Author Topic: BOS with the 15th pick, draftexpress says we get Austin Rivers  (Read 15311 times)

BOS with the 15th pick, draftexpress says we get Austin Rivers
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:54 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
As of now we have the 8th seed in the east and we have the 15th pick and there's no tiebreaker with other teams.

Draftexpress have us taking Austin Rivers and they also rank him 15th, he was top 20 a while ago, I hope he doesn't climb further or some team ahead get him to then sell high to Boston.

Or Memphis (Chris Wallace) try to trade up with Mayo and their first and maybe arthur.

Re: BOS with the 15th pick, draftexpress says we get Austin Rivers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:16:24 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
As of now we have the 8th seed in the east and we have the 15th pick and there's no tiebreaker with other teams.

Draftexpress have us taking Austin Rivers and they also rank him 15th, he was top 20 a while ago, I hope he doesn't climb further or some team ahead get him to then sell high to Boston.

Or Memphis (Chris Wallace) try to trade up with Mayo and their first and maybe arthur.

This is just me, but Cleveland will take Austin Rivers. I can see it. They have no depth at SF and SG, but the SG spot is a little more weaker. So Terrence Jones or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is still available, this is perfect scenario for Cleveland.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  Personally I don't think Doc would sign off on coaching his own son.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:36:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
We need young talented bigs first and formost.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »

Offline rasta1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
We need young talented bigs first and formost.

Do we?

I think we need servicable bigs moreso

like bigs that can do their jobs correctly

play defense and grab rebounds and score easy points...perkins was a servicable one

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I wonder if that would ever really happen.

Part of me thinks Doc would love it, but part of me bets he doesn't love the way his son plays at atimes and knows it could be tough.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Well, I hope this doesn't happen for a couple of reasons.  One, I think the kid is a headcase who is  of nearly as good as he thinks he is.  I am shocked at how little a playmaker he is given his pedigree.  Two, the combination of a headcase with his father would be combustible.  It would not go well IMO.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
  Personally I don't think Doc would sign off on coaching his own son.

I'm not sure if I would go that far, but he has deliberately kept his distance over the years.  He's made it very clear that he's wanted to be Austin's Dad, not his Coach (kind of the antithesis of Todd Marinovich's father).

With that said...  Austin will be what, 20 years old when he's drafted?  Maybe Doc figures that he's been "just Dad" long enough, and that their relationship can handle that other dynamic.  

If Rivers is available when the C's draft, they have to take him.  He's not perfect.  He's a little small to play the off-guard, and he might not be a natural 1 (although I'm not sure if his father was a "classic" PG, either; Danny Ainge certainly wasn't).  

But, he's got the potential to be a game-changer.  At the very least, he's a poor man's Monta Ellis, which would be pretty [dang] good to get from the #15 pick.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:06 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think Austin will have a really good tournament which means he'll go higher than 15.  Teams love scoring guards who aren't afraid to step up on the big stage, especially from major schools like Duke.

The draft is deep, though.  Whoever we take at 15 will likely become a valuable player for us!
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Part of me thinks Doc would love it, but part of me bets he doesn't love the way his son plays at atimes and knows it could be tough.

I think Doc wants no part of it.  He knows better than anyone how important chemistry is, and how volatile NBA egos are, and he knows how much extra drama it would produce on the team if he played Rivers over other players, and how much drama there would be at home if he didn't.  It's a no-win situation.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:05:34 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I think Doc wants no part of it.  He knows better than anyone how important chemistry is, and how volatile NBA egos are, and he knows how much extra drama it would produce on the team if he played Rivers over other players, and how much drama there would be at home if he didn't.  It's a no-win situation.

I agree with this...if we do draft Austin, itll put Doc in a tough situation, but imagine if Austin becomes a star for the Celts...

best father/son duo in the NBA?

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

I don't think Doc would WANT to do it, but if the opportunity presents itself...   Danny's going to make the pick.  Doc makes a lot of money to coach the players he's given, and Danny stuck his neck out for Doc when many other GMs would have shown him the door.  Danny would call in a favor, so to speak.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Think of the pros rather than the cons, Rivers is a must in Boston, he's a scorer and our team needs scorers.

Pierce retires in 2 years if he's not traded.. and Ray Allen is 37 and on the verge of retirement, KG the same. Rondo doesn't score, We need scorers after they're all retired.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »

Offline justin_bobo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm completely against it. The cons far outway the possible pros in this situation. This could create mayhem in the locker room if not handled with precision, and could also create mayhem at home.

Plus, if Doc knows his son's game that well, won't that make him easy to defend for Doc's team? I'd rather see them play against each other.
St. Louis Bombers (formerly Sacremento Kings)

PG-Tyreke Evans/Avery Bradley/John Lucas III
SG-Nick Young/Rudy Fernandez
SF-Linas Kleiza/MarShon Brooks
PF-Al Harrington/Kenneth Faried/Reggie Evans
 C-Roy Hibbert/Ian Mahinmi/Jason Smith  10.18

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'm not in Doc's, Danny's, or Austin's mind, so I can't really say for certain.  It does strike me though as a dynamic that would be very dangerous.

Sure, if things are going well, it would be fine.  Maybe even fantastic.  But if things go sour (i.e. the team struggles), man could there be the potential for resentment.

These guys are all pros, but, just think back to when you were a kid.  The coach's kid was almost always universally resented.