Author Topic: BOS with the 15th pick, draftexpress says we get Austin Rivers  (Read 15317 times)

Re: BOS with the 15th pick, draftexpress says we get Austin Rivers
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
If this draft does end up being as stacked as it could be, it would be the perfect opportunity to trade him and get an actual stud.  Rivers is an OJ Mayo/Monta Ellis type player.  He's very ball dominant and hasn't shown that he has the off the ball skills to play the two yet and hasn't shown the passing ability to play the one yet.  If we can package our picks to move up and get a guy like Jeremy Lamb or Bradley Beal, it would be much better for the Celtics future.  Yes, they aren't as flashy as Rivers, but their game is much better suited for the NBA. 
do it

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If this draft does end up being as stacked as it could be, it would be the perfect opportunity to trade him and get an actual stud.  Rivers is an OJ Mayo/Monta Ellis type player.  He's very ball dominant and hasn't shown that he has the off the ball skills to play the two yet and hasn't shown the passing ability to play the one yet.  If we can package our picks to move up and get a guy like Jeremy Lamb or Bradley Beal, it would be much better for the Celtics future.  Yes, they aren't as flashy as Rivers, but their game is much better suited for the NBA.  
I'd be up for trying to move up in the draft but me thinks that our second pick won't get us that much further up.  Adding the 23rd probably wouldn't get us into the top ten I don't think.  More likely would move us about three spots perhaps. 

So is that high enough to get Beal or Lamb?  Don't know, just asking.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:05:44 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
If this draft does end up being as stacked as it could be, it would be the perfect opportunity to trade him and get an actual stud.  Rivers is an OJ Mayo/Monta Ellis type player.  He's very ball dominant and hasn't shown that he has the off the ball skills to play the two yet and hasn't shown the passing ability to play the one yet.  If we can package our picks to move up and get a guy like Jeremy Lamb or Bradley Beal, it would be much better for the Celtics future.  Yes, they aren't as flashy as Rivers, but their game is much better suited for the NBA.  
I'd be up for trying to move up in the draft but me thinks that our second pick won't get us that much further up.  Adding the 23rd probably wouldn't get us into the top ten I don't think.  More likely would move us about three spots perhaps. 

I don't know about Lamb or Beal but we can definitely move up the draft, our two picks plus Green S&T or Bass S&T, we have JJJ etc.

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

I don't know about Lamb or Beal but we can definitely move up the draft, our two picks plus Green S&T or Bass S&T, we have JJJ etc.
Not sure any of that will get us in the top ten either.  Green is coming off heart surgery, Bass is overrated by most Celt fans, and JJ is unproven at best.  Sorry.

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »

Offline GreenSun

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • "It ain't easy being green" - Kermit the Frog
I think I heard that Austin is staying in school another yr.  I'm sure his dad will encourage him to do so.  It's not like the family needs the $$$$$....  So keep dreaming (or having nightmares, depending on how you see this scenario).

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »

Offline Ticketz

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
There is NO WAY. Rivers isn't a top 5 pick... Draft express has that one all wrong

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Not sure any of that will get us in the top ten either.  Green is coming off heart surgery, Bass is overrated by most Celt fans, and JJ is unproven at best.  Sorry.

I think we can get between 11-14 with what we can offer, some teams might want a player drafted at 15. We have assets, might even take on a contract with our cap space.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Just an observation, but does anyone else think Rivers is highly unusual for a coach's kid? I usually associate that with "heady," "plays the right way," good character etc.

And here we have Rivers, who is knocked for being selfish, making bad decisions, pouting, etc.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Rivers would be a fine pick & addition.  If we could land a talent like this I'd be ecstatic.

It's funny how people think he's a finished product on offense & defense.  The sky is the limit for this kid, bottom line.  On both ends of the floor.  There is a reason he is at Duke, and has the ability to come out as a frosh.  The reason isn't because of daddy.  Kid has a mad skill set and the ability to develop into a special special player.

To those that think his dad wouldn't want to coach him, etc.  How do you come up with that ?  How do you speculate on a subject like that ?  One could argue that the reason Doc is back is because of the opportunity.  Ainge & Doc could have this all planned out and we wouldn't even realize it (Trading Perk for a pick, losing Allen & KG at the same time as Rivers coming out, etc).  Who really knows.

Just a guess & my own opinion, but I believe a dad like Doc would love to coach his own son. How would a guy like Doc who travels to his kids game time & time again be against seeing his son daily & coaching him ? Being a players coach, I think Doc would be good at it as well.  There is no wishy washy with him, it's straight up or go home.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »

Offline bostonpatriot

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 6
I don't think Austin Rivers can play the wing in the NBA. I wouldn't mind to trade Rondo for a high-level prospect big (a high draft pick?) and let Rivers develop as a PG for a few years.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 12:59:05 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Just an observation, but does anyone else think Rivers is highly unusual for a coach's kid? I usually associate that with "heady," "plays the right way," good character etc.

And here we have Rivers, who is knocked for being selfish, making bad decisions, pouting, etc.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread.  It is shocking how little Rivers resembles other coaches sons.  He is almost literally the anti-coaches son. 

And for the record, I don't think he will amount to much in the NBA.  He has talent but not as much as he thinks.  He is a ball hog supreme with very little basketball IQ.

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Frankly, he could use another year at Duke, even though he's a guaranteed 1st round pick.

That said, on the chance he could come out this year when we'd have a shot at him, and assuming he's wanted by the C's organization, does that affect the team's level of willingness to talk about moving Rondo?

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He is a ball hog supreme with very little basketball IQ.

How exactly do you come to this conclusion?

It seems all the scouts (college and pro) praise him for his BB IQ.  He might be a ball dominant guard, which you call selfish, but most elite-level scoring guards are.

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I don't watch much it any college ball so can someone tell me is Rivers really that good? There seems to be a blog wide obsession with him. I personally don't get excited about Doc coaching his own son and I doubt Austin wants to be stuck with his dad as a coach quite yet.

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't watch much it any college ball so can someone tell me is Rivers really that good? There seems to be a blog wide obsession with him. I personally don't get excited about Doc coaching his own son and I doubt Austin wants to be stuck with his dad as a coach quite yet.

I don't watch much college ball myself, but I've always been a big Duke fan and do watch their games as often as I can.

Rivers definitely has the potential to be an elite scorer in the NBA.  His biggest weakness right now, as with most young players, is shot selection.  He has progressed in this area though, as the season has gone on.  Personally, I think he could use one more year under Coach K though.