Poll

Where will Gordon Hayward be in the next 2-3 years?

Better than he was in Utah. The reason Hayward came to Boston was to become the idealized version of himself. Top 20 Player in the league. Worth every penny of his contract.
2 (3.2%)
At the level he was at in Utah. Legitimate All Star. Top 30 Player in the League. Expensive but excellent player.
13 (20.6%)
Team leader. Top 50 Player. Completely addresses all of the issues that he had in 2018/2019. Doesn't quite live up to massive contract but still a valuable contributor to our finals contending team.
22 (34.9%)
Improved from 2018 season but never got back to where he was before the injury. He'd be a fine player if he made about half as much.
18 (28.6%)
Remains where he was in 2018. Hesitant, never gets back his athleticism.  Inconsistent. Often a liability on both ends of the floor. Albatross of a contract.
6 (9.5%)
Worst contract in the league. Regresses even from what we saw in 2018. Ultimately the biggest reason why the Celtics never reached their potential.
2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Time Capsule Tread: Who is in and Who is out on Gordon Hayward?  (Read 4453 times)

Re: Time Capsule Tread: Who is in and Who is out on Gordon Hayward?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 08:51:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
i believe DA will be willing to entertain certain trades on Hayward .

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I think you’ll see him back around the level he was in Utah, though adjusted to the lesser usage and role he has in Boston.

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 09:19:56 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
Option 2.  The basic stats such as PPG won't be the same as his Utah days where he was the primary option, but he'll still be our team's best playmaker that can score at critical times.

One thing is for certain - I do NOT want Hayward coming off the bench next season  A healthy Hayward is way too good of a player to be a 6th man and he needs to be a starter.  End of story.  With removal of the clutter on the team- i.e. Rozier and hopefully Morris (unless he's willing to come back on the cheap and accept a bench role, which is unlikely) - Hayward will get more touches over the course of the game.  I expect him to produce accordingly.

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 09:47:45 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
At the VERY LEAST he will be back to the player he was in Utah.

Remember - there were 5-10 games this season where this man simply took over games...was the BEST player on the floor. There were ANOTHER 5-10 games where he figured prominently in helping us win.

There was the one game in Indiana this post-season where Myles Turner put him on a poster then GH proceeded to pick Indy apart......

He scored 11 off the bench in that Game 1 win in MIL...then not only HIM but EVERYONE seemed to fall apart.......

Count me IN on Gordon Hayward. He WILL be back. I believe he'll prove ME wrong for ripping him apart after that game 4 in BOS.

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 09:58:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Option 2.  The basic stats such as PPG won't be the same as his Utah days where he was the primary option, but he'll still be our team's best playmaker that can score at critical times.

One thing is for certain - I do NOT want Hayward coming off the bench next season  A healthy Hayward is way too good of a player to be a 6th man and he needs to be a starter.  End of story.  With removal of the clutter on the team- i.e. Rozier and hopefully Morris (unless he's willing to come back on the cheap and accept a bench role, which is unlikely) - Hayward will get more touches over the course of the game.  I expect him to produce accordingly.
Yeah, right with you here. Brad has to use him right
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 11:04:58 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't know how anyone can call Hayward's contract the worst in the league.  Would you trade Hayward for John Wall at this point???

I believe in Hayward, but for me, he needs to step up and be much more assertive next year.  I am cautiously optimistic he will do so.  Let's see what he can do with a full off-season of training.  People forget that he wasn't cleared for 5-5 basketball until the maybe a week prior to training camp.  The constant comparisons to Paul George's situation are dumb because it's a different injury and Gordon ended up needing the 2nd surgery that really set him back.  All that said, no excuses moving forward.

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2019, 01:51:35 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I wouldn't mind starting him off the bench until he proves he's better than that, because for the vats majority of this year he wasn't. Theres no guarantee he will be next year either so he has to prove it, tho lot depends on what our roster looks like.

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2019, 03:41:30 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
If we trade Tatum or Brown, it opens up more opportunities.

Utah Jazz Hayward? Highly unlikely. That Hayward was given reins to be scoring option. His USG% was 28.6.

I just don't see him averaging similar numbers, but he could always throw down 14/4/4 with decent defense.

That is good enough.

