Author Topic: How do the Celtics get out of Gordon Hayward's contract?  (Read 2452 times)

Re: How do the Celtics get out of Gordon Hayward's contract?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I would trade Hayward in a heartbeat right now.

His value is OK, barely.

I do not see any way that even allstar Utah hayward works with 2 superior players in Kyrie, and potentially Davis.

Also, Horford, at his best, is that secondary ball handler, playmaker.

All this would relegate Hayward to remold his game into a defensive 3pt shooter who can attack the basket in the halfcourt if the defenses rush him.

I just do not see that skillset from him at all, never did in fact. He is like Demar Derozan, needs the ball to be effective.

I would move him for front court help. I can see Denver, Charlotte, Detroit, Clippers, Lakers all being interested.

I understand wanting to trade him if you think chemistry doesn’t work, but at least wait to confirm that and also give him chance to improve his contract value before you trade him.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Wait two years.

Exactly. Plus, if Kyrie bolts, no Horford resign, 2021 will have us so far under the cap our heads will spin. Guess what big free agent is available that year? All in on the 26 year old Giannis? George and Lillard are also free that year as are Beal, and Oladipo.

Hayward will only get better as well so trading him now makes zero sense to me.

Patience is key especially when our worst case scenario is holding onto Brown and Tatum while they get better and mature and a big free agent can be roped back to Boston. Our timeline is wide open depending on what happens in June/July...either way we will either be amazing next year with Davis and Kyrie or we have to wait 2 years to be amazing again(if not sooner if one of the big free agents demands out).

The worst thing that could happen with my scenario for FA targeting is that the Bucks win it all this year or even make it to the finals....worried they could become the Cavs of this past decade is a big problem with Giannis ever leaving. He appears happy there as well and is not your typical Diva superstar as well due to how far he has come from his upbringing.

Keep our picks, no Davis trade, let Kyrie walk, wait until 2021.

That sounds like the best strategy to me.

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Wait two years.

Exactly. Plus, if Kyrie bolts, no Horford resign, 2021 will have us so far under the cap our heads will spin. Guess what big free agent is available that year? All in on the 26 year old Giannis? George and Lillard are also free that year as are Beal, and Oladipo.

Patience is key especially when our worst case scenario is holding onto Brown and Tatum while they get better and mature and a big free agent can be roped back to Boston. Our timeline is wide open depending on what happens in June/July...either way we will either be amazing next year with Davis and Kyrie or we have to wait 2 years to be amazing again(if not sooner if one of the big free agents demands out).

The worst thing that could happen with my scenario for FA targeting is that the Bucks win it all this year or even make it to the finals....worried they could become the Cavs of this past decade is a big problem with Giannis ever leaving. He appears happy there as well and is not your typical Diva superstar as well due to how far he has come from his upbringing.

Right because players are clamoring to join the Celtics one day? Let’s be real fellas we aren’t an attractive location anymore and teams are getting better in the east.

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 02:26:51 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The value of every player on the Celtics will rise over the first three months of next season. Then Danny can do some trading if he wants. 

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 02:51:55 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Wait two years.

Right because players are clamoring to join the Celtics one day? Let’s be real fellas we aren’t an attractive location anymore and teams are getting better in the east.

I guess you missed the point. If we do as suggested, we will have a young core and tons of money to spend on two max free agents.

Danny got three allstars none of whom will win us a championship. Time to ditch them and retool.

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 03:07:33 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Wait two years.

I guess you missed the point. If we do as suggested, we will have a young core and tons of money to spend on two max free agents.

Danny got three allstars none of whom will win us a championship. Time to ditch them and retool.
Great, a young core that isn't good enough to build around, and a bunch of money that'll be used to get second-tier free agents because none of the big ones wanted to join. Welcome to what we call mediocrity!
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 03:15:41 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Wait two years.

Great, a young core that isn't good enough to build around, and a bunch of money that'll be used to get second-tier free agents because none of the big ones wanted to join. Welcome to what we call mediocrity!

Exactly... we are headed to nowhere but mediocrity. We might as well tank until 2021 according to your logic. That team doesn’t even beat philly. Y’all need to understand KD and Kyrie are going to the Knicks...unless we make some serious trades we are doomed.

Magic is up and coming, we have to watch out for the Nets and Detroit as well as all of those teams have Bigs with potential.  Let’s not forget about the Bulls who are developing, but hey I guess we can hang out hat on beating Wizards, Cavs, Cha. And Miami because that’s about the only people who that roster can beat.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:22:55 PM by RazzelnoDazzel »

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wait two years.

Only issue is I am tired of having to wait for "next year, when we have this" and "next year, when we have 2 max free agent slots."

The time to make our moves is now. Whether it's a trade for Beal or Davis or an upgrade at center and trying to either bring back Kyrie or replace him with an experienced point guard.

I really don't want to go down the path of building around Tatum and Brown and living on a prayer that in 2021, we'll be in the running for whoever the top 2 free agents are.

We'd be waiting for a star that will never fall.

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 03:39:48 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I would trade Hayward in a heartbeat right now.

His value is OK, barely.

I do not see any way that even allstar Utah hayward works with 2 superior players in Kyrie, and potentially Davis.

Also, Horford, at his best, is that secondary ball handler, playmaker.

All this would relegate Hayward to remold his game into a defensive 3pt shooter who can attack the basket in the halfcourt if the defenses rush him.

I just do not see that skillset from him at all, never did in fact. He is like Demar Derozan, needs the ball to be effective.

I would move him for front court help. I can see Denver, Charlotte, Detroit, Clippers, Lakers all being interested.

I understand wanting to trade him if you think chemistry doesn’t work, but at least wait to confirm that and also give him chance to improve his contract value before you trade him.

Why sacrifice time?

Why gamble on him not getting better when right now there is the question of fit