Author Topic: Nader is actually traded to okc  (Read 8806 times)

Nader is actually traded to okc
« on: July 23, 2018, 09:04:19 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
The Celtics are finalizing trade to send Abdel Nader to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Rodney Purvis, league sources tell Yahoo. Boston decided to part ways with Nader over weekend, worked trade to OKC.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1021561118098120704?s=21

Re: Nader is actually traded to okc
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Quote from: Keith Smith
The Boston Celtics trading Abdel Nader to the Oklahoma City Thunder instead of simply waiving him, will save Boston $450K and take them further under the luxury tax. The Celtics will ultimately waive Rodney Purvis, who is fully non-guaranteed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:13:50 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Nice trade!

Sources: Boston sending cash considerations along with Abdel Nader to OKC

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1021564838722629634
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:20:33 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Farewell sweet prince.

Hope Nader gets an opportunity for minutes somewhere. Seems like a good dude. Just needs the game to slow down for him.

If they waive Purvis, I think they'd be 2.3 mil over so Dabusele might not be long for this team if they want to get under the luxury tax line.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Boston Celtics trading Abdel Nader to the Oklahoma City Thunder instead of simply waiving him, will save Boston $450K and take them further under the luxury tax. The Celtics will ultimately waive Rodney Purvis, who is fully non-guaranteed.

How does this get them under the tax?

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:22:34 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
This really brings us "closer to" the luxury tax, rather than "further under" the luxury tax.

I'm curious why OKC wanted Nader instead of Purvis' non-guaranteed salary.  Do they plan to give Nader a spot in their rotation?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:29:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
This really brings us "closer to" the luxury tax, rather than "further under" the luxury tax.

I'm curious why OKC wanted Nader instead of Purvis' non-guaranteed salary.  Do they plan to give Nader a spot in their rotation?
Probably not.  I'd expect the cash considerations more than made up for the extra 450k + luxury tax that Nader costs them.  Unlike us, there is no way OKC is getting under the luxury tax this season. 

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Nader costs less against the luxury tax.  He saves OKC $790k at their current tax rate, plus they probably get a little cash from the C’s.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 09:33:41 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
At this point, I can’t see anything other than a Marcus Morris deal as a realistic option to get us under the tax threshold, so the move basically means nothing.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 09:38:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Nader costs less against the luxury tax.  He saves OKC $790k at their current tax rate, plus they probably get a little cash from the C’s.

On the flip, this move by the celtics indicates that either 1) we plan to roll with 14 players this season (I think unlikely) or 2) this frees up another signing down the road, which would put us further into the tax, which means another move is to come.  I guess another move is to come down the road regardless actually.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He's going to turn into a 29 point, 6 assist folk hero.   :laugh:
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Are those his career totals?

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 10:10:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Projected 5-year career totals.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 10:20:00 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Projected 5-year career totals.

I won’t even try to turn that into per 36 averages.

Wonder if he’ll go abroad. Odds of a payday and a major role seem better there.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Bobby Marks: The Celtics will save roughly $675K towards the luxury tax and $450K in salary by sending Abdel Nader to Oklahoma City and by not outright waiving the former second-round pick. /quote]