I see Gordon's game flourishing with Tatum and Brown, because he is a facilitator.

I don't see his game advancing with Kyrie. They just don't mix well. It is pretty obvious. Each needs the ball a lot to be their best.

Unless Kyrie is willing to go to mostly off the ball, which I highly doubt, I think it is hard to imagine chemistry getting better next season if they both return.

Did Kyrie not play well off the ball next to Marcus Smart? I don't get it, do people just choose not to remember?

The only thing holding Gordon back is Gordon. And before we get to the dreaded "But Paul George's injury...." talk, keep this in mind from NBCSports:
We’re coming up on 19-month mark since that event. It’s becoming harder to fall back on that rationale. Paul George was averaging 27.2 points per game 16 months after his catastrophic leg injury in Las Vegas.

2-man lineup of Gordon and Kyrie had a net rating of 8.6 during the regular season,3rd highest of all other 2 man lineups with Kyrie in it (I'm excluding Theis/Kyrie as that didn't play together much. It's actually higher than Smart/Kyrie.

Playoff time it was bad at -3.5, but the only 2 man lineup with Kyrie in it that was positive was Kyrie/Al and Kyrie/Mook.

I didn't think they could play together either but the stats seem to say otherwise. What needs to happen is Kyrie needs to adapt his game to not be on the ball as much, which he showed this season he's more than capable of doing. Just that in the playoffs he either lost trust in his teammates or felt the need to do it all himself.

As for the poll, I picked #3 - I think he can turn himself into a team leader with a full offseason under his belt, and not coming off the bench and being given more opportunity to influence the game. But I don't think he'll be able to recapture his Utah form, I think the injury was just that bad that he's lost lift. But I think he'll be a solid 15/5/5 player who makes everyone around him better.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2019, 11:08:44 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
I never thought he was worth $30 million so I have been out.

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2019, 12:02:15 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Ive accepted the fact that he will never be Utah GH again.

We would be lucky to get 15/4/2 out of him for the next 2 yrs which still makes his contract bad.

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2019, 12:07:35 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I don't know how anyone can call Hayward's contract the worst in the league.  Would you trade Hayward for John Wall at this point???

I believe in Hayward, but for me, he needs to step up and be much more assertive next year.  I am cautiously optimistic he will do so.  Let's see what he can do with a full off-season of training.  People forget that he wasn't cleared for 5-5 basketball until the maybe a week prior to training camp.  The constant comparisons to Paul George's situation are dumb because it's a different injury and Gordon ended up needing the 2nd surgery that really set him back.  All that said, no excuses moving forward.

Right now, Its still GH who has the worst contract. By the time wall's contract extension kicks in then it would be Wall, unless he comes back as if he didn't left off...Hayward came back but was rendered a poor mans Evan Turner up until this point.

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2019, 12:21:15 AM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Right now, Its still GH who has the worst contract. By the time wall's contract extension kicks in then it would be Wall, unless he comes back as if he didn't left off...Hayward came back but was rendered a poor mans Evan Turner up until this point.

This argument makes ZERO sense.  You act as if Wall's extension is a hypothetical when it most certainly is not.  Meanwhile, Hayward has one year left and a player option.  Also, you dodged the question.  Would you trade Hayward for Wall right now?  Would anyone on this board?  Would anyone on this planet?

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2019, 12:25:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This argument makes ZERO sense.  You act as if Wall's extension is a hypothetical when it most certainly is not.  Meanwhile, Hayward has one year left and a player option.  Also, you dodged the question.  Would you trade Hayward for Wall right now?  Would anyone on this board?  Would anyone on this planet?
What about Chris Paul? Andrew Wiggins? Chandler Parsons? Nic Batum? Westbrook & Blake both have contracts that could get ugly quite quickly too.

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2019, 12:27:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Ive accepted the fact that he will never be Utah GH again.

We would be lucky to get 15/4/2 out of him for the next 2 yrs which still makes his contract bad.
This is just nonsense. He's already giving you 4+ and 3+ in limited and inconsistent minutes, and he still averaged approximately 12PPG. So he's basically at what you deem to be lucky when he gets minutes.

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2019, 10:19:22 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Hayward makes me long for Evan Turner.

I never liked the signing.