Author Topic: Welcome to the team Grant Williams!  (Read 7501 times)

Re: Welcome to the team Grant Williams!
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Williams seems like JB and him will really hit it off..

I'm actually pleased with this pick. No doubt Stevens will force him to expand his range.

As a child, Grant learned to play seven instruments, including clarinet, violin, piano and drums. He became a nationally ranked chess player in elementary school and competed in a Math Olympiad.

He performed in musicals in high school, singing a duet in the production “Anything Goes” as a senior.

He is nearly fluent in Spanish and hopes to learn French next.

He chose Tennessee after considering several Ivy League offers, including Harvard and Yale.

When he’s not on the court, Williams probably can be found engrossed in a board game called Settlers of Catan. He plays several times a day in a group that consists mostly of the team’s walk-ons. Williams brings Catan on road trips to pass time in the hotel. He even autographed a fan’s Catan box after a public practice in Columbus, Ohio, last weekend.

“When we’re on the free-throw line in games, Grant loves to shout out [the shooter’s] free-throw percentage,” senior forward Kyle Alexander said. “I don’t know if he’s trying to mess with their head or what. But we’ll be ready to block out and he’ll say, ‘This guy is a 66 percent free-throw shooter. It’s coming off.’ Or, “This guy shoots 83 percent. First one is going in.’ We’re like, ‘Grant, how do you know this?’ “

I LOVE this guy!

Re: Welcome to the team Grant Williams!
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Williams is an undersized forward at 6’7 which is small for a player who lacks in athleticism and makes most of his impact in the post … Not an explosive athlete, plays below the rim … Foul prone, fouled out of 4 games including two matchups against top talent in the country in Gonzaga and Kansas … Williams struggles to stay in front of quicker guards due to his lack of athleticism and height … While capable of hitting from beyond the arc, Williams digressed from his freshman year to junior year. Very capable from mid-range and the free throw line, but needs to continually improve from three if he plans to find a role as a small-ball four in the NBA … Hesitant to utilize jumper, typically makes impact in the post or opts to pass on open shot to get the ball into the block … Williams may struggle to create off the dribble considering we saw most of his offensive skill set in the post or catch-and-shoot opportunities on the perimeter.

Mocks had him in the mid to late 30s.

That is a garbage scouting report. Is that only the cons section?

Grant Williams was a national player of the year candidate and took a Tennessee on his back. But ya lets not mention any of his defensive intangibles and only focus on the negative aspects of his game.

I'm not saying he's a top tier but he was properly drafted at 22.

15 picks too high
You reallllly don't like Williams. Who would you have taken?

There were better picks.

Unfortunately some were small forwards.

But bazley, little, johnson, for a few

I would also bet team could have picked langford at this spot and taken goga at 14.

Goga and langford
Or
Langford and williams.

Not even a close decision

Most mocks had Langford gone by 20. ESPN ranked him 13th on their board, the Ringer had him going 15 to Detroit in their mock, Jeff Goodman had him 15, a bunch of other places had in right around the 12-17 range.

Also two guys I respect a lot, Sam Vecenie and Kevin O Connor had G Willimas ranked pretty high.

I do think its interesting tho that MEM moved from 23 to 21 jumping us to take Clarke. That would indicate they thought the C's were taking him at 22.

Yeah, all 3 players we selected went where they were projected, on multiple trustworthy mocks. Not a single one was a reach. I'm not sure what draft board Silky is using to justify his statements.

Draftnet and espn had him in the 20s.

Williams late first second round.

That is not made up. Its fact

Draftnet is terrible. And I cant say where the EPSN mock had him, but their own draft tracker had him 13th on their big board. Is it possible he was there at 20? Maybe, but saying we drafted him way out of range just isnt accurate.

lol at Draftnet saying so, so it's fact. Here's an aggregate mock (including Draftnet) of all mock drafts: https://hoopshype.com/2019/06/19/nba-mock-draft-rumors-updates-movement/

Romeo AGG is #19 (15-23)
Williams AGG is #30 (25-39)
Edwards AGG is #32 (28-38)

Some guys went later, some went sooner, not an exact science, but by no means were any of the picks a reach.