Author Topic: How do the Celtics get out of Gordon Hayward's contract?  (Read 2453 times)

How do the Celtics get out of Gordon Hayward's contract?
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
This is a thread about ways that the Celtics can move or eliminate Hayward's 4 year 120 million dollar contract.  Please post possible trade scenarios or contract witchcraft that may be helpful to the Celtics as this contract hamstrings them in both future trades and free agency with its salary cap implications.

Re: How do the Celtics get out of Gordon Hayward's contract?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:32:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Attach multiple first round picks to it or take back equally bad salary, that's pretty much it.

Not worth the cost, only two more years on his deal and the only way the C's really want the contract off books is if BOTH Kyrie/Horford are gone. In which case you cannot give up assets to dump Gordon.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:37:16 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Hassan Whiteside

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Hayward's contract has been a bad contract, but there are only two years left and that isn't crippling. It's much more important to retain Irving and acquire AD, and both can be done without touching Hayward. So I'm not even thinking about Hayward's contract.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 09:43:41 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Two things come to mind about Hayward's contract. One is that he's already halfway through it and the last year is a player option year. The second is that he did show a lot of improvement during the year, though he was very inconsistent.

There's no reason to panic about next year. He should have a much better season.

If not, maybe he agrees to opt-out of the last year and negotiate a more cap-friendly deal going forward.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
As poorly as the first two years have gone, I expect the next two should be much better. The only choice we have is to ride it out. I think with Irving gone, we'll actually need him. It makes no sense to use assets to get rid of him at this point.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:25:36 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
As poorly as the first two years have gone, I expect the next two should be much better. The only choice we have is to ride it out. I think with Irving gone, we'll actually need him. It makes no sense to use assets to get rid of him at this point.

I agree. Truth is, if Hayward does the off-season work he's talked about he might be able to play at a high level next season. If that happens and Irving walks, then it's Hayward's team going forward. The offense will largely run through him.

If he can't get back to that level next season, he enters an option year, and whatever.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 11:01:09 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think he was hampered by 3 things this year. 
1) He was not yet 100% with his health/confidence of his health until the end of year
2) Last year offseason was nearly 100% rehab, so basketball skills didn't get the reps he would want
3) He is a facilitator first that needs the ball to pass through his hands on most plays, or he zones out a little.

If 2 of the three don't happen this offseason I think he will be better next year.  If KI ends up leaving #3 will improve as well and he will be back much closer to Utah GH.  15-18 with 5 and 5 will be his ceiling if KI and AD are both on board.  He is not a demand scorer, he is a take it as it comes scorer, and those other two will demand the ball.  Very similar to AH actually in a SF body instead of a PF/C body.  Nobody complains about AH scoring...

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 11:28:02 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
On the contrary to most posters, I think we need to stop making Hayward a facilitator and make him more of a scoring threat. I was watching some old clips when he was healthy (in Utah) and the dude did damage in the half court, coming off back screens and pick and roll. He just moves really well without the ball and he finds open spots on the floor.

I think we’ll see the most effective version of GH when the team finally emphasizes movement and actually starts setting some real screens, guards included. GH is intelligent enough to make the right play and will pass if someone has a better shot. But he’s gotta be thinking shot first for him to be a threat, imo.

That style though doesn’t necessarily mesh with ball dominant players like Kyrie and Tatum but kyrie seems versatile enough at this stage in his career to mix up his game if needed (hopefully!).
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
You don’t dump an asset based on past performance right when you know it’s about to perform.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Only one year left before it becomes an asset. And If Hayward starts looking like 80% of Utah days you are looking for a very nice trade chip.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Wait two years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Wait two years.

Exactly. Plus, if Kyrie bolts, no Horford resign, 2021 will have us so far under the cap our heads will spin. Guess what big free agent is available that year? All in on the 26 year old Giannis? George and Lillard are also free that year as are Beal, and Oladipo.

Hayward will only get better as well so trading him now makes zero sense to me.

Patience is key especially when our worst case scenario is holding onto Brown and Tatum while they get better and mature and a big free agent can be roped back to Boston. Our timeline is wide open depending on what happens in June/July...either way we will either be amazing next year with Davis and Kyrie or we have to wait 2 years to be amazing again(if not sooner if one of the big free agents demands out).

The worst thing that could happen with my scenario for FA targeting is that the Bucks win it all this year or even make it to the finals....worried they could become the Cavs of this past decade is a big problem with Giannis ever leaving. He appears happy there as well and is not your typical Diva superstar as well due to how far he has come from his upbringing.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 12:19:23 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I would trade Hayward in a heartbeat right now.

His value is OK, barely.

I do not see any way that even allstar Utah hayward works with 2 superior players in Kyrie, and potentially Davis.

Also, Horford, at his best, is that secondary ball handler, playmaker.

All this would relegate Hayward to remold his game into a defensive 3pt shooter who can attack the basket in the halfcourt if the defenses rush him.

I just do not see that skillset from him at all, never did in fact. He is like Demar Derozan, needs the ball to be effective.

I would move him for front court help. I can see Denver, Charlotte, Detroit, Clippers, Lakers all being interested.

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I would trade Hayward in a heartbeat right now.

His value is OK, barely.

I do not see any way that even allstar Utah hayward works with 2 superior players in Kyrie, and potentially Davis.

Also, Horford, at his best, is that secondary ball handler, playmaker.

All this would relegate Hayward to remold his game into a defensive 3pt shooter who can attack the basket in the halfcourt if the defenses rush him.

I just do not see that skillset from him at all, never did in fact. He is like Demar Derozan, needs the ball to be effective.

I would move him for front court help. I can see Denver, Charlotte, Detroit, Clippers, Lakers all being interested.
to whom? for what?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva