Author Topic: Pac 12 Head of Officials said he would reward refs for giving technicals  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Rewarding refs for giving technicals is terrible, because refs want to be rewarded and slight mishaps will turn into Ts. Ruining the game.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wonder why they singled out Miller - was he really a jerk to officials, or was it just because he almost never gets technicals?  Or did Rush just dislike him?  If this is true, wonder what the background is.

I don't think it was a legit bribe, but was probably one of those "Hahaha I'll pay you guys to T him, not really, but seriously, someone should T him up."  Either way it's still wildly inappropriate for the head of officials.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Is anyone truly surprised by a former NBA ref trying to make the game all about him?

Rush should have been terminated by now. Larry Scott's response serves to only call his own credibility into question.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is anyone truly surprised by a former NBA ref trying to make the game all about him?

Rush should have been terminated by now. Larry Scott's response serves to only call his own credibility into question.
I think its funny that two NBA refs have such similar names that I was really confused by this story.

I was wondering when Eddie'd left the NBA, was recalling games this season with him....

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't think it was a legit bribe, but was probably one of those "Hahaha I'll pay you guys to T him, not really, but seriously, someone should T him up."  Either way it's still wildly inappropriate for the head of officials.
Fireable offense.

You can't have a supervisor joking about such things with his employees. The analogy that comes to my head is an insurance claims department head making jokes about "deny more claims" to his employees. Actionable for bad faith lawsuits and all sorts of things.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Fireable offense.

You can't have a supervisor joking about such things with his employees. The analogy that comes to my head is an insurance claims department head making jokes about "deny more claims" to his employees. Actionable for bad faith lawsuits and all sorts of things.

Agree.  The only difference between this and a "real" bribe offer is that there shouldn't be any need to get the legal system involved.  But if it's true (and it appears it is) Rush should be gone ASAP.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Pac-12 friendly spin:

"This is just a disgruntled ref who wasn't getting enough games"

"This was just Rush trying to get 'bench decorum' in line"

Either way its a supervisor putting pressure on his employees to call technicals on a specific coach.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Pac-12 officiating has been corrupt in football for awhile now.

Hardly surprising that an ex-NBA guy corrupted basketball for them, aided and abetted by the commissioner. And now, the thin striped line is at work, with Steve Javie  defending Rush on ESPN.

Either fire Rush, or admit you're corrupt, Larry Scott.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:19:36 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
The refs overturned that Colorado win at Arizona at the buzzer to help the Wildcats go to OT and win a game they should have lost.

Yes, Pac-12 officiating has a bad rep. But, no, the Wildcats have not had the worst of it.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
The refs overturned that Colorado win at Arizona at the buzzer to help the Wildcats go to OT and win a game they should have lost.

Yes, Pac-12 officiating has a bad rep. But, no, the Wildcats have not had the worst of it.

Since you seem to follow the league, any idea why Miller would be singled out?  It was his first T of the year so it doesn't seem like he gets into a lot of confrontations with the refs.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Update:  Rush resigns.  Probably best for everyone, especially if the extra stuff in this article is true.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9135767/pac-12-conference-ref-boss-ed-rush-resigns-technical-foul-bounty-scandal
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:59:20 AM by fairweatherfan »