Author Topic: Anybody you hope we DON'T draft this year?  (Read 15509 times)

Anybody you hope we DON'T draft this year?
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:23:12 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I know a bunch of people like Aaron Gordon, but I have a feeling that his ceiling is around Derrick Williams'. Problem is he has no jumper.

I wouldn't mind getting him, as he could be a decent trade chip, but I wouldn't want to waste our first pick for him.

If we can get him with the Nets pick or something, that'd be okay. This isn't someone I want to invest a high lottery pick on, though.
I like Marcus Smart

Re: Anybody you hope we DON'T draft this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 12:28:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think you're misreading Derrick Williams there, not that Gordon's ceiling is above or below him, just that Williams has a jumper. He hasn't ever lived up to his '50% from 3 in college' hype but he's got a jumper.

The guy I hope we don't draft: Anyone not named Parker, Wiggins, Randle or Smart.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 12:53:16 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
1 Aaron Gordon
 Why not:
·Tweener
·No jump shot
·No post game
·Can't create offense
·May be too small for the 4

2 Julius Randle
 Why Not:
·Slightly undersized
·Short arms
·Relies on strength (wont have strength advantage in NBA)
·Plays little to no defense

3 Marcus Smart, Noah Vonleh, Rodney Hood, James Young
· I like all of these players especially Marcus Smart but i would be disappointed if we end up with him because that would mean we miss out on potential superstars in Embiid, Parker, Exum, and Wiggins. It would suck to have this awful season and miss out on the top tier prospects in this highly anticipated draft. Long story short, I would be upset if we don't end up with the four aforementioned potential superstars.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:56:52 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Inside the top-5? Not really. I'd be very happy with any of Embiid/Parker/Wiggins/Randle/Exum/Smart in that order.

Outside? I don't know. Probably Gordon. Feel like Willie Cauley-Stein may be a bit hit or miss given the draft position, but could maybe be a bit like K-Mart?

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:18:10 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm going to live in blissful unlikely ignorance that we're drafting Jabari Parker in June.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 01:56:07 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
It depends on where we draft, really.  There are guys I'd be content with 6-10 that I'd be pretty bummed about 1-5.  In general, I'm not the biggest fan of Julius Randle, and while I love Smart as a future starter I don't think he's a future star. 

I expect Randle to face a tough adjustment period early in his NBA career - he won't be able to overpower defenders like he can now, and smarter players will force him to his weak off hand.  He also doesn't defend consistently at an acceptable level right now - and like many young bigs, he fouls when he does put it in on that end. 

As for Marcus Smart, I don't see the upside.  To be fair, I basically think his worst case scenario is a rock-solid starter - somebody like Gerald Henderson (who I believe would be very well-regarded by fans if he played anywhere but Charlotte, but alas).  On the other hand, is there a tremendous difference between his floor and his ceiling?  Looks like a very good two-way player who does some of everything but excels at nothing.  If I'm a team who needs one more piece to contend, then I'd love to have him.  Unfortunately, the team who drafts him will be one who needs the elite, dominant player who will carry it for years, and I don't see that in him.

Again though - I don't want either of those guys at 1-5, but I'd be more than happy with them 6-10.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 02:21:55 AM »

Offline kingtutts

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Aaron Gordon is Shawn Marion 2.0.  That guy will always have job in the NBA.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 02:22:59 AM »

fitzhickey

Aaron Gordon is Shawn Marion 2.0.  That guy will always have job in the NBA.
Shawn Marion was the bomb

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 02:44:43 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think you're misreading Derrick Williams there, not that Gordon's ceiling is above or below him, just that Williams has a jumper. He hasn't ever lived up to his '50% from 3 in college' hype but he's got a jumper.

The guy I hope we don't draft: Anyone not named Parker, Wiggins, Randle or Smart.

Not impressed with Joel Embiid or the Australian kid?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 02:46:54 AM »

fitzhickey

Exum is going to have a better career than Randle, Smart, and Wiggins barring injury.

Heard it first here

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 03:04:30 AM »

Offline kingtutts

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Have you seen him play?

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 03:06:44 AM »

fitzhickey

Have you seen him play?
Yep. He lived in the same city as me. A mate of mine who plays college ball in USA plays with him on the Aussie u17 side.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 03:25:52 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Exum is going to have a better career than Randle, Smart, and Wiggins barring injury.

Heard it first here

Sorry.  You're nowhere near first.  Dante Exum has been discovered. 

Anyway, I wasn't doubting him.  I was just asking IP why he didn't have Exum or Embiid on his wish list.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 03:27:45 AM »

fitzhickey

Heard it first here

Sorry.  You're nowhere near first.  Dante Exum has been discovered. 

Anyway, I wasn't doubting him.  I was just asking IP why he didn't have Exum or Embiid on his wish list.
Just a joke man.

Lots of people have been salivating over Embiid, so that makes me curious too.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 04:36:39 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Add me to the list of Randle doubters. I know it's in vogue to bash this guy recently but the statistical theory that players who have low steal numbers in college don't succeed in the NBA seems to make a lot of sense.

If you're going to succeed in the NBA you need to be superior athletically to the average college player, or offer some amazing skill like shooting + height. Randle doesn't shoot from distance, is not particularly tall, and has paltry steal numbers. I think he's a hard worker but it doesn't bode well for his NBA ceiling.