Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 77873 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 season
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2020, 12:23:19 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
So is the Patriots season basically over at this point? If they lose Cam Newton for several weeks do you expect them to still make the playoffs?

Truthfully I think the whole NFL season could be in jeopardy soon if they get more cases. This isn't like the MLB where they can just schedule doubleheaders or have stretches of "5 games in 3 days" to make up games. NFL's probably going to have to really consider adding another 1-2 weeks to the season to make up games. Otherwise if they play this game on Tuesday, then the Chiefs are legit in a stretch where they have 3 games in 9 days, since they'll have another game next Sunday AND Thursday night football next week

And now it looks like the Saints have a positive case according to Jay Glazer.

These next few days are about to be WILD, and not in a good way.

Also the rest of the Pats got their test results back and were all negative, but of course they'll continue to get tested in the coming days and are not out of the woods yet. Still awaiting KC's tests for today. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2020, 02:33:48 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The NFL is the only league attempting to play a full schedule. On top of that, no bubble either. They should have at least scheduled only 14 games. This would have allowed for some wiggle room for scheduling conflicts due to positive tests.

I was so looking forward to tomorrow's game too.

« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2020, 11:45:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Pats-Chiefs rescheduled to tomorrow, 7:05 PM EST (on CBS). Falcons-Packers was the original MNF and it'll be shifted to 8:50 PM EST. So a Monday night doubleheader tomorrow 

On a side note, I can 1000% guarantee you if this were Mahomes testing positive and not Newton, they'd have suspended this game longer. Probably wouldn't have had it played this week either. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 11:53:01 AM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2020, 01:53:53 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Pats-Chiefs rescheduled to tomorrow, 7:05 PM EST (on CBS). Falcons-Packers was the original MNF and it'll be shifted to 8:50 PM EST. So a Monday night doubleheader tomorrow 

On a side note, I can 1000% guarantee you if this were Mahomes testing positive and not Newton, they'd have suspended this game longer. Probably wouldn't have had it played this week either.

NFL can't afford to let their golden boy sit out while watching the Chiefs get rekt in Arrowhead on national TV.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

NFL can't afford to let their golden boy sit out while watching the Chiefs get rekt in Arrowhead on national TV.

Agree it is ridiculous. This league is almost as corrupt as the NBA.

As a Pats fan we had to hear endlessly about asterisks, while the media ignored all the other BS that was going on. Time to start handing some out ourselves. The game tomorrow gets one for sure.

« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2020, 10:20:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I predicted the Bucs would be a wild card team. Not a true SB contender but a playoff team.

However, seeing how they've looked lately AND seeing the other NFC teams, honestly they may really be SB contenders if Brady and the offense can keep it up. Not just "mild contenders" or pretenders either.

OJ Howard is a big loss (suffered an Achilles injury) but they've still got enough on offense.

Yeah there may be some weaknesses in the Bucs defense but my question is.... how many other elite NFC teams actually have an elite defense? Not the Packers. Definitely not the Seahawks. Those teams mostly need their QBs to score 30+ every game to have a chance. Bucs probably do too but they are certainly in the mix.

Plus it seems the Saints aren't what they used to be either. Barely beat the Lions today. Hell, maybe the Bucs win the NFC South  :o

« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2020, 10:24:41 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I predicted the Bucs would be a wild card team. Not a true SB contender but a playoff team.

However, seeing how they've looked lately AND seeing the other NFC teams, honestly they may really be SB contenders if Brady and the offense can keep it up. Not just "mild contenders" or pretenders either.

OJ Howard is a big loss (suffered an Achilles injury) but they've still got enough on offense.

Yeah there may be some weaknesses in the Bucs defense but my question is.... how many other elite NFC teams actually have an elite defense? Not the Packers. Definitely not the Seahawks. Those teams mostly need their QBs to score 30+ every game to have a chance. Bucs probably do too but they are certainly in the mix.

Plus it seems the Saints aren't what they used to be either. Barely beat the Lions today. Hell, maybe the Bucs win the NFC South  :o

Yeah I had the Bucs winning the NFC South since Brady came in lol. Road to the Superbowl might go through the Seahawks in CenturyLink Field I presume. Those guys are just killing it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2020, 10:25:13 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

I think this is the best game from Tom Brady I've seen in a while. The dude turned back the clock with some of the deep throws he was getting to his receivers. I'm starting to feel validated thinking that Brady's "decline" last year was mostly due to having abhorrent receivers and no tight end.

For the Bucs, it seems like their secondary is their biggest weakness right now. I was kinda surprised we didn't see any Earl Thomas to Tampa rumors.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2020, 12:40:41 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2020, 12:03:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I think this is the best game from Tom Brady I've seen in a while. The dude turned back the clock with some of the deep throws he was getting to his receivers. I'm starting to feel validated thinking that Brady's "decline" last year was mostly due to having abhorrent receivers and no tight end.

For the Bucs, it seems like their secondary is their biggest weakness right now. I was kinda surprised we didn't see any Earl Thomas to Tampa rumors.

TP. Agree 100%.

I've said the same about Wentz too in recent years. They just don't have weapons on the teams they were/are in and it's unfair to put that on them. But the Bucs offense is LOADED. Even with OJ Howard likely out for the season they have a lot of depth. Also, Brady seems to love utilizing TEs in the offense (not just Gronk, but others too), but when Gronk "retired" in 2019 the Pats did nothing at that position at all. Didn't help White and Edelman were also banged up for parts of 2019 which hurt Brady and the offense too.

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2020, 12:12:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2020, 01:01:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2020, 01:02:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why the heck is Hoyer going to start today?

What is the upside of starting Hoyer?  There's no chance that they will win with him under center.  I don't care how much they rely on the run game.

Even if Stidham is perhaps not totally ready, I'd much rather give him some reps and see what he can do, even if they lose by 20 points.  They'll probably lose by that much anyway.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2020, 01:20:55 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

What is the upside of starting Hoyer?  There's no chance that they will win with him under center.  I don't care how much they rely on the run game.

Even if Stidham is perhaps not totally ready, I'd much rather give him some reps and see what he can do, even if they lose by 20 points.  They'll probably lose by that much anyway.

I agree. Hoyer's a dead end at this point—he is what he is, and won't get better. Stidham, though, has the potential of getting better.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2020, 03:00:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

I agree. Hoyer's a dead end at this point—he is what he is, and won't get better. Stidham, though, has the potential of getting better.

Totally agree with you both.   Really disappointing not to see Stidham and can't help but think that this means that BB isn't happy with his progress.