. Nash

Players who I find intriguing:

1. Christon
2. Walker
3. Clarkson
4. Fair
5. Poythress (he's been disappointing, but he's got an NBA body, is a good rebounder, plays well on the baseline, and is a terrific athlete).  I think he's one of those classic cases of a guy being a better pro than collegian.

you obviously follow college ball a lot more closely than i do. would you please expand and explain on why you put those guys in your "intriguing" catagory? i would really like to know more about them. thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
How about anybody kin to Bass  :-X

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »

Offline Sully7

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Not solid on Wiggins..reminds me too much of Green
Doug Mc won't be able to play D

Harris will be a stud.  If you can watch the Mich St. vs Mich game.  Lock down defender and despite his poor FG% this season a solid shot.

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »

Offline Sully7

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Cant watch smart play with out thinking about a bigger, stronger, Chauncy Billups….poor shot but a natural leader..will take 2-3 years to develop and a patient team.  Will need shooters all around him though.

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:22 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
hwangjini - I would be happy to elaborate. :)

1.  I find Christon intriguing because he's a point guard with great speed and finishing ability. He's constantly attacking the rim and putting pressure on the defense. His shooting needs work, but his percentages are way up from his freshman season (save for FT's).  I also like that his turnovers have gone down as well. Some scouts say that he has a little John Wall in his game, but he's not a pure point like Wall is.  Furthermore, I've seen him play twice on TV and really liked what I saw.  He seems like he could  be a GREAT backup to Rondo.

2.  Walker is due to play his first game for Florida next Tuesday, as the NCAA has just cleared him to play.  He's a 6'10 PF/C who was rated as the 6th best incoming Freshman by Rivals.com.  I'm also pretty sure that ESPN had him in their Top 15 as well.  Many pundits have said that when Walker returns, that it will put Florida over the top and make them a true National Championship contender.  Anyway, Walker is a PF with SF skills and can do it all.  Very good rebounder and shot-blocker and has 3-pt range on his jumper.  He averaged 32 pts, 15 rbs, and 6 blocks in 2011.

3.  Clarkson is a kid who transferred to Mizzou from Tulsa and has really shot up draft boards this year.  He's a 6'5 PG who can really get to the basket and finish, as he already has an NBA body.  He's an excellent defender and really tries to get his teammates involved on the offensive end.  Like Christon, he needs to work on his jumpshot, but his overall shooting percentages (save for 3pt this year) have gone up every year.  Personally, I have an affinity for players who get better in every category from one year to the next.  His scoring averages have gone from 11.5 to 16.5 to 18.5 and his rebounding and assist #'s are up as well.  I've seen him play three times and believe he could make an excellent 3rd guard for someone.

4.  I like Fair, because he reminds me of a cross between Stacey Augmon (who was also a lefty) and Corey Brewer --  long athletic 3's who can defend, get out on the break and finish with authority.  Fair is a better scorer than both guys I mentioned, so that's why I'm high on him.  Additionally, he's a kid that's gotten better every year and as he goes, so does Cuse.

5. Out of the five players on my intriguing list, Poythress is my favorite.  He measured 6'9" in shoes, has a 7'1" wingspan, and already has a sculpted NBA frame.  He averaged 11 pts and 6 rebounds (on raw ability alone) as a freshman.  He still needs to figure out what kind of player he wants to be, but his ability to finish and crash the boards are probably his biggest strengths.  With Julius Randle getting most of the PF minutes, Poythress' production has gone down, but I believe he'd be a 16 and 8 guy if given Randle's minutes.  I like that he has both the agility and ability to defend both forward spots, and his athleticism will also allow him to block some shots as well.  Finally, if he decides he wants to be a 3, then he will need to work on both his handle and jumpshot.  He has very good form, so that's a plus.  If he decides he wants to be a 4, then he'll need to learn some post-moves, develop a reliable 15-18 footer, and learn how to beat slower 4's out on the perimeter.