Author Topic: In hindsight, should Danny have traded for Leonard??  (Read 3901 times)

Re: In hindsight, should Danny have traded for Leonard??
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 01:52:15 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So yes, Danny should of made the deal.
I love the way you and others are blaming Ainge for not completing a trade with San Antonio, when it appeared Ainge tried and was turned down.

You can't complete a trade when the team you want to trade with doesn't want what you are selling. Pops wanted a star. He didn't want youth that might someday become a star. DeRozan was available, so SA took that deal.

People can claim that Brown, filler and 3 picks( Sac, Mem, LAC) is a better package but only if the team wants to go for a rebuild. But for a team that wants to win now, it's a horrible deal

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 03:17:46 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I love the way you and others are blaming Ainge for not completing a trade with San Antonio when it appeared Ainge tried and was turned down.

You can't complete a trade when the team you want to trade with doesn't want what you are selling. Pops wanted a star. He didn't want youth that might someday become a star. DeRozan was available, so SA took that deal.

People can claim that Brown, filler and 3 picks( Sac, Mem, LAC) is a better package but only if the team wants to go for a rebuild. But for a team that wants to win now, it's a horrible deal
TP Nick.
Classical, blame first, care about the facts later material.
We wanted Kawhi, we couldn't get him.
Pop wanted established talent, DeRozan, it "worked out" for them.
I am sure that he is thrilled with the equivalent he got for Kawhi. Not.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 03:54:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
No -- not without more of a commitment than Kawhi was willing to give. Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum are too valuable to lose for a 1 year rental. Risk too high. I am happy Ainge did not make that deal.

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2019, 06:00:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557

I love the way you and others are blaming Ainge for not completing a trade with San Antonio, when it appeared Ainge tried and was turned down.

the reports I recall are that Ainge wouldn't put Brown on the table and that is why the trade never happened
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2019, 07:51:47 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
Raptors win title is only way KL stays ....even then its iffy imo

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2019, 08:07:46 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 676
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Really wouldn't make much of a difference. I think we will see the Raptors struggle against the Bucks much like the Cs did.

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2019, 08:22:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

the reports I recall are that Ainge wouldn't put Brown on the table and that is why the trade never happened
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/hunterfelt/2018/07/31/the-boston-celtics-kawhi-leonard-trade-san-antonio-spurs/amp/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjzucftvpjiAhXKl-AKHVlGAA4QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcelticswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F07%2F18%2Fkawhi-leonard-trade-spurs-celtics-jaylen-brown%2F&psig=AOvVaw0Mvaiq4pHKXGm41T03EtQL&ust=1557836371437385

These are what I read at the time and they said Spurs showed no interest in the Celtics offer.

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2019, 09:07:26 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I never mentioned Ainge. It's just a hypothetical.

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 09:13:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Naw I'm not second guessing it that much.

I get the focus on keeping all the pieces for AD and seeing what you have in this years team.

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
When Giannis Lebron's the Raptors and Leonard leaves, lets revisit the idea on if Danny should have traded for him. If he resigns, then yes, it was a missed opportunity for sure. Him and Kyrie would have been insane on the same team. For a one year only deal, it would make zero sense to gut your team for one chance at a title and then a longer rebuild is needed when you are left with nobody at the end of it.

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/hunterfelt/2018/07/31/the-boston-celtics-kawhi-leonard-trade-san-antonio-spurs/amp/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjzucftvpjiAhXKl-AKHVlGAA4QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcelticswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F07%2F18%2Fkawhi-leonard-trade-spurs-celtics-jaylen-brown%2F&psig=AOvVaw0Mvaiq4pHKXGm41T03EtQL&ust=1557836371437385

These are what I read at the time and they said Spurs showed no interest in the Celtics offer.
Those links say exactly what I said, the Celtics never offered Jaylen Brown.  In fact they didn't offer a single starter (so no Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, or Horford i.e. the presumed starting 5 last summer).  The Celtics offer was centered on draft picks, and the Spurs didn't want only draft pick capital.

Had Boston come out of the gate with Jaylen Brown and the Sacto pick (and filler), I think the trade would have been made.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2019, 10:05:08 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Kawhi for Kyrie? Yeah he should regret it. But that would have been a ballsy move given our depth chart

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2019, 10:07:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Really wouldn't make much of a difference. I think we will see the Raptors struggle against the Bucks much like the Cs did.

Raps have a much better chance

Just a better team