Author Topic: If no Kyrie, reunite George Hill and Hayward  (Read 2309 times)

Re: If no Kyrie, reunite George Hill and Hayward
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 01:23:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Not a bad idea. Hill would provide some leadership, experience and can still play. I'd still stay waive goodbye to Rozier and have Smart be the back-up point.

Smart > Hill

Not sure any team would start Hill, just have him on the team as back up and leader...

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Of the best we can do is greorge hill as a kyrie replacement then I dont wanna even watch the team.

At 33 years old, Hill would not be a Kyrie replacement. He would be a great addition to the back-court rotation. If you don't want to watch the team because they've added a veteran player in the off-season, that's your call.
Forgive us if adding an aging role player in exchange with an all star doesn't excite us.

Where do you get the idea that Hill would be considered a drop-in replacement for Irving? He'll be making about 20% of what Irving would make. He'd be a rotation player, and a very good one.

As for replacing Irving with another star, management will still have to deal with that. Hopefully it won't be a point guard. Relying on your point-guard to be your primary scorer and your ball distributor doesn't generally result in championships.

Ok. So you are advicating bringing in am 18 mill per season bench player.

Add that to our 30 mill per season bemch player and you are looking at the most highest paid bench in the league.

Or are you talking about him and hayward as starters. Both who have done nothing for an entire season to show they are suitable starters and have 50 million tied up in the 2 of them. Almost half ofbthe salary cap in george hill and hayward. Guys who couldnt get it done 5 years ago in utah before injuries and age slowed them.

Yeah.

Not behind this idea at all

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 01:35:34 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
At least according to Basketball Insiders, only $1 million of Hill's contract is guaranteed. I wouldn't think that the guarantee would be decisive as to whether they keep him or not.

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 01:38:52 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Part of the reason for my original post is about Hayward.

I think that if Irving walks, not only do the Celtics have to deal with the point-guard position, but they also need to refocus the offense around Hayward. He's on a max deal and he should be in much better physical and mental condition next season. Signing Hill would be part of an attempt to get the most out of Hayward.

I think this will be true even if the Celts acquire Davis. The offense will be built around Davis/Hayward surrounded by the right role players.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
At least according to Basketball Insiders, only $1 million of Hill's contract is guaranteed. I wouldn't think that the guarantee would be decisive as to whether they keep him or not.

According to Spotrac the full 18 million becomes guaranteed on July 2nd unless he is waived beforehand.

2019 $1 million guaranteed, full if not waived on or before 7/2/19

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
Of the best we can do is greorge hill as a kyrie replacement then I dont wanna even watch the team.

At 33 years old, Hill would not be a Kyrie replacement. He would be a great addition to the back-court rotation. If you don't want to watch the team because they've added a veteran player in the off-season, that's your call.
Forgive us if adding an aging role player in exchange with an all star doesn't excite us.

Where do you get the idea that Hill would be considered a drop-in replacement for Irving? He'll be making about 20% of what Irving would make. He'd be a rotation player, and a very good one.

As for replacing Irving with another star, management will still have to deal with that. Hopefully it won't be a point guard. Relying on your point-guard to be your primary scorer and your ball distributor doesn't generally result in championships.

Add that to our 30 mill per season bemch player and you are looking at the most highest paid bench in the league.

Or are you talking about him and hayward as starters. Both who have done nothing for an entire season to show they are suitable starters and have 50 million tied up in the 2 of them. Almost half ofbthe salary cap in george hill and hayward. Guys who couldnt get it done 5 years ago in utah before injuries and age slowed them.

Yeah.

I'm talking about paying him the mid-level exemption. Nothing remotely close to 18 million. You really have misunderstood this post on multiple levels.

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 02:19:59 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Yeah.

I'm talking about paying him the mid-level exemption. Nothing remotely close to 18 million. You really have misunderstood this post on multiple levels.

Even at mle level there are much better options.

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
With his regular season 31% 3pt shooting this year, he will fit right in. To be fair, he is a career 38% 3pt shooter, but he's not getting any younger. Maybe, if nothing better turns up.

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 02:35:43 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Recency bias galore!
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 03:11:10 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 03:15:08 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
For better or worse, if Kyrie does leave, I believe that the franchise will invest in Rozier as our PG of the (near) future. He is still young, incredibly athletic, and has shown flashes of brilliance (and quite the opposite at other times). The youth movement would be in full swing and with Rozier getting a lot more PT, his value would at least be a bit higher based on raw statistics. He is seemingly considerably better as a starter than a bench player, as well.

As for Hill, I could get on board with him as our bench PG. He is a solid defender, an excellent 3pt shooter, and would be a steady veteran presence.
I think you could bring Rozier back on a one year + an option contract with a modest pay raise. I don't think he'll get offered much in free agency, so the chance to come back as a starter and prove himself might be enticing.  This doesn't really excite me all that much but it may wind up being their best fall-back option